Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

I think we have done a great job on the public front, which is to say nothing about realignment, and say everything about being a good school for your current conference. Our only gaffe in this whole process was the revelation that we applied for ACC membership when UL, Cincy, and UConn did. Which wasn't that bad. 

Any future conference is likely going to put some weight on how good of a team player a member is. Cincy, UConn, Memphis and UCF are coming off cats in heat. It's not classy or respectable. They are acting like millennials, and we are acting like old schoolers. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,177
  • Days Won:  109

In his State of the Union address he Harlan) answered a question about the Big 12 and said he didn't think we were (at the time) in the top 2 choices.  So he's focusing on the reality of the situation.  He didn't say it wouldn't or couldn't happen.  Really don't think begging by the AD or President does anything IMO.  The conferences will pick who they want to join.  BYU with the no Sunday thing is the only odd situation. 

Edit: Why does answered seem so odd to type?

Edited by Bourbon Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Reeks of when we defended the Big East, just being honest.....we know how that turned out for us and Big East bigwig Judy

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

21 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Really don't think begging by the AD or President does anything IMO. 

I know some people are in favor of doing whatever to get in, but I can't stand the thought of groveling to the mighty few and I hope Harlan stays off that wagon.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

54 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Big12 is very much a basketball conference (6 of 10 in the AP Top 25 and 4 of 10 in WBB), UCONN and Cincinnati would add value to that.

http://cincyontheprowl.com/2015/04/06/bearcats-basketball-attendance-highest-in-mick-cronin-era/

Ill make a few counter points,  1. They don't need another Big time Basketball program since they already have a good Basketball conference as you state, but for how long? 2. Much easier to build a  good BB team than a FB Team, takes less time, can be done in  one or two recruiting cycles unlike football which typically takes longer.  3. Football is the Cash Cow, Not basketball.  (TV money, ticket sales ect..) (Fewer BB programs turn a profit than  football programs).(USF is reflective of this as well)  4.  Look at the Old Big East ( was the best BB conference in its day and now look at it)( One year its the Big East, one year the ACC, The next the Big 10 ect...)    So with that said I feel certain that  BB will NOT drive the expansion train.  I also think UConn is getting way too much credit for Big 12 consideration,  They are on an island by themselves (Worse the WVU)  , Also not much of a TV  market either. (# 30 )(we are # 13)  http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets  Not much for recruiting either.   Cincy is a legit threat to take a spot though. Good Football and BB for years, good recruiting base, (not as good as Florida) and about the same size tv market as UConn

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

Did we send any valentine cards to the big 12 schools?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I sure trust Harlan to do a better job than Woolard but it sounds like he is saying much the same thing.

"When deck chairs start moving around again, if there is an again, it's so unpredictable that it's almost tireless effort to try to predict when those things come up," Harlan said. "So I've just decided that the best thing we can do is just focus on ourselves and rise to the things that I know would make us great if things happened again.

"We are serious about trying to add great value to (the American Athletic) conference. It's very important to me and this institution that we do so. But also, we're aspirational, as we should be. And if there are things that happen, we want to make sure that we're in the best position, despite the fact that maybe approaches to those things are different from institution to institution."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-remains-cryptic-about-power-five-moves/2266477

Oh Christ I hope those deck chairs are not in the Titanic. 

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Oh Christ I hope those deck chairs are not in the Titanic. 

Turns out, administrators at both schools have met (to varying degrees) with Big 12 officials, who presumably will expand their league at some point. Meantime, any ongoing efforts by Bulls brass to market USF to the Power Five conference might best be described as covert.

"I'm very confident of where we sit and what we're doing," Bulls athletic director Mark Harlan said Friday. 

I like this statement the best "Im very confident of where we sit and what we're doing"  One would assume that it would mean getting into the Big leagues and not being left behind in the Pee Wee league.  Anyone who would think staying in the AAC instead of a power conference would need to be ran out of town  (Harlan appears to be too smart to think the AAC is the best option)

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

Big12 is very much a basketball conference (6 of 10 in the AP Top 25 and 4 of 10 in WBB), UCONN and Cincinnati would add value to that.

http://cincyontheprowl.com/2015/04/06/bearcats-basketball-attendance-highest-in-mick-cronin-era/

Yeah, the B12 is a basketball conference.  The last 2 season's they've had how many teams finish the season in the top 10?  ZERO.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

UCONN is on island, and USF isn't?  UCONN is only 525 miles from Morgantown, and about 795 from Cincy.  

USF is on an island but its smack in the middle of one of the largest tv markets in the country as I pointed out unlike UConn, and in one of the best if not best recruiting states in the country.    USF is about 100 miles OR so further away from Morgantown than Cincy is.  You do realize that we have airplanes so that 100 miles is  like 10 -15 minutes max more. But the time saved by not having to drive once they land will all but make up for it. TIA is one of the best airports in the nation with direct flights to most major cities or easy connections.   (Not even close) One of the best with on time arrivals and departures as well unlike the northern cities. (Every day there is a potential for a delay or cancellation flying into the Northeast esp during BB and Football season.

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1