Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

20 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

and the local writer "pimping" USF is?

Joey Kannigit pimped us today

http://web.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-still-a-buzz-word-in-big-12-expansion-plans/2263741

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

A big part of selecting schools is the money they bring to the table.. And of course size matters:

Some question size of UCF's endowment

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/os-ucf-endowment-questions-20150321-story.html

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

5 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

A big part of selecting schools is the money they bring to the table.. And of course size matters:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/os-ucf-endowment-questions-20150321-story.html

Wow, $75million for 7,000 expected students.  What a bargain.  I'm sure the Whorelando residents will support this incremental tax increase. :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

Can anyone post the article? I'm out of the free views

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,982
  • Days Won:  436

When it comes to Big 12 expansion, national media is ignorant about UCF

As it relates to the Big 12 and the red-hot, renewed expansion talk in college football’s most vulnerable and volatile Power Five conference, you would think the national media would be more educated about UCF.

This isn’t meant as a knock on anybody in particular, but the general tone I’ve seen and heard among some national writers and broadcasters is that UCF isn’t worthy of being in a Power Five league like the Big 12. You would expect such ignorance from some yahoo college football fan in Starkville, but the national media should be much more informed and astute.

They should know that expansion has little to do with the quality of your football program right at this minute and so much more to do with the number of cable TV sets you can deliver down the road.

Does anybody really think that the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland because of the caliber of their football programs? Of course not. They added Rutgers and Maryland because those schools would be able to deliver the expansive New York and Washington D.C. television markets and all millions of homes that would be contributing to the Big Ten Network.

The reason we’re talking about his now is because Oklahoma University President David Boren is once again pressing for the league to expand because he knows the Big 12 will continue to fall behind the SEC and the Big Ten if it stands pat.

A couple of weeks ago, after the NCAA changed its rules and permitted the Big 12 the right to have a championship game in a 10-team league, Boren told the student newspaper that he still was in favor of the league playing a conference championship game only after it expanded to 12 teams and began looking into starting its own conference network.

Boren is expected to press the issue of expansion and a league-wide TV network when the the Big 12 presidents and athletic directors meet this week in Dallas.

"What I hope we'll do is do a lot of talking about it and hope that we get some kind of a timetable laid out in front of us, during which time we'll act," Boren told reporters last week. "If not, it'll be 10 years from now that we decide whether or not we're going to do this. Let's hope this is going to be in the next few months to a year or whatever."

If, in fact, the Big 12 does expand, UCF should undoubtedly be the No. 1 candidate. If the national media would do their homework, they would know UCF is the second-largest public university in the nation and is cranking out thousands and thousands of graduates every year. Those graduates are inundating the State of Florida, which means a potential Big 12 Network could gain access to millions of cable TV viewers throughout our thriving state.

This idea that the Big 12 should add Houston or SMU over UCF is just plain uninformed. If the Big 12 started its own network, it already has the entire State of Texas television market (see Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech) locked up. As for the other potential prime candidates for Big 12 expansion such as Memphis and Cincinnati, here’s all you need to know: UCF’s television market is growing while the markets in Memphis and Cincy are shrinking.

As I’ve pointed out numerous times, the Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference in the southern part of the United States that doesn't have a footprint in Florida — the third-most populous state and one of the richest recruiting hotbeds in the country. My concept is quite simple: If the Big 12 is going to expand, it should add UCF and USF and a combined Orlando-Tampa TV market that is the fourth-largest in the nation.

If the national media would actually do their homework, they would know UCF is the Big 12’s most viable and attractive option.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

17 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Pimping or just reporting speculation? That article talking about educating the national media on UCF? That's pimping for sure. Jeff Odom needs to graduate, so he can take the USF beat over from Joey K.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

My concept is quite simple: If the Big 12 is going to expand, it should add UCF and USF and a combined Orlando-Tampa TV market that is the fourth-largest in the nation.

Just before last year, they said they didn't need us.  My, how the tables have turned.

home-alone-2-harry-marv.jpg

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

11 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Just before last year, they said they didn't need us.  My, how the tables have turned.

home-alone-2-harry-marv.jpg

Only in the minds of the mindless on the interwebs.  If we were really off the table after a couple of off years, UCF should be off the table after going winless.  These decisions are not made based on the team record that year or over two years.  We were never off the radar of the Big 12, nor are we suddenly way ahead of UCF based on last year's record.  It's a dogfight and we are among the five or six schools that have a realistic shot to get into the P5.  Just like we were three years ago and just like we will be in three years if there is no movement in that time.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Not sure if this was posted before but looks like Cinci is going after the Big 12 hard. They obviously have something to hide.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/02/03/what-uc-hiding-big-12-conference/79713442/

The University of Cincinnati is refusing to release emails, travel records and other public documents regarding the possibility of it gaining membership in the Big 12 Conference, which may consider expansion later this week.

The Enquirer asked for the documents, including UC President Santa Ono's travel records, in a Nov. 17 public records request. Two UC attorneys recently completed their review of the documents, usually a final step before public records are released.

But in an unusual move, UC's general counsel instead gave the documents to the Board of Trustees last week, said Kenya Faulkner, the university's top attorney.

"They asked to see them, and I had to turn them over," said Faulkner, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel. "They've never asked me to do that before."

It's possible UC officials are trying to be careful not to risk messing up a potential opportunity to move into a major conference, which could generate millions of dollars for the university, raise UC's national profile and move it to the right side of a growing divide between the haves and have-nots in college sports.

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, ToroDeFuego said:

Not sure if this was posted before but looks like Cinci is going after the Big 12 hard. They obviously have something to hide.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/02/03/what-uc-hiding-big-12-conference/79713442/

If I were an admin, I'd want to dot every "i" and cross every "t" too. The landscape isn't very forgiving right now.

• Upvote 1