Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

I understand that but he's saying that it looks likely that it WILL pass so how can he say that's forcing the B12 to expand ...

[Where did function go to put something in a Quote??]The issue is the B12 wants to have their CCG between the 2 highest rated teams to ensure the winner has the best chance to advance.  Imagine if a 7-5 team from the West division beats a 12-0 team from the East division... Nobody goes to the Playoffs.  The other Conferences with division CCG's could be at a disadvantage in their current format.  

Understand that, too, but there's nothing on the table right now about that, correct? ..... And that has nothing to do with expanding either.

B12 has two hurdles to clear, they have to try to defeat the B1G amendment and then they have to push through the proposal for deregulation. It will be very difficult for the B12 to clear both hurdles. Most likely the B12 will have to expand to get that CCG....

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

On 1/4/2016 at 11:25 PM, jasonb56 said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2015/12/28/longhorn-network-espns-big-money-loser.html

48 Million dollar lose for ESPN... This will one day push Texas and the Big 12 to do something in time. How many years will Texas and ESPN keep this network alive???

The money factor is going to be the underlying, guiding factor in which teams get added.  As great as Houston played on the field this year, That market does not add any new sets that they don't already have.  Cincinnati maybe.  Having lived in CT most of my life, except for the time iI lived in FL, I can say that I don't see UCONN football as such a big deal.  It is mostly about pro football here.  Either Jets-Giants in Southern CT or the Patriots everywhere else.  Basketball and especially UCONN ladies basketball is a big deal actually.I am not sure that will do much for the bottom line of the Longhorn Network.

There are potentially about 3 million households to be added in viewership in the combined Tampa and Orlando Media market vs about 900,000 in southwest Ohio.  Those numbers have to be eye popping to a network with a big investment at stake.

From the money point of view, the I-4 corridor makes the most sense plus there are the other factors which have been beaten to death in this thread.  Just depends where the pressures are coming from and the vision of the conference members making the decisions.

Edited by usfgrad84
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

And hopefully the B12 is taking a long term view on the decision.  Florida is now the 3rd most populous state in the country.  USF and UCF combined have over 100,000 students.  That's where the money will be coming from 10 years from now.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,971
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, Bulls1181 said:

B12 has two hurdles to clear, they have to try to defeat the B1G amendment and then they have to push through the proposal for deregulation. It will be very difficult for the B12 to clear both hurdles. Most likely the B12 will have to expand to get that CCG....

But that proposal isn't on the table yet so can they propose it and have vote all in this session coming up?

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

But that proposal isn't on the table yet so can they propose it and have vote all in this session coming up?

The deregulation proposal is the proposal for a CCG with 10 teams

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

And hopefully the B12 is taking a long term view on the decision.  Florida is now the 3rd most populous state in the country.  USF and UCF combined have over 100,000 students.  That's where the money will be coming from 10 years from now.  

if the UCONN rumors are true I give up on college sports

Big12 is supposed to be a Football First Conference and they want to add UCONN? Have they seen their games, it's a depressing MAC like atmosphere.

USF & UCF go back and forth on childish attendance jabs but I can guarantee both schools would average near 50K fans instantly when the Home schedule turns to Texas/OU, WVU, USF/UCF, Baylor, etc every other season. At UCONN? They care about college basketball some but are mostly obsessed with Pro Sports and Baseball

12 minutes ago, ambienknights said:

if the UCONN rumors are true I give up on college sports

Big12 is supposed to be a Football First Conference and they want to add UCONN? Have they seen their games, it's a depressing MAC like atmosphere.

USF & UCF go back and forth on childish attendance jabs but I can guarantee both schools would average near 50K fans instantly when the Home schedule turns to Texas/OU, WVU, USF/UCF, Baylor, etc every other season. At UCONN? They care about college basketball some but are mostly obsessed with Pro Sports and Baseball

Exactly.  The existing B12 teams would draw tremendous crowds in Florida.  No cowboy boots and Skoal in Connecticut.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,971
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

26 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

The deregulation proposal is the proposal for a CCG with 10 teams

But wasn't the division winners amendment added to that proposal? Didn't think there were two separate things to be voted on but if there are, that's what I'm missing ...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I agree with Trip.

The B12 wants to add the additional rule to allow a non divisional CCG. The AAC is with them as they want to do a similar setup.

The B1G added the proposal that the rule HAS to include a divisional format because it is not fair to the other conferences that already set and play with divisions. The SEC is with the B1G on this. However with this mandatory division rule added, they are OK (from what I read and understand) with allowing the B12 to have a CCG with 10 teams. So no expansion is necessary.

No link available of what I read since I'm on my phone.

18 minutes ago, Dogma said:

I agree with Trip.

The B12 wants to add the additional rule to allow a non divisional CCG. The AAC is with them as they want to do a similar setup.

The B1G added the proposal that the rule HAS to include a divisional format because it is not fair to the other conferences that already set and play with divisions. The SEC is with the B1G on this. However with this mandatory division rule added, they are OK (from what I read and understand) with allowing the B12 to have a CCG with 10 teams. So no expansion is necessary.

No link available of what I read since I'm on my phone.

The first thing that has to be voted on and over turned is the rule requiring a league to have 12 teams for a CCG