Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

1 minute ago, mark_my_words said:

Right, I am suggesting the highest ranked G5 champs gets an invite to the playoffs.   All the P5 champs get in and 2 at large. 

That is what the at large bids would be for.

So if the highest ranked G5 conference champion is ranked #31, you think they deserve to make the playoff over the team ranked  #8 who misses the playoff?  I just don't ever see that happening, but it would be great if it did.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

Just now, Sellular1 said:

So if the highest ranked G5 conference champion is ranked #31, you think they deserve to make the playoff over the team ranked  #8 who misses the playoff?  I just don't ever see that happening, but it would be great if it did.

Yeah, there would be a lot of pissing and moaning if/when that occurred.  Good point.  

I guess, all you can say to #8 is you should have won your conference.  I mean, in my scenario, at least the P5 teams control their own destiny.  The G5 still has to win a beauty contest against the other G5 champs.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I would also add that there is nothing we can do as fans. I am too old to worry about this BS. I am just going to enjoy USF football as long as I can. Excited about next year and hope beyond hope we play in the Orange Bowl (or whatever New Years Day game) next year. 

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,376
  • Days Won:  4

Pitt definitely won't want to play in Annapolis again.

I love watching Navy play well.

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,278
  • Days Won:  1

Isn't the reason why the best G5 champion is included in the New Years 6 is to give access for the G5. If they expand to 8 and drop that couldn't that cause problems where the G5 could claim they will not be given a chance at the playoff since it's extremely unlikely a G5 team gets an at large bid since there will be major bias toward the P5. Keeping the top ranked G5 champion solves that dilemma. Otherwise couldn't the G5 schools sue or would that not be allowed

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

55 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It is one less conference game. The big 12 teams will have to schedule an extra out of conference game against a legitimate team. I don't see how they are gaining an advantage. If they schedule week, they will not make the playoffs. It is pretty simple.

Less teams, therefore weaker schedule not an advantage?  Yeah right.

10 minutes ago, DataBull said:

Less teams, therefore weaker schedule not an advantage?  Yeah right.

Yes, that is right. The argument you are making is not the issue in the eyes of the Big10 commissioner. He just wants two divisional winners regardless of the number of teams. Strategically, Why does adding two marginal G5 teams to your conference make it better? Big12 is better off keeping it at 10 and having each team add one significant P5 team and then play a championship game. You watch, this is what will happen. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes, that is right. The argument you are making is not the issue in the eyes of the Big10 commissioner. He just wants two divisional winners regardless of the number of teams. Strategically, Why does adding two marginal G5 teams to your conference make it better? Big12 is better off keeping it at 10 and having each team add one significant P5 team and then play a championship game. You watch, this is what will happen. 

First of all, he never wanted two division winners until he realized that wasn't going to fly.  He wanted two highest ranked teams, and the other P5 conferences told him to go fly a kite.  

Second, if you don't understand that more schools means more competition, I'm not really sure how to help you out.

Bottom line is that the Big 12 is trying to keep their conference small so they can have more money per school while getting all the advantages of the other conferences that have already expanded and split their money more ways.  I ask you again, if you are the SEC with 14 schools, why do you want to give the Big 12 the same advantages and only share their money/competition among 10 schools?  That would be stupid.  The other conferences agreed to the playoff system assuming that the Big 12 would need to expand, and they will ensure that happens.

It would be incredibly dumb of the other conferences to let the B12 live with advantages over the other P5 conferences.  And the school presidents aren't dumb.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

51 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

Isn't the reason why the best G5 champion is included in the New Years 6 is to give access for the G5. If they expand to 8 and drop that couldn't that cause problems where the G5 could claim they will not be given a chance at the playoff since it's extremely unlikely a G5 team gets an at large bid since there will be major bias toward the P5. Keeping the top ranked G5 champion solves that dilemma. Otherwise couldn't the G5 schools sue or would that not be allowed

Making the New Years 6 has nothing to do with being one of the 4 playoff teams.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DataBull said:

First of all, he never wanted two division winners until he realized that wasn't going to fly.  He wanted two highest ranked teams, and the other P5 conferences told him to go fly a kite.  

Second, if you don't understand that more schools means more competition, I'm not really sure how to help you out.

Bottom line is that the Big 12 is trying to keep their conference small so they can have more money per school while getting all the advantages of the other conferences that have already expanded and split their money more ways.  I ask you again, if you are the SEC with 14 schools, why do you want to give the Big 12 the same advantages and only share their money/competition among 10 schools?  That would be stupid.  The other conferences agreed to the playoff system assuming that the Big 12 would need to expand, and they will ensure that happens.

It would be incredibly dumb of the other conferences to let the B12 live with advantages over the other P5 conferences.  And the school presidents aren't dumb.

The Big10 commissioner is the one who has always said that you need two divisions with a champion from each to play a championship game.  This was in response to the AAC  commissioner who wanted to have the two highest ranked teams play each other regardless of division. You can look that up.

The Big12 could increase the size of their conference WITHOUT decreasing revenue (according to their tv contract). However, they would not make any extra cash by staging a championship game  because the networks did not take money away from them when they ceased their championship game.

In terms of more schools equaling more competition, this HAS NOT been brought up as an issue by any of the P5 conferences. Again, the vote in Jan will be to determine if 10 schools can have a championship game. If the answer is yes, then the Big12 will play with 10 teams. If the answer is no, they will have to add teams to the conference.