Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

if this comes to pass then look for G5 schools to refuse to play Pussy5 schools in basketball and the NCAA Tourny to turn into a joke. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

Right, but I am talking about expanding it beyond 4.  The P5 champs +1 from the G5 or something. Throw in 2 at large bids and everyone is happy.

Then the P5 will only care about winning their league and getting into the playoffs - as it should be.

I respect the notion, but I don't see any existing incentive or reason why the P5 would include us in their playoff automatically.  

I think if anything, the last few years have made it clear that G5 schools are of decreasing importance the more we move forward.  

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You are correct and that is why the Big12 will get two divisions with 5 teams and there will be NO expansion. The only way it occurs is if Texas and Oklahoma decide to leave and a landslide takes place. 

So if you are the SEC, B10, PAC12 or ACC, why would you want the Big 12 to only have 10 teams and have an easier path to a NC?  Why should the four other conferences bend to the will of Texas?  That would be pretty stupid.  The Big 12 has known the rules for a couple of years and they have been trying to find a loophole.  The remainder of the P5 has no reason to make things more difficult on themselves by making it easier for the Big 12.  But it is typical of Texas to want the world to revolve around Texas.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

if this comes to pass then look for G5 schools to refuse to play Pussy5 schools in basketball and the NCAA Tourny to turn into a joke.

This is what I am hoping for, and probably the only real serious threat that the "G5" have

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This might actually be the one bargaining chip we have, but then there are a couple of questions:

• there is probably only a few P5 schools that have truly big-time hoops teams as well - is it enough to work?
  • Does men's hoop generate enough $ for the mover-and-shaker programs for them to think twice about what they want to do with football?

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

4 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

Right, but I am talking about expanding it beyond 4.  The P5 champs +1 from the G5 or something. Throw in 2 at large bids and everyone is happy.

Then the P5 will only care about winning their league and getting into the playoffs - as it should be.

I would love to see anything that gives the G5 a guarenteed spot in the playoffs but I don't think it will ever happen because so rarely is a G5 team considered one of the top ranked teams in the country and "playoff worthy".  The P5 conferences get 2 votes vs the G5 1 vote on any new changes.  Those with the money want to ensure they keep it.  

Also, the part about winning the conf championship only effects the G5 rep to the NEw Years 6 games.  The 4 teams that currently make the playoffs don't have to win the CCG.  I think this makes sense because you could have a scenario where a 6-6 team from the ACC Coastal defeats a 12-0 team from the ACC Atlantic.  The playoff committee would be doing a disservice to the game by saying they are one of the best 4 teams in the country. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I respect the notion, but I don't see any existing incentive or reason why the P5 would include us in their playoff automatically.  

I think if anything, the last few years have made it clear that G5 schools are of decreasing importance the more we move forward.  

Oh, I agree but I think they may be somewhat compelled to.  I mean is there no legal recourse?  Can we not band together and force some concessions?  

They can get away with screwing the G5 as long as they throw us a pittance - which is what that would be IMO.  

8 minutes ago, DataBull said:

So if you are the SEC, B10, PAC12 or ACC, why would you want the Big 12 to only have 10 teams and have an easier path to a NC?  Why should the four other conferences bend to the will of Texas?  That would be pretty stupid.  The Big 12 has known the rules for a couple of years and they have been trying to find a loophole.  The remainder of the P5 has no reason to make things more difficult on themselves by making it easier for the Big 12.  But it is typical of Texas to want the world to revolve around Texas.

It is one less conference game. The big 12 teams will have to schedule an extra out of conference game against a legitimate team. I don't see how they are gaining an advantage. If they schedule week, they will not make the playoffs. It is pretty simple.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

10 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Also, the part about winning the conf championship only effects the G5 rep to the NEw Years 6 games.  The 4 teams that currently make the playoffs don't have to win the CCG.  I think this makes sense because you could have a scenario where a 6-6 team from the ACC Coastal defeats a 12-0 team from the ACC Atlantic.  The playoff committee would be doing a disservice to the game by saying they are one of the best 4 teams in the country. 

Right, I am suggesting the highest ranked G5 champs gets an invite to the playoffs.   All the P5 champs get in and 2 at large. 8 teams total. 

That is what the at large bids would be for.

Edited by mark_my_words

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It is one less conference game. The big 12 teams will have to schedule an extra out of conference game against a legitimate team. I don't see how they are gaining an advantage. If they schedule week, they will not make the playoffs. It is pretty simple. If you are a USF fan you better hope for this scenero as there is no way in hell USF gets an invitation to the Big12 right now.