Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

The DG rant doesn't deny any potential movement. He basically just says that the GTech stuff is just re-hashing old news, that the Big10 presidents have "pre-approved" certain schools as acceptable (UVA, UNC, GTech) to their commissioner but that no acceptances, nor offers, have been made. Well, we know the Big10 wouldn't OFFER a spot given the legal pitfalls of tampering with the ACC. But is that really much different than saying "we'll take X, Y, or Z if they're interested" ??? Just need to wait for GTech (or other) to show interest. . . and initiate the secret meetings DG says Maryland underwent. If they're secret, how do we know they haven't already happened for these other schools?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

The DG rant doesn't deny any potential movement. He basically just says that the GTech stuff is just re-hashing old news, that the Big10 presidents have "pre-approved" certain schools as acceptable (UVA, UNC, GTech) to their commissioner but that no acceptances, nor offers, have been made. Well, we know the Big10 wouldn't OFFER a spot given the legal pitfalls of tampering with the ACC. But is that really much different than saying "we'll take X, Y, or Z if they're interested" ??? Just need to wait for GTech (or other) to show interest. . . and initiate the secret meetings DG says Maryland underwent. If they're secret, how do we know they haven't already happened for these other schools?

Thanks Doc.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

B1G gets Rutgers, UNC, UVA and GT. 16 teams

SEC gets NCST and VT. 16 Teams

B12 gets FSU, BSU, SMU, UH, BYU and Clemson. 16 teams.

ACC/BE merge with BC, UConn, Duke, UM, WF, USF, Cincy, Pitt, Syr, UL, Temple,Memphis, Tulane, UCF, ECU and Navy(or maybe ND gets in on the action) 16 teams.

P12 gets SDSU and Utah, Nevada, or other. 16 teams.

Basketball only forms a league. All done. Makes geographic sense. Most of the moves are already underway. The only reason they keep dragging this out is to frighten some recalcitrant parties into going along with it.This way they can have an 8 team playoff rather simply. You seed 5 conf champs and next best 3. You could even maintain Bowl rivalries to a degree. Each league will have 2 game playoff(max TV dollars) and then 3 game National championship(mega TV dollars). Because of SOS and the subsequent National rankings, the more powerful conferences each year will have 2 or 3 teams in the NC. No exit fees. Renegotiated TV deals for everyone.

If this gets us a seat at the table I can live with it.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

I can guarantee Houston and SMU will not be in Big 12, so switch out 2 ACC/BE teams. Also with your senario B1G has 17 with Maryland so drop another ACC school. The kicker in the room is Fox having PAC 12 and they might really want a Eastern pod of 4.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,803
  • Days Won:  8

ACC/BE merge with BC, UConn, Duke, UM, WF, USF, Cincy, Pitt, Syr, UL, Temple,Memphis, Tulane, UCF, ECU and Navy(or maybe ND gets in on the action) 16 teams.

Not going to happen. PAC and big 12 won't take all the teams you've put tere just to get to 16. They'll only move to 16 if try think it adds value, and I'm pretty certain it won't happen like you have it. Only teams I can see pack adding is Texas, Oklahoma, Boise and BYU, and withy grant of rights, the longhorn network, BYU religious association I think the PAC 12 will be staying at 12 for a while. I could see maybe SMU and HOuston.

Also, already having 4 Texas teams, no way big 12 adds Houston or SMU.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027

I don't see the Pac12 expanding given their available choices unless Texas/Oklahoma are in the mix (which is unlikely for several years with GoR). I see it as plausible that we'll have PAC(12) in the west, SEC(16) in the southeast, B10(16) in the midwest, BE/ACC (10-14) in the east, and the B12 (12-14) with a hodgepodge of some popular cherry-picked schools stuck in the middle. Without the competition and no one to poach from it, the BE/ACC would be reasonably stable (and yes, could even have some or all of the BBall schools and maybe some FBall-only schools like Navy). In this scenario, an independent ND would require that any FBall playoff system would have to allow for an outsider to crash the party and so it wouldn't be closed-out like the automatic 4x16 some predict. This could survive until the next shake-up, when the B12's GoR runs out and the Texas/Oklahoma schools look westward, or ND surrenders its independence.

The BE/ACC would currently be the least-desirable from the competition & marketing perspectives, but would still have name-brands, dominant basketball, and the opportunity to raise their stock for the next round of realignment. Remember, not too long ago an undefeated SEC school was left out of the national championship game -- this stuff goes in cycles.

I'd be happy with this: NORTH (BC/UConn/Pitt/Cuse/Temple), SOUTH (USF/Duke/WF/UL/UC). Can throw in Navy and another for FBall-only to get to 12. For BBall: Pod A(Marq/DeP/ND/UL/UC/USF), Pod B (WF/Duke/GTown/SJU/Pitt/Cuse), Pod C(BC/PC/UConn/SHU/Nova/Temp). An alternative would be (if this happens AFTER July when all those other teams join the BE, thus this wouldn't be a "merger" but rather "invitations" to the ACC) to bring in only a few of the BBall schools, like GTown/SJU/Nova (ND already in) rather than going to an unwieldy 16 in football with the likes of UCF, Houston, or Tulane.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

And just like that we may have a new #16 - @TheDeaconReport

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Cuse?

• Content Count:  9,803
  • Days Won:  8

Could you be more specific?

• Content Count:  7,693

Basketball only forms a league. All done. Makes geographic sense. Most of the moves are already underway. The only reason they keep dragging this out is to frighten some recalcitrant parties into going along with it.This way they can have an 8 team playoff rather simply. You seed 5 conf champs and next best 3. You could even maintain Bowl rivalries to a degree. Each league will have 2 game playoff(max TV dollars) and then 3 game National championship(mega TV dollars). Because of SOS and the subsequent National rankings, the more powerful conferences each year will have 2 or 3 teams in the NC. No exit fees. Renegotiated TV deals for everyone.

If this gets us a seat at the table I can live with it.

I could live with this as well...

Although I highly doubt that the Big12 will take SMU or Houston... only way that would happen is if the Texas Legislature twists UT's arm behind its back.

I think you nailed it with the SEC though... they are trying to get the footprint of the Confederacy, have been trying for a long time to do it, and now it looks like they might be able to pull it off. The old SEC commish before the current one let that plan slip when the SEC last renegotiated their TV contracts.

Edited by Bubba Bull