Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,654
  • Days Won:  51

5 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

This is how I would prefer it actually.  We need to aspire to be the Boise St of the east and win games and pack the stadium.  

If the Big 12 invites us now (or anyone) I think it shoots off the starting gun of the departure of Texas and whomever they want to take with them.

Let's be patient and dominate this league for a while.  Our winning culture took a hit for a few years and we need to reestablish it. 

Who do you think is possibly going to play us other than the G5 teams in our crappy conference.  Those days of Boise State getting big name schools to accept their offer to play anybody anywhere are long gone.  The AAC is no better than the MAC or CUSA.

Edited by Sellular1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Sellular1 said:

Who do you think is possibly going to play us other than the G5 teams in our crappy conference.  Those days of Boise State getting big name schools to accept their offeri to play anybody anywhere are long gone.  The AAC is no better than the MAC or CUSA.

Well, I am suggesting we become the tallest little person.  Boise got to feast off pretty sub par opponents from their conference year after year.  

I am suggesting we do that for a while.  The reason nobody wanted Boise after their years of success is that they were in the middle of nowhere in a really remote, small market.

We have their kind of success on the field against our conference mates we would be more attractive given our market.

Also, it is fun watching our team win, even if the opponent is Tulane.

1 minute ago, mark_my_words said:

Well, I am suggesting we become the tallest little person.  Boise got to feast off pretty sub par opponents from their conference year after year.  

I am suggesting we do that for a while.  The reason nobody wanted Boise after their years of success is that they were in the middle of nowhere in a really remote, small market.

We have their kind of success on the field against our conference mates we would be more attractive given our market.

Also, it is fun watching our team win, even if the opponent is Tulane.

I totally get what you are saying, and agree with winning the games we have on our plate.  I just wish the separation between the teams at the adult table vs kid table wasn't so huge.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

This is how I would prefer it actually.  We need to aspire to be the Boise St of the east and win games and pack the stadium.  

If the Big 12 invites us now (or anyone) I think it shoots off the starting gun of the departure of Texas and whomever they want to take with them.

Let's be patient and dominate this league for a while.  Our winning culture took a hit for a few years and we need to reestablish it. 

+1000

26 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Who do you think is possibly going to play us other than the G5 teams in our crappy conference.  Those days of Boise State getting big name schools to accept their offer to play anybody anywhere are long gone.  The AAC is no better than the MAC or CUSA.

This is the future.  It starts with P5 schools only agreeing to play G5's as home games.  In a few years the "major" P5's won't schedule any G5's so as not to damage their SoS.  

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/23/9603818/a-challenge-to-g5-athletic-directors-boycott-the-pitt-panthers

35 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

This is the future.  It starts with P5 schools only agreeing to play G5's as home games.  In a few years the "major" P5's won't schedule any G5's so as not to damage their SoS.  

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/23/9603818/a-challenge-to-g5-athletic-directors-boycott-the-pitt-panthers

From the article: " Barnes acknowledged that scheduling plays a huge role in today's Playoff format  "

OK sellular, we have debated in the past to expand the play off system.  I do not agree with Pitt and the other AD's from these schools but as long as it is only open to 4 teams you are going to see this.

Imagine if you will the format changes and the league champs get into the playoffs.  Do you think they will care about playing teams outside of the the P5?  Nope, they might even schedule a few "cup cakes" to soften up their schedules and we will be back to where we are today.

10 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

From the article: " Barnes acknowledged that scheduling plays a huge role in today's Playoff format  "

OK sellular, we have debated in the past to expand the play off system.  I do not agree with Pitt and the other AD's from these schools but as long as it is only open to 4 teams you are going to see this.

Imagine if you will the format changes and the league champs get into the playoffs.  Do you think they will care about playing teams outside of the the P5?  Nope, they might even schedule a few "cup cakes" to soften up their schedules and we will be back to where we are today.

If there are only 4 spots for the 5 power conferences, somebody will be left out in your scenario.  Scheduling cupcakes would ensure you are the team left out of the playoffs because the committee still decides which 4 teams go.

12 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

If there are only 4 spots for the 5 power conferences, somebody will be left out in your scenario.  Scheduling cupcakes would ensure you are the team left out of the playoffs because the committee still decides which 4 teams go.

Right, but I am talking about expanding it beyond 4.  The P5 champs +1 from the G5 or something. Throw in 2 at large bids and everyone is happy.

Then the P5 will only care about winning their league and getting into the playoffs - as it should be.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

And how soon as that happens the G5 schools will  retaliate by not scheduling any P5 schools for basketball. Further law suites 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

i just don't get why conforming to what the committee says is the right way to go. They make up their own set of rules and standards every year. When making these schedules you never know who is going to be a solid team or have a down year. If they stop playing FCS teams for tune ups and then also stop playing G5 teams then who are they going to play? It amazes me that scheduling a lower tier P5 program has more weight than a solid G5 team. These terms are also made up words from the committee! I say sure, schedule Pitt or whomever as an away game, and make it a point to embarrass them at their home stadium. Then when they call back and ask for a revenge game tell them "it's not in our program's best interest to schedule you at this time." 

If realignment happens for us great, but if it doesn't then make the best out of the current situation. The only thing to focus on is creating a solid program that competes for conference championships year in and year out. Play anyone, anywhere.