Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think Oklahoma gets in as number four this year. Regardless, there is no way that we want expansion at least for another four years.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

Even if expansion happens in 4 years, the "decisions" will be made years in advance because it takes time to implement.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

If Notre Dame gets in then at least 2 two P5 conferences will be left out - likely the PAC 12 and the Big 10.

Notre Dame would be good for us I think. Will either push B12 to expand or playoffs going to 8. Playoffs going to 8 would be huge for us if we are stuck in AAC long. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

God's Team sneaking in could mean that 2 P5's are left out .... this is going to be fun to watch.

I agree ND would get in if they win next week at Stanford.   Question I have is does ND share Bowl revenue with the ACC since they are partially in the conference?   

Also would they keep UNC out of the payoffs if they win the ACC championship game over Clemson or will that win be enough to climb 6/7 spots?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

AAC has shown this year they belong in the consideration for a playoff spot once they expand the playoffs.  Great year for the conference for sure.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

Notre Dame has no business being in that playoff imo--- they are decent but have played a very weak schedule this year.

How do you put value on a quality LOSS to Clemson? it is really silly.

The entire way they set up this playoff is dumb to begin with-- you create the Power 5 but have 4 slots? someone's champ (possibly more) gets screwed out of a shot no matter what.

Eventually-- they will need to expand it to 6 or 8 teams and that should end all the controversy FINALLY

Notre Dame has no business being in that playoff imo--- they are decent but have played a very weak schedule this year.

How do you put value on a quality LOSS to Clemson? it is really silly.

The entire way they set up this playoff is dumb to begin with-- you create the Power 5 but have 4 slots? someone's champ (possibly more) gets screwed out of a shot no matter what.

Eventually-- they will need to expand it to 6 or 8 teams and that should end all the controversy FINALLY

Texas (normally they are good), GA Tech was ranked #14 when they played, 2 point loss to #1 ranked team in country, Additional wins over ranked teams #16 Navy, #22 USC, and #19 Temple, and a season finale against #11 Stanford.  I'd argue they have a really tough schedule.

Edited by Sellular1
  • Upvote 4

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

Texas (normally they are good), GA Tech was ranked #14 when they played, 2 point loss to #1 ranked team in country, Additional wins over ranked teams #16 Navy, #22 USC, and #19 Temple, and a season finale against #11 Stanford.  I'd argue they have a really tough schedule.

Looking at the strength of schedule rankings for 2015, the Irish are a respectable 14th. So I stand corrected on that.

Wish I had checked that first before going through the entire schedule and picking it apart (spoilered below for your amusement-- please don't bother quote/commenting on it) because I will stand by my statement that they simply are not one of the top 4 teams. It has nothing to do with some hate for the Irish-- I like to watch them occasionally. I just think other teams are more deserving and better qualified to have a shot at the title. If it were a 8 team playoff-- yeah-- put them in there and see if they can squeak by a few teams.

Break down your own statement:

Texas (normally good) record 4-6 -- other than a fluke upset of OU-- they have been terrible this season - though they did beat Rice, Kansas and Kansas State (they own Kansas!) what a juggernaut  - this is not 2005 -- Texas has been bad for several years now

Ga Tech (was ranked- paper Tigers) record 3-8 -- early season rankings are garbage-- other than beating FSU somehow-- they have lost to everyone but Tulane (big woop) and Alcorn State (FCS) enormous wooop

Clemson -- record 11-0   -- A LOSS-- 2 points-- who cares-- it is a loss in my book - it is a otugh game on their schedule-- the toughest -- so I will give you credit towards the tough schedule part but I will not give them credit for a quality LOSS-- that is BS.

Navy - record 9-1 probably their best win in my eyes

USC record 7-4 (24th ranked not 22nd according to ESPN) - good win

Temple record 9-2 (currently NOT ranked according to ESPN)- you seem hung up on what a team was ranked when they were played as if that makes it matter more. ND won 24-20 (USF beat Temple 2 games later by 21 points) Temple is decent but not world beaters. A good win, nothing earth shattering.

playing against Stanford - this matters if they win the game and if the football gods have a heart, ND will lose and stop being in the conversation entirely.

Rest of their schedule-- lots of bums. They simply don't pass the eye test with me.

Now the BUMS you didn't list----

Virginia 4-7 BUMS

UMass  2-9 MAC team (FCS) BUMS!

Pitt 8-3 ACC - probably a better team than Ga Tech-- who you should have not pointed out at all    NOT BUMS

Wake 3-8 ACC BUMS!

and last and certainly most profoundly telling of the story

Boston College 3-8 ACC -- a team the Irish "manhandled" by a whopping 19-16 this weekend. Wow-- what a signature win! C'Mon-- they belong in that playoff as much as the Gators who need OT to beat lowly FAU-- it is right there in front of you to see. ND barely beat another BUM! How do you equate that with other teams? I can't

Now I say this not because I hate the Irish--- far from it-- but let's be fair here. This team is too elite to be confined by a conference -- they take the independent route and schedule teams like FCS UMass? Fine-- many teams do. But almost all of them have to play a full conference schedule. I just don't see how the Irish deserve to be in the conversation other than - well hey-- they are the Irish. Are they top then-- sure. Top 4 though? sorry-- no. just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong and they run the table and blow out (have they blown anyone out other than Texas? oh that's right UMass) Bama for the championship. Boy won't I  look silly then. .

Looking at the strength of schedule rankings for 2015, the Irish are a respectable 14th. So I stand corrected on that.

Wish I had checked that first before going through the entire schedule and picking it apart (spoilered below for your amusement-- please don't bother quote/commenting on it) because I will stand by my statement that they simply are not one of the top 4 teams. It has nothing to do with some hate for the Irish-- I like to watch them occasionally. I just think other teams are more deserving and better qualified to have a shot at the title. If it were a 8 team playoff-- yeah-- put them in there and see if they can squeak by a few teams.

Hidden Content

appreciate your long and well researched post.  My only comment was that they do in fact have a tough schedule which you said they didn't initially.  Plus if they beat Stanford that would be another quality win.  To be clear from my perspective, ND sucks and are always over rated.  I would put OU in the playoff before ND

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Let's bump this up for another 100 pages...

Rumors of Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big10...?

Previous news:

http://stormininnorman.com/2015/07/28/oklahoma-sooners-in-the-big-ten-closer-to-reality-than-you-may-have-thought/

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-during-realignment-four-others-from-big-took-a-look/article_2d507fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html

Would completely collapse that conference.  IMO, Texas would not stay in what would remain and would join the PAC12.

Would the rest join up with the AAC / ACC (W. Virginia)?

Edited by Dogma