Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Read that sometime in the next few years, Houston is poised to take over Chicago as the U.S.'s third largest city.  

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

I've had this worry that ESPN is doing it best to make sure UCF/USF isn't part of the Big 12 expansion talks.  They've more or less put a vast majority of their eggs in the ACC/SEC basket.  They're likely to lose the BIG10 to Fox completely when negotiations come up, so they want to keep the southeast US on lockdown for them.  If the Big 12 expands in Florida and gives Fox Sports more exposure into the southeast, and possibly hurts some of their brands with giving UCF/USF big money (likely hurting Miami the `most), then its not good for their business.  While the Big 12 could greatly benefit from mass exposure in a big state like Florida, ESPN doesn't benefit at all from that move.  

ESPN is the :FIREdevil:

Where have I heard something like this before????

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

Cincy has the best chance

Edited by Bear

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Where have I heard something like this before????

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the writing is essentially on the wall already.  ESPN has spent boatloads upon boatloads of money recently locking up several sports (and conferences), likely to the point of being overextended.  They're already feeling the pinch, with Disney making them make large operating budget cuts.  Im pretty sure this has already been discussed on here (probably pages upon pages ago), but Disney/ABC/ESPN is also the company most likely to feel the pinch as cable continues to cut back as they are the company most out of line on subscriber fees.  

Its going to be really difficult for them to outbid Fox on this, especially since Fox and the B1G already have a partnership with their network.  Nothings for certain, but odds are leaning heavy on Fox to get the B1G contract. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

It doesn't make a lot of sense for them.  Theres nothing bad about Houston, but the Big 12 already has a lot of exposure in the state of Texas.  The conference as a whole has by far the lowest exposure of any of the P5, only playing conference games in 5 states with 4 of those being lower in population (Okl, Iowa, Kansas & WV).  For comparison, the B1G plays conference games in 11 states, the SEC 11 states, and the ACC 9 states (10 for basketball).  All those conferences get exposed to a lot more markets just on regional games.  If the Big12 is going to keep up with the other conferences next go around (no matter how TV contracts look then), they need to expand their footprint.

I agree that the Big 12 pretty much dominates Texas already. But how much extra value does Memphis provide? Outside of the fans of each school, who is tuning in to watch a Baylor vs. Memphis game? People - in Houston at least (and there's a lot of them) - would watch a Baylor vs. UH game, or a Tech vs. UH game. I think that type of instate game would also draw more eyeballs (again, massive state, lots of people) of non-fans than a game like Tech vs. Memphis. If we were talking about Michigan or USC or something, I'd totally buy this line of reasoning, but with the teams that are in the picture now, I think UH probably makes more sense for them than another middling regional team.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the writing is essentially on the wall already.  ESPN has spent boatloads upon boatloads of money recently locking up several sports (and conferences), likely to the point of being overextended.  They're already feeling the pinch, with Disney making them make large operating budget cuts.  Im pretty sure this has already been discussed on here (probably pages upon pages ago), but Disney/ABC/ESPN is also the company most likely to feel the pinch as cable continues to cut back as they are the company most out of line on subscriber fees.  

Its going to be really difficult for them to outbid Fox on this, especially since Fox and the B1G already have a partnership with their network.  Nothings for certain, but odds are leaning heavy on Fox to get the B1G contract. 

Back when the BE was going into a contract year.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

I still think USF/UCF brings a very unique opportunity for the Big 12.  Built in rivalry, TV markets, location.  There is not another pair that offer those tangible things.  Records will go up and down.  Markets, rivalries, and locations never truly change.  I think us and them both end up in good positions when the dust settles.   

Edited by ArmyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

How many here have celebrated the birth of a child since the start of this thread?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

I still think USF/UCF brings a very unique opportunity for the Big 12.  Built in rivalry, TV markets, location.  There is not another pair that offer those tangible things.  Records will go up and down.  Markets, rivalries, and locations never truly change.  I think we both end up in good positions when the dust settles.   

I hate to say it but more and more this is how I feel. It just feels natural to dislike UCF I would say even more than Rutgers. The I4 is not only a large market currently but both are growing and have a significant imprint on Florida. To whichever conference holds this area it will add great value. 

And you know what, if the American can actually build itself up as a brand and bring in comparable dollars to Big10, Big12 or ACC I would be just fine staying right here. I honestly do not want to travel to most of the Midwest. (not sure where this silly notion cropped up from..)

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

I hate to say it but more and more this is how I feel. It just feels natural to dislike UCF I would say even more than Rutgers. The I4 is not only a large market currently but both are growing and have a significant imprint on Florida. To whichever conference holds this area it will add great value. 
And you know what, if the American can actually build itself up as a brand and bring in comparable dollars to Big10, Big12 or ACC I would be just fine staying right here. I honestly do not want to travel to most of the Midwest. (not sure where this silly notion cropped up from..)

Not to mention it beats travelling to a game in Ames or some such place in the late fall.