Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Well its also not about fans in some cases, Look at Tampa (USF) and UF in SEC. If SEC sells a network (TV Channel) to a cable provider for Tier 2&3 games - UF/Vandy or UF/FAU then that is the channel it is shown on. Now Tampa cable provider has to pick up that channel to keep 20% (UF fans) of the population happy. As a USF fan (50% of Tampa) then you also have to pay for that channel. That is what the B1G and SEC is doing and how they are expanding. The Big games UF/Bama - Tier 1 - will be bid out to Network CBS for broadcast nationally.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Any deal the ACC has with the Orange Bowl would be renegotiated anyway if 11 of 14 ACC members are new.

Yep.

And at that point, I doubt the name ACC will exist either. If it truly comes to this, I imagine a new regional conference with a new name and new identity will be formed with the best pieces left.

Again, we will still be on the outside of the contract bowls looking in, but with perhaps a better contract.

I do not see USF ever being a member of the "ACC".

Why do you think that's the case, re: a potential name change? The ACC has pretty good name recognition and is actually almost all Atlantic Coast-ish in terms of geography. Unless they lose their minds and start adding West Coast teams like the BE did, I don't see why they'd want to drop their name.

The Big East with half the conference on the west coast is just stupid, but so long as it's east-ish teams that the ACC adds, I think the name makes sense and has history. No need to change it. I know tradition apparently doesn't mean anything in CFB anymore, but hopefully someone, somewhere has a sliver of nostalgia in them and decides not to torpedo every last element of traditional CFB.

My gut just tells me that if only a few teams; Duke, Wake and Boston College are left with the new additions of Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville (and I'm not convinced all of them will be there) - somewhere, there will be a push for a name change and new identity.

I agree, there is value in the ACC name, but the conspiracy theorist in me believes that the powers that be will do everything to strip the leftovers of any prestige and value they have left.

In my opinion, if there is a merger, it is better to start anew.

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903

This is a dated article, but it outlines a lot of the money, tiers, rights, etc.

http://espn.go.com/b.../post/_/id/705/

Edited by Economics_Nerd82

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

Here is another, more recent article describing the ACC's money woes and the likelihood Maryland will not pay the full $50 million departure fee.

If this article is true and correct, it is only a matter of time before the ACC is gutted.

Interesting quote: "I cannot confirm it but a usually reliable source has told me the Big 12 has offered to contribute $25 million each to FSU and Miami’s buyout whatever it may be."

http://www.eersautho...2-makes-a-push/

Edited by BaltoBull

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Tim_Matty247 â€@Tim_Matty247

Clarification - Not saying #GT report is done deal. Reported out of Midwest. Worth monitoring as we know the landscape is fluid & changing.

Tim_Matty247 â€@Tim_Matty247

@frankthetank111 @mgoplaybyplay Not confirmed or verified - so nothing saying its a done deal or giving any time table. But worth watching.

No legs to this just yet, but it is obvious that they are talking.

Thats the dude, he is as much about spewing as telling any truth. But its pretty known Big12 has $60 mil set aside for realignment money. And it was expected FSU was going to get ALOT of it, because if they go the conference goes.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,803

FSU and Miami would be great gets for the big 12.

Huge presence then in Texas and Florida with schools from those states making up half of the conference.

However this turns out USF will be stuck with either current CUSA or Current Big East teams. ACC will be the new basketball power, at least that will be a positive for USF if we get in.

I really hope USF ends up in a conference where all members are all sports members. Please no more bball vs football members.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,803

Here is another, more recent article describing the ACC's money woes and the likelihood Maryland will not pay the full $50 million departure fee.

If this article is true and correct, it is only a matter of time before the ACC is gutted.

Interesting quote: "I cannot confirm it but a usually reliable source has told me the Big 12 has offered to contribute $25 million each to FSU and Miami’s buyout whatever it may be."

http://www.eersautho...2-makes-a-push/

If the Big 12 adds FSU and Miami I don't think they'll have a need to add any more teams, maybe Clemson, but then who else I'm not sure. It will be hard for them to add members that make the pie bigger instead of just splitting it more ways.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

Thats the dude, he is as much about spewing as telling any truth. But its pretty known Big12 has $60 mil set aside for realignment money. And it was expected FSU was going to get ALOT of it, because if they go the conference goes.

I'll believe it when mhver3 says it's true :D

There is a guy on BGN Scout boards that is very good, EERLAW11. MHVer3 is not bad and I believe I know where alot of his thoughts/info stem from, but honestly the best in regards to Big12 is Etheridge from Baylor on 24/7 boards.

Edited by jvwvu