Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

North Carolina and Wake Forest announced an unprecedented scheduling agreement earlier on Monday. The two ACC schools announced they will play a pair of non-conference games in 2019 and 2021. It is the first such scheduling agreement between power conference schools within the same conference, and it has been received to mixed reviews.

PRO: It creates a game fans will look forward to

North Carolina and Wake Forest each have a duty to satisfy their alums, students and fans. By scheduling a game against an in-state rival they rarely get to see, North Carolina and Wake Forest are each giving their fans something to look forward to. In a world where conference expansion has taken away some annual or near-annual rivalry games, North Carolina and Wake Forest have found a way to resume playing more often instead of waiting for the ACC schedule to pair them up on a rotating basis.

CON: It sets a somewhat sketchy precedent for the sport

With power conferences creating a larger divide between the haves and have-nots in college football, power conferences scheduling games against opponents from inside their own conference ultimately takes away not one, but potentially two opportunities for schools from the Group of Five to schedule at least a marginally attractive game on their respective schedules.

PRO: It can have a positive effect on each school’s overall body of work

Not that anyone is honestly ready to suggest North Carolina or Wake Forest will be competing for a spot in the College Football Playoff in four to six years, but in a hypothetical world both schools have added a power conference opponent to the schedule. In theory, this should result in a positive effect on the strength of schedule for either UNC or Wake Forets (or both).

CON: It neutralizes the conference’s overall strength of schedule

Rather than going out and competing against the SEC, Pac-12 Big Ten or Big 12, what North Carolina and Wake Forest are doing is dropping an anchor on the ACC’s overall strength of schedule. The College Football Playoff selection committee, however it is formed by 2019 or 2021 rolls around, may be unlikely to acknowledge the ACC if ACC schools are scheduling non-conference games against each other. The committee will be more impressed with victories over other power conferences, because they will be able to evaluate the strength of each conference better with true out-of-conference match-ups on the schedule.

PRO: In-state rivalries are a good thing

It is always good to see in-state rivalries thrive when possible, and North Carolina and Wake Forest managed to ensure there will be one more to pay attention to in the state. Because of this, it may not be a shock to eventually see Duke and N.C. State explore a similar arrangement, which would add more to the whole concept of a state championship in the state of North Carolina.

CON: Sucks to be an East Carolina fan.

Did you write that? I thought the Pros and Cons listed were pretty good. Will be interesting to see if it's the start of a nationwide trend ...

No I did not write it. Came from NBC Sports

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/pros-and-cons-of-conference-foes-scheduling-non-conference-games/

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

So will Notre Dame get a P5 spot or the G5 spot now that it's been a ruled that they don't need to be in a conference to make the playoffs per the playoff committee.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

So will Notre Dame get a P5 spot or the G5 spot now that it's been a ruled that they don't need to be in a conference to make the playoffs per the playoff committee.

Not exactly sure what you mean ... There is no P5 or G5 "spot" in the playoffs that I know of. Am I missing something?

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

Not exactly sure what you mean ... There is no P5 or G5 "spot" in the playoffs that I know of. Am I missing something?

Playoffs are for the top 4 teams as determined by the Playoff Committee. individual conferences have determined which Independent teams they consider as "P5" teams when it comes to scheduling OOC games. All conferences have agreed ND and BYU count as P5 while the SEC have also included Army as a P5 school for OOC games.

The highest ranked team from the G5 conferences is guartenteed a spot in a "BCS/Access" type bowl (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach) but that has nothing to do with the 4 team playoffs.

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I guess that's what I meant, the access bowls not the playoffs. Will ND take the G5 spot.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I guess that's what I meant, the access bowls not the playoffs. Will ND take the G5 spot.

My understanding is that ND is a P5 team thus, they can't take the G5 scraps. However, they could play a G5 team in that access bowl.

Playoffs are for the top 4 teams as determined by the Playoff Committee. individual conferences have determined which Independent teams they consider as "P5" teams when it comes to scheduling OOC games. All conferences have agreed ND and BYU count as P5 while the SEC have also included Army as a P5 school for OOC games.

The highest ranked team from the G5 conferences is guartenteed a spot in a "BCS/Access" type bowl (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach) but that has nothing to do with the 4 team playoffs.

I had forgotten about that. Smooth move by the SEC classifying all the FBS Independents as P5 so Army can be used to fill that one P5 ooc game need ....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I had forgotten about that. Smooth move by the SEC classifying all the FBS Independents as P5 so Army can be used to fill that one P5 ooc game need ....

Maybe it's time for USF to go indie now ... 

:stirpot:

Maybe it's time for USF to go indie now ... 

:stirpot:

CarolinaBull just gave a fist pump ...

My understanding is that ND is a P5 team thus, they can't take the G5 scraps. However, they could play a G5 team in that access bowl.

Here's that explanation from the College Football Playoff site:

Participants in the New Year’s Bowls

Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrange­ment (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the dis­placed champion(s) will play in one of the other New Year’s bowls.

When not hosting semifinals, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls will welcome displaced conference champions and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The selection committee will make the pairings.