Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/new-big-ten-scheduling-mandates-power-5-opponents-no-fcs-foes/related/

B1G joins SEC and ACC in banning FCS games and requiring OCC games against other P5 teams. Strength of schedule means everything now and the chances for G5 teams to play P5 teams is coming to an end. 9 Confernce games + 1 OOC game against P5 + 1 OCC game against traditional team (like Texas vs Rice)

The ACC is even scheduling OOC games against other ACC teams and they won't count towards conf standings.

Okay, Duck Little, 9+1+1 = 11, and that 1 traditional game could double as the required 1 P5 game ... so they will still have 1 or 2 slots to fill every year. What may be harder to get will be a return game but there will still be plenty of spots for P5 vs G5 scheduling.

I'm surprised you don't see it coming. Saban has said it, the majority of P5 coaches polled support the idea as well (only playing P5 teams). Baylor and TCU got hit with it last season. The conferences are now MANDATING OCC games against other P5 schools. They've banned ALL games against FCS teams.

The gap between P5 and G5 is going to only get wider.

It may not be as easy as it was in the past but unless other scheduling mandates come down, there will still be opportunities for P5/G5 matchups .... especially with the banning of P5/FCS games ... which I think sucks because those paydays went a long way for some of those small schools.

Trip, there are P5 schools scheduling OCC games against teams in their own conference instead of playing a G5 team, and the games don't count for conf standings. Imagine Alabama agreeing to play Florida in an unscheduled SEC matchup because both teams want to have very strong strength of schedules outside of the 9 conf games. Plus from a revenue perspective, hosting Florida draws way more fans and $$$ versus hosting Tulsa.

If this catches on, the G5 will become the FCS.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,742
  • Days Won:  53

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/new-big-ten-scheduling-mandates-power-5-opponents-no-fcs-foes/related/

B1G joins SEC and ACC in banning FCS games and requiring OCC games against other P5 teams. Strength of schedule means everything now and the chances for G5 teams to play P5 teams is coming to an end. 9 Confernce games + 1 OOC game against P5 + 1 OCC game against traditional team (like Texas vs Rice)

The ACC is even scheduling OOC games against other ACC teams and they won't count towards conf standings.

Okay, Duck Little, 9+1+1 = 11, and that 1 traditional game could double as the required 1 P5 game ... so they will still have 1 or 2 slots to fill every year. What may be harder to get will be a return game but there will still be plenty of spots for P5 vs G5 scheduling.

I'm surprised you don't see it coming. Saban has said it, the majority of P5 coaches polled support the idea as well (only playing P5 teams). Baylor and TCU got hit with it last season. The conferences are now MANDATING OCC games against other P5 schools. They've banned ALL games against FCS teams.

It may not be as easy as it was in the past but unless other scheduling mandates come down, there will still be opportunities for P5/G5 matchups .... especially with the banning of P5/FCS games ... which I think sucks because those paydays went a long way for some of those small schools.

Trip, there are P5 schools scheduling OCC games against teams in their own conference instead of playing a G5 team, and the games don't count for conf standings. Imagine Alabama agreeing to play Florida in an unscheduled SEC matchup because both teams want to have very strong strength of schedules outside of the 9 conf games. Plus from a revenue perspective, hosting Florida draws way more fans and $$$ versus hosting Tulsa.

We kind of are already. It would just formalize it. I wonder if anyone could step in to save college football at that point?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I had no idea we were in the presence of royalty on TBP ... 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Like I said, it's possible for in the future, I just don't think it's very probable. What are the P5 teams scheduling teams in their own conference? I would be absolutely stunned if anything like your UA/UF scenario ever plays out, especially in the SEC, who think their conference schedules are infinitely more difficult than all the other conferences put together. With 3 ooc games, I can see 1 high profile P5 on there with the other 2 being G5's and lower tier P5's. The kicker being in return games and how that would play out.

Like I said, it's possible for in the future, I just don't think it's very probable. What are the P5 teams scheduling teams in their own conference? I would be absolutely stunned if anything like your UA/UF scenario ever plays out, especially in the SEC, who think their conference schedules are infinitely more difficult than all the other conferences put together. With 3 ooc games, I can see 1 high profile P5 on there with the other 2 being G5's and lower tier P5's. The kicker being in return games and how that would play out.

With 65 teams trying to secure a spot in a 4 team playoff, more and more teams will do everything in their power to get ranked in the top 4. This will include more early season neutral site games like Bama vs Wisky; Auburn vs Louisville; Texas A&M vs Arizona St. etc.

Also OCC games week 1 or 2 include Tennessee vs Oklahoma; Ohio St vs Va Tech; Mich St vs Oregon; Northwestern vs Stanford; UCLA vs Virginia; TCU vs Minnesota; etc.

Teams will be rewarded by playing and WINNING a schedule that is all P5. Granted if you lose to those P5 schools you will be in worse shape than if you scheduled G5 OCC and won those games.

North Carolina and Wake Forest announced an unprecedented scheduling agreement earlier on Monday. The two ACC schools announced they will play a pair of non-conference games in 2019 and 2021. It is the first such scheduling agreement between power conference schools within the same conference, and it has been received to mixed reviews.

PRO: It creates a game fans will look forward to

North Carolina and Wake Forest each have a duty to satisfy their alums, students and fans. By scheduling a game against an in-state rival they rarely get to see, North Carolina and Wake Forest are each giving their fans something to look forward to. In a world where conference expansion has taken away some annual or near-annual rivalry games, North Carolina and Wake Forest have found a way to resume playing more often instead of waiting for the ACC schedule to pair them up on a rotating basis.

CON: It sets a somewhat sketchy precedent for the sport

With power conferences creating a larger divide between the haves and have-nots in college football, power conferences scheduling games against opponents from inside their own conference ultimately takes away not one, but potentially two opportunities for schools from the Group of Five to schedule at least a marginally attractive game on their respective schedules.

PRO: It can have a positive effect on each school’s overall body of work

Not that anyone is honestly ready to suggest North Carolina or Wake Forest will be competing for a spot in the College Football Playoff in four to six years, but in a hypothetical world both schools have added a power conference opponent to the schedule. In theory, this should result in a positive effect on the strength of schedule for either UNC or Wake Forets (or both).

CON: It neutralizes the conference’s overall strength of schedule

Rather than going out and competing against the SEC, Pac-12 Big Ten or Big 12, what North Carolina and Wake Forest are doing is dropping an anchor on the ACC’s overall strength of schedule. The College Football Playoff selection committee, however it is formed by 2019 or 2021 rolls around, may be unlikely to acknowledge the ACC if ACC schools are scheduling non-conference games against each other. The committee will be more impressed with victories over other power conferences, because they will be able to evaluate the strength of each conference better with true out-of-conference match-ups on the schedule.

PRO: In-state rivalries are a good thing

It is always good to see in-state rivalries thrive when possible, and North Carolina and Wake Forest managed to ensure there will be one more to pay attention to in the state. Because of this, it may not be a shock to eventually see Duke and N.C. State explore a similar arrangement, which would add more to the whole concept of a state championship in the state of North Carolina.

CON: Sucks to be an East Carolina fan.

Edited by Sellular1

With 65 teams trying to secure a spot in a 4 team playoff, more and more teams will do everything in their power to get ranked in the top 4. This will include more early season neutral site games like Bama vs Wisky; Auburn vs Louisville; Texas A&M vs Arizona St. etc.

Also OCC games week 1 or 2 include Tennessee vs Oklahoma; Ohio St vs Va Tech; Mich St vs Oregon; Northwestern vs Stanford; UCLA vs Virginia; TCU vs Minnesota; etc.

Teams will be rewarded by playing and WINNING a schedule that is all P5. Granted if you lose to those P5 schools you will be in worse shape than if you scheduled G5 OCC and won those games.

Every year there have been quality ooc P5 matchups and I do agree that they will be more common in the future BUT, that is inconsequential to us G5ers. The key is what those teams do with their other 2 ooc games going forward and with the FCS being squeezed out if the picture, it leaves more room for the likes of us.

North Carolina and Wake Forest announced an unprecedented scheduling agreement earlier on Monday. The two ACC schools announced they will play a pair of non-conference games in 2019 and 2021. It is the first such scheduling agreement between power conference schools within the same conference, and it has been received to mixed reviews.

PRO: It creates a game fans will look forward to

North Carolina and Wake Forest each have a duty to satisfy their alums, students and fans. By scheduling a game against an in-state rival they rarely get to see, North Carolina and Wake Forest are each giving their fans something to look forward to. In a world where conference expansion has taken away some annual or near-annual rivalry games, North Carolina and Wake Forest have found a way to resume playing more often instead of waiting for the ACC schedule to pair them up on a rotating basis.

CON: It sets a somewhat sketchy precedent for the sport

With power conferences creating a larger divide between the haves and have-nots in college football, power conferences scheduling games against opponents from inside their own conference ultimately takes away not one, but potentially two opportunities for schools from the Group of Five to schedule at least a marginally attractive game on their respective schedules.

PRO: It can have a positive effect on each school’s overall body of work

Not that anyone is honestly ready to suggest North Carolina or Wake Forest will be competing for a spot in the College Football Playoff in four to six years, but in a hypothetical world both schools have added a power conference opponent to the schedule. In theory, this should result in a positive effect on the strength of schedule for either UNC or Wake Forets (or both).

CON: It neutralizes the conference’s overall strength of schedule

Rather than going out and competing against the SEC, Pac-12 Big Ten or Big 12, what North Carolina and Wake Forest are doing is dropping an anchor on the ACC’s overall strength of schedule. The College Football Playoff selection committee, however it is formed by 2019 or 2021 rolls around, may be unlikely to acknowledge the ACC if ACC schools are scheduling non-conference games against each other. The committee will be more impressed with victories over other power conferences, because they will be able to evaluate the strength of each conference better with true out-of-conference match-ups on the schedule.

PRO: In-state rivalries are a good thing

It is always good to see in-state rivalries thrive when possible, and North Carolina and Wake Forest managed to ensure there will be one more to pay attention to in the state. Because of this, it may not be a shock to eventually see Duke and N.C. State explore a similar arrangement, which would add more to the whole concept of a state championship in the state of North Carolina.

CON: Sucks to be an East Carolina fan.

Did you write that? I thought the Pros and Cons listed were pretty good. Will be interesting to see if it's the start of a nationwide trend ...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I had no idea we were in the presence of royalty on TBP ...

We've always had drama queens here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I think as far as SOS goes playing teams within your own conference is a waste. The championship will already make sure that the best team moves forward from that conference.

It more of a an insulating move especially if they all get on board and play no OOC games, which is idiotic. This must have to do with forming a rivalry between some academically equivalent in state schools.

SOS is also a double edged sword. You may insert a L in your column by pushing to play all P5 schools that would otherwise not be there and prevent a nice bowl. That is much worse than not being in the discussion at all b/c of SOS. While there are some bottom dwellers in the P5s what would be ideal is playing G5 schools that are good but you may be able to outlast due to deeper recruiting. Which is what has been done traditionally.