Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Also, the Big 10 loves AAU schools. Is there a benefit to that? Or is that just another preference? We lost Pitt and gained Tulane. I would presume this isn't factoring in at all since we picked Houston over Rice.

Academics has nothing to do with who the Big East is adding. I think they are looking at Market size, fan base, and potential to grow (massive undergrad enrollment See UCF and Houston).

Oh, I know that. I guess I was asking does the Big East see that as a benefit?

NO! Its about football TV money and getting as much as you can which is going to be more than you get not but no way near the $8.8 mil offered by ESPN to Big East two months ago. I figure somewhere around $6 mil for Tiers 1&2 for a USF with both FB & BB and $3 mil for a school that only has 1 sport.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Big 12 goes to 14, with FSU, Miami, CU and NC St (assuming GT is gone), maybe 16 sooner than later with BYU and Boise St. (but only 14 now for this)

Leaves -

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Wake Forest

Duke

Louisville

Add -

UConn

CIncy

Navy

USF

Need 2 - 4 more to get to 12 or 14

Other possible adds

UCF

Houston

Memphis

Temple

SMU

Why would the Big 12 go to 14 though? If they had their own network I would understand, but NC State (regional appeal at best) and a sanctioned Miami (with dwindling national appeal) isn't going to push the needle that much on a Tier 1, Tier 2 deal. Taking FSU and Clemson is good enough to definitively knock the ACC well below the Big 12, and good enough to get the championship game and renegotiate their contract with two "national" teams added. Just my two cents though.

Why would the Big 12 go to 14 though? If they had their own network I would understand, but NC State (regional appeal at best) and a sanctioned Miami (with dwindling national appeal) isn't going to push the needle that much on a Tier 1, Tier 2 deal. Taking FSU and Clemson is good enough to definitively knock the ACC well below the Big 12, and good enough to get the championship game and renegotiate their contract with two "national" teams added. Just my two cents though.

14 manadates that ESPN has to renegotiate the contract, without 4 then Fox (because ESPN wants to hold onto ACC) has to pay for all the extra money for 2 schools which could be $100 mil to get FSU and Clemson and other current schools to $25 mil a year.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903

Big 12 goes to 14, with FSU, Miami, CU and NC St (assuming GT is gone), maybe 16 sooner than later with BYU and Boise St. (but only 14 now for this)

Leaves -

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Wake Forest

Duke

Louisville

Add -

UConn

CIncy

Navy

USF

Need 2 - 4 more to get to 12 or 14

Other possible adds

UCF

Houston

Memphis

Temple

SMU

Why is Clemson national and NC State regional? I would say they're both regional.

Clemson is semi- national, has national title good state market and good national viewership has better hold than Gamecocks (who really just gained sucess again recently with Spurrier), NC State is regional but if you get them away from UNC and Duke they become semi-national and this is what that is about.

WVU is semi-national imo also, it drives the state of WV of course but it adds Pittsburgh and DC Metro markets (eastern panhandle of WV). No we dont control those markets but again gain alot of viewerships. Again there is two TV models and Big 12 is the one without a network mainly due to Texas, ESPN, and Longhorn Network.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

If the ACC is left with just BC, Duke, and WF as current members, is there any chance we rescind the cUSA offers, hang onto Pitt/Cuse/UL/ND, and absorb the ACC leftovers? For Pitt/Cuse, they keep their BBall rivals and get off cheaper, paying only the restocking fees for the cUSA schools instead of the current buyout. Any deal the ACC has with the Orange Bowl would be renegotiated anyway if 11 of 14 ACC members are new. We could still keep some of the new FBall-only schools to round out the league (12 with BSU/SDSU).

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

Any deal the ACC has with the Orange Bowl would be renegotiated anyway if 11 of 14 ACC members are new.

Yep.

And at that point, I doubt the name ACC will exist either. If it truly comes to this, I imagine a new regional conference with a new name and new identity will be formed with the best pieces left.

Again, we will still be on the outside of the contract bowls looking in, but with perhaps a better contract.

I do not see USF ever being a member of the "ACC".

Edited by BaltoBull

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

If the ACC is left with just BC, Duke, and WF as current members, is there any chance we rescind the cUSA offers, hang onto Pitt/Cuse/UL/ND, and absorb the ACC leftovers? For Pitt/Cuse, they keep their BBall rivals and get off cheaper, paying only the restocking fees for the cUSA schools instead of the current buyout. Any deal the ACC has with the Orange Bowl would be renegotiated anyway if 11 of 14 ACC members are new. We could still keep some of the new FBall-only schools to round out the league (12 with BSU/SDSU).

my question is would the "New ACC" still be included in the top5 conferences for the playoff configuration or whatever you call it.?

my question is would the "New ACC" still be included in the top5 conferences for the playoff configuration or whatever you call it.?

For now yes, until a new contract would happen that would require a conference champion (4-16s or 4-20s ). So basically until ND was forced to enter a conference and then PAC would expand somewhat.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

I don't see it happening. I think the endgame is four 'super-conferences' who will ink contracts with the 'prestige' bowls based on team and conference 'brands'. The goal is for the major bowls to not have their hands tied and have to invite someone due to NCAA rules. Again, look at the animosity towards Kent State and the chatter of a 6-7 Georgia Tech possibly 'stealing' San Jose State's bowl bid after being granted a waiver from the NCAA..

I believe those teams not in the 'super four' will be left with the scraps.

Edited by BaltoBull