Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm just curious, how many on here actually believe that an OCS would have such a huge impact that it would tip the scales in our favor in terms of realignment?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Who knows it may impact realignment, it may not. It will impact the student experience which is what all college programs should be about. I think it will happen, and it may even happen soon. Harlan has a lot to fix, and I am sure this is on the to do list somewhere but if we want it done right we will need to let him do the proper planning and behind the scenes work. Plus we need time to get this thread to 1000

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Winning, or OCS or conference realignment fixes all.

There's one we can fix ourselves, right now.

Announce the OCS?

sure, but for full effect you need to wait until April 1st.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In and of itself i don't see where an OCS is a deciding factor on a conference upgrade. You will get an initial spike in attendance because of the novelty of a new venue.  that may last a full season.  However, if you are still playing boring, mediocre football against Tulsa, Temple, SMU, etc an OCS will do little to increase the attendance over a long period of time.

Fix the  product on the field.  Create a marketable product then the fans will come.  

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,871
  • Days Won:  25

Who knows it may impact realignment, it may not. It will impact the student experience which is what all college programs should be about. I think it will happen, and it may even happen soon. Harlan has a lot to fix, and I am sure this is on the to do list somewhere but if we want it done right we will need to let him do the proper planning and behind the scenes work. Plus we need time to get this thread to 1000[/quote

College sports are is about the students. It's about regenerating revenue and increasing exposure. There is it altruism in our higher education system.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Who knows it may impact realignment, it may not. It will impact the student experience which is what all college programs should be about. I think it will happen, and it may even happen soon. Harlan has a lot to fix, and I am sure this is on the to do list somewhere but if we want it done right we will need to let him do the proper planning and behind the scenes work. Plus we need time to get this thread to 1000

Students don't drive college sports.  Paying fans and donors drive it.  If the students wanted to go to the games, they would.  They seem to be able to make it to Ybor with no problem.

I'm all for an OCS, done right, but I am sure that, "student experience" is way down on the list of reasons to build it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

In and of itself i don't see where an OCS is a deciding factor on a conference upgrade. You will get an initial spike in attendance because of the novelty of a new venue.  that may last a full season.  However, if you are still playing boring, mediocre football against Tulsa, Temple, SMU, etc an OCS will do little to increase the attendance over a long period of time.

Fix the  product on the field.  Create a marketable product then the fans will come.  

tumblr_mmi198ciUb1qasthro4_500.gif

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

Students don't drive college sports.  Paying fans and donors drive it.  If the students wanted to go to the games, they would.  They seem to be able to make it to Ybor with no problem.

I'm all for an OCS, done right, but I am sure that, "student experience" is way down on the list of reasons to build it.

Did you go to the game at Camp Randal????

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

You have to look at it as a long term plan. When students have vibrant culture to be a part of it gets ingrained in them. When they are out of school they want to come back to be a part of that experience. Yes short term factors winning = seats. However long term when you couple the football product with reconnecting with the university, with organisations you were a part of, with tailgating at your alma mater, it becomes a more valuable experience and product. Adding an OCS will be a large cost, but it also adds value to both the university and the football program.

Just remember the students will become the donors and fans. I know going to the games as a student back in 06-09 is what made me a paying fan and donor in the years since.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I think this is an incredibly short-sighted view. Every big time college program has been built on a foundation of the fans and donors you mention who became that when they were students. If students don't ever go to games, you can be pretty sure they aren't ever going to become the foundation of the program.