Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

This thread is hilarious.

For years, this board has been saying a UCF&USF package deal.

Now, everyone has accepted truth. USF will be left behind, because they made the right moves too late.

TCU did it right, and UCF has built a strong resume.

Expansion is not ONLY about football... so what else does UCF have?

It's about revenue and TV markets... and football is the biggest driver.

Typical of USF fans to down play success in a sport - in which they struggle.

Now it's "they"?

Bears aren't Bulls

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I don't think the criteria that guided the last wave of expansion will guide the next.

For example, Rutgers, as ****** as they are as humans, still owned the NY/NJ TV market.  Pitt has a following and a history.  Louisville owned the town.

What's left is not much.

It's going to take supreme desperation to add any of the rest.  And when they do, TVs won't matter, neither will girls basketball or softball.  It will be a speculative bid on who could become something, and that may be too big a risk to take.  Either way, you better be competitive and you better have some fans.  TV doesn't matter if all you see are red empty seats, except when the Seminoles are in town.

Long, long way to go to be in the discussion.

That is the wild card here .... and we're already in the discussion by a lot of the "pundits" out there so I think you're "Long, long way to go to be in the discussion" is a wee bit melodramatic.

I don't think the criteria that guided the last wave of expansion will guide the next.

For example, Rutgers, as ****** as they are as humans, still owned the NY/NJ TV market.  Pitt has a following and a history.  Louisville owned the town.

What's left is not much.

It's going to take supreme desperation to add any of the rest.  And when they do, TVs won't matter, neither will girls basketball or softball.  It will be a speculative bid on who could become something, and that may be too big a risk to take.  Either way, you better be competitive and you better have some fans.  TV doesn't matter if all you see are red empty seats, except when the Seminoles are in town.

TV won't matter?

TV is the only thing that matters.  Well, not really.  But very nearly.  Aren't Cincy and USF the biggest TV markets left unaccounted for?

Per Nielsen , it's Houston @ 10 and us at @13 of the names that have been thrown around. Cincy is lower than Hartford ...

This thread is hilarious.

For years, this board has been saying a UCF&USF package deal.

Now, everyone has accepted truth. USF will be left behind, because they made the right moves too late.

TCU did it right, and UCF has built a strong resume.

Expansion is not ONLY about football... so what else does UCF have?

It's about revenue and TV markets... and football is the biggest driver.

Typical of USF fans to down play success in a sport - in which they struggle.

Now it's "they"?

Bears aren't Bulls

Bears eat beets.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

What's left is not much.

If I'm a B12 AD I need be looking at the future. Let's say the prime "donation" years of your alumni is between 55-75 years old on average. A rolling 20 year window in which the students from the previous 30-50 years are in a financial position make their contributions. A university with a 25,000 student body will produce 500,000 potential doners over those 20 years. Now look at a school like UCF with 60,000 students. That's 1,200,000 potential doners. The University Foundations take in billions of dollars, buildings get named, scholorships get funded, endowments get created. This is what the private donors create.

If the Big12 took USF and UCF they would be getting 2,100,000 donors/fans in that 20 year sweetspot and a contiguous TV footprint packed with those millions of fans. As a school, USF is so new we are still on our 1st generation of donors in the 55-75 year old range. Schools like Texas that have been around since 1870's are already on their 4th or 5th generation. That 5 generation lead in today's student volume is over 10,000,000 people.

So look long term Big12.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

I share an office with a UCF alum and am subjected to obnoxious banter daily about their program. He's always on their Rivals board at work and was kind enough to point out that this thread is an on-going joke on their board.

I can see why. Maybe we should sit back and look at this objectively.

First and foremost, I want to say that they're not going to be accepted to the BIG 12 unless it's a backfill position in which they'll be left in a different version of the AAC/C-USA. Now they're talking about the ACC is interested in them as well and they'll have the pick of the two. A ton of ego and delusion on their behalf.

However, they are a significantly more attractive addition to P5 expansion than we are; even with a known morally inept AD.

We have a larger TV market (bodes well for us), we don't even register on it. They have a smaller but still solid TV market in which they are the most popular school in town (a social media demographic affiliation map showed that they owned central Florida and UF owned us as well and the majority of Florida, and Miami had their section, and FSU had the top half). That bodes well for them.

We still live in 07', yes we were ranked #2 in the nation. A solid accomplishment, (and oh so much sweeter that it was earned by standing on the corpse of what was their team), but why do we forget that we didn't finish the season ranked? We've never finished a season ranked, they have (multiple times), in the top 10 even. Their football program has surpassed us, it sucks to say, and definitely did so with some underhanded work (David Kelly, O'Leary, etc). It's true, they've won multiple conference titles and we have a mascot challenge.

We are paying 3 separate individuals for our head-coaching position. 2 of them not to be our **** coach. The one we do pay to be our coach is threatening to drive our program into the bay if he can't get his great recruiting classes to pan out. Central Florida is paying one guy to do two jobs, one of which he's done a **** good job, and the other he could succeed because of the good ole boy nature of college athletics that will overlook every indiscretion (of which there are many) of his.

They have an OCS that they put 40k people into every game, and we have a cavernous RJS that the golden knights brought more fans to last year than we did. Their campus is gorgeous (I had to go there for some work-related crap 2 years ago) and they have an indoor practice facility (doesn't help their athlete's health does it).

Their president is in some union with several of the BIG 12 presidents and he networks with those guys all the time. We have f***ing Genshaft. I hear a term all the time "Gen-Shafted" and not just from the blowhard who is napping at his desk atm, but from a lot of people not affiliated with that school. She's burned more bridges than Sherman.

It pains me to say that they are clearly the better option for expansion than we are. Obviously 10 years ago it was us who were the better option and that's why the Big East took us, but the tables have turned. There is some great potential for USF, and if expansion is prolonged a few years we could be the hot item again. First we need an OCS, second Taggart needs to get this young talent to start winning. I see that happening this season. That'll drive attendance up which in turn will increase revenue/demand for the program and raise interest in an OCS. If I can drive down to games from Orlando, I expect locals to make it to Tampa.

Listen expansion isn't happening now which is good for us because we'd be left out if it was. Also, it's killing those golden knights, all they talk about is expansion and how everyone wants their taint. They get their hopes up from every tweet mentioning them, and when expansion happens down the road without them, it'll be nice to see them sob all over the internet.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,346
  • Days Won:  490

For example, Rutgers, as ****** as they are as humans, still owned the NY/NJ TV market. Pitt has a following and a history. Louisville owned the town.

What's left is not much.

It's going to take supreme desperation to add any of the rest. And when they do, TVs won't matter, neither will girls basketball or softball. It will be a speculative bid on who could become something, and that may be too big a risk to take. Either way, you better be competitive and you better have some fans. TV doesn't matter if all you see are red empty seats, except when the Seminoles are in town.

TV won't matter?

TV is the only thing that matters. Well, not really. But very nearly. Aren't Cincy and USF the biggest TV markets left unaccounted for?

It matters ... and the fact that USF isn't number one (or two, or three) in its own market means it won't matter. Delivering TVs that few will turn on to watch USF hurts the impact of the market. If they are turning on the SEC and ACC, what good do they do for the Big 12?

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I share an office with a UCF alum and am subjected to obnoxious banter daily about their program. He's always on their Rivals board at work and was kind enough to point out that this thread is an on-going joke on their board.

First and foremost, I want to say that they're not going to be accepted to the BIG 12 unless it's a backfill position in which they'll be left in a different version of the AAC/C-USA. Now they're talking about the ACC is interested in them as well and they'll have the pick of the two. A ton of ego and delusion on their behalf.

However, they are a significantly more attractive addition to P5 expansion than we are; even with a known morally inept AD.

We have a larger TV market (bodes well for us), we don't even register on it. They have a smaller but still solid TV market in which they are the most popular school in town (a social media demographic affiliation map showed that they owned central Florida and UF owned us as well and the majority of Florida, and Miami had their section, and FSU had the top half). That bodes well for them.

We still live in 07', yes we were ranked #2 in the nation. A solid accomplishment, (and oh so much sweeter that it was earned by standing on the corpse of what was their team), but why do we forget that we didn't finish the season ranked? We've never finished a season ranked, they have (multiple times), in the top 10 even. Their football program has surpassed us, it sucks to say, and definitely did so with some underhanded work (David Kelly, O'Leary, etc). It's true, they've won multiple conference titles and we have a mascot challenge.

We are paying 3 separate individuals for our head-coaching position. 2 of them not to be our **** coach. The one we do pay to be our coach is threatening to drive our program into the bay if he can't get his great recruiting classes to pan out. Central Florida is paying one guy to do two jobs, one of which he's done a **** good job, and the other he could succeed because of the good ole boy nature of college athletics that will overlook every indiscretion (of which there are many) of his.

They have an OCS that they put 40k people into every game, and we have a cavernous RJS that the golden knights brought more fans to last year than we did. Their campus is gorgeous (I had to go there for some work-related crap 2 years ago) and they have an indoor practice facility (doesn't help their athlete's health does it).

Their president is in some union with several of the BIG 12 presidents and he networks with those guys all the time. We have f***ing Genshaft. I hear a term all the time "Gen-Shafted" and not just from the blowhard who is napping at his desk atm, but from a lot of people not affiliated with that school. She's burned more bridges than Sherman.

It pains me to say that they are clearly the better option for expansion than we are. Obviously 10 years ago it was us who were the better option and that's why the Big East took us, but the tables have turned. There is some great potential for USF, and if expansion is prolonged a few years we could be the hot item again. First we need an OCS, second Taggart needs to get this young talent to start winning. I see that happening this season. That'll drive attendance up which in turn will increase revenue/demand for the program and raise interest in an OCS. If I can drive down to games from Orlando, I expect locals to make it to Tampa.

Listen expansion isn't happening now which is good for us because we'd be left out if it was. Also, it's killing those golden knights, all they talk about is expansion and how everyone wants their taint. They get their hopes up from every tweet mentioning them, and when expansion happens down the road without them, it'll be nice to see them sob all over the internet.

Best post by a UCFer I've ever read. You should teach some of your buddies how to type.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

However, they are a significantly more attractive addition to P5 expansion than we are; even with a known morally inept AD.

We still live in 07', yes we were ranked #2 in the nation. A solid accomplishment, (and oh so much sweeter that it was earned by standing on the corpse of what was their team), but why do we forget that we didn't finish the season ranked? We've never finished a season ranked, they have (multiple times), in the top 10 even. Their football program has surpassed us, it sucks to say, and definitely did so with some underhanded work (David Kelly, O'Leary, etc). It's true, they've won multiple conference titles and we have a mascot challenge.

Best post by a UCFer I've ever read. You should teach some of your buddies how to type.

Absolutely.  John Hitt did a great job on that post.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

???