Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Yes, if a stadium were the magic ticket USF would be making a huge effort to build one. It's not that important in the grand scheme of realignment like fan base, merchandising and winning.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

I would have to think that if the stadium issue were the last of the criteria to hold the school getting into a new conference the school would make the move to get the ball rolling on an on campus stadium. 

I have refrained from chiming in on the entire subject, but since I am on it; at this point, personally, I think we are in pretty good shape.  New basketball stadium, great recruiting grounds, one of the strongest tv markets in the country, growing academic success, etc (all have been discussed ad nauseum).  A couple of things I see in our favor is the overall success of the athletic department in recent years (soccer, softball, golf tennis). Wasn't the school just recognized as having the highest ranking in the Learfield Cup (or whatever that award was) in the conference?  I think that is an important development towards taking the next step.

It is possible that whoever makes the decisions on allowing programs into a new conference would look at recent success or failure on the field. but it would be foolish to make long term decisions on a couple of years of success based on one sport.   Look at the kids that Taggart is bringing in.  That will be a pretty **** god team within two years, whether it is Taggart or someone else at the helm.  Basketball is still a huge question mark, but success on the field in any one sport can be up and down in any given 3 or 4 year period.  Look at where FSU was just 3 or 4 years ago.  On the opposite side of success same can be said of the Gators. 

In my opinion, as objectively as I can, we bring more, across the athletic spectrum bot on and off the field, than just about any program in the country.  Same can be said with the off the field stuff. 

Sweet, we are activating godmode in football! bout time. 

I would like to think things are looking up as well, but it could also be just that we are now so low. Regardless up is the way we need to, and will go. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I haven't gone over the previous pages, so I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up. But I think if USF initiated the plans for an OCS, that could really signify that USF athletics is serious about growth. This might get us more interest.

Just get the talk and all of that going at the administration level, even start fundraising. How much can all that cost (to get things rolling)? Then, the papers are going pick it up, and then that's going to add another feather in our cap for expansion.

Cool idea. Perhaps someone could photoshop an aerial photo of the USF campus with a stadium on it?

I agree with BB14, at least start some serious talk. It seems that almost every school that we might be in "competition" with has some sort of stadium in the planning or construction phase. 

Which makes us unique .... Who knows, maybe the B12 would be intrigued by their teams playing in an NFL stadium. If our stadium issue had any affect at all, IMO, it would lean towards the positive.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,711
  • Days Won:  53

Yes, if a stadium were the magic ticket USF would be making a huge effort to build one. It's not that important in the grand scheme of realignment like fan base, merchandising and winning.

Merchandising? I thought I wasn't the target market with these hideous uniform changes, so I stopped buying merchandise. Do I need to start again?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Merchandising? I thought I wasn't the target market with these hideous uniform changes, so I stopped buying merchandise. Do I need to start again?

Because the only USF merchandise available are "SoFlo" uniforms/color schemes :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Expansion is driven by TV and fan support. Tampa has the TV market but we as fans need to do a better job at supporting our program, yes we have stunk last few years but every team goes thru years like those. A P5 conference would like to add schools that even in those down years fans will show up.

You want USF to be in next round of expansions? Buy tickets, show up to game and donate to athletics

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Expansion is driven by TV and fan support. Tampa has the TV market but we as fans need to do a better job at supporting our program, yes we have stunk last few years but every team goes thru years like those. A P5 conference would like to add schools that even in those down years fans will show up.

You want USF to be in next round of expansions? Buy tickets, show up to game and donate to athletics

If the two women's NCAA tournament basketball games that we hosted here in Tampa are a good indicator, I think we have afanbase that is just starved for some success in football. I know the Tampa Sports Authority and TECO did a great service in subsidizing attendance to those two games, but the atmsophere in the SunDome for women's basketball was beyond anything I had experienced in the SunDome since 1997.

We have some great hardcore fans, we just need to attract those "fly by nighters" and hope that some consistent winning helps convert them into the hardcore. Never underestimate the bandwagon nature of Tampa sports fans. We win, they'll be there.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

I haven't gone over the previous pages, so I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up. But I think if USF initiated the plans for an OCS, that could really signify that USF athletics is serious about growth. This might get us more interest.

Just get the talk and all of that going at the administration level, even start fundraising. How much can all that cost (to get things rolling)? Then, the papers are going pick it up, and then that's going to add another feather in our cap for expansion.

Cool idea. Perhaps someone could photoshop an aerial photo of the USF campus with a stadium on it?

I agree with BB14, at least start some serious talk. It seems that almost every school that we might be in "competition" with has some sort of stadium in the planning or construction phase. 

Exactly.  I mean Miami got into the ACC right after they built their OCS.

When will you quit living in the past and quit posting with old worn out quotes that have ZERO to do with USF?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

If the two women's NCAA tournament basketball games that we hosted here in Tampa are a good indicator, I think we have afanbase that is just starved for some success in football. I know the Tampa Sports Authority and TECO did a great service in subsidizing attendance to those two games, but the atmsophere in the SunDome for women's basketball was beyond anything I had experienced in the SunDome since 1997.

We have some great hardcore fans, we just need to attract those "fly by nighters" and hope that some consistent winning helps convert them into the hardcore. Never underestimate the bandwagon nature of Tampa sports fans. We win, they'll be there.

I don't think Tampa's bandwagoning fans are going to do much for our situation pertaining to realignment. What the conferences will probably look for is long term commitments by a fanbase, ie contributions. The G5's who moved up, and financials are available, almost all had significantly higher contribution levels than us, sustained for a while.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,711
  • Days Won:  53

Look everyone, let's just agree to have an OCS.