Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

I haven't gone over the previous pages, so I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up. But I think if USF initiated the plans for an OCS, that could really signify that USF athletics is serious about growth. This might get us more interest.

Just get the talk and all of that going at the administration level, even start fundraising. How much can all that cost (to get things rolling)? Then, the papers are going pick it up, and then that's going to add another feather in our cap for expansion.

That's the dumbest idea I have ever read...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I haven't gone over the previous pages, so I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up. But I think if USF initiated the plans for an OCS, that could really signify that USF athletics is serious about growth. This might get us more interest.

Just get the talk and all of that going at the administration level, even start fundraising. How much can all that cost (to get things rolling)? Then, the papers are going pick it up, and then that's going to add another feather in our cap for expansion.

That's the dumbest idea I have ever read written...

Corrected it for you ... ;)

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Cool idea. Perhaps someone could photoshop an aerial photo of the USF campus with a stadium on it?

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

Cool idea. Perhaps someone could photoshop an aerial photo of the USF campus with a stadium on it?

I agree with BB14, at least start some serious talk. It seems that almost every school that we might be in "competition" with has some sort of stadium in the planning or construction phase. 

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I agree with BB14, at least start some serious talk. It seems that almost every school that we might be in "competition" with has some sort of stadium in the planning or construction phase. 

Exactly.  I mean Miami got into the ACC right after they built their OCS.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

What happens when you start the serious talk, and the fundraising, and at the end of the day you have the serious talk but not the funds?

I had one of the fundraisers at USF explain it to me before, and I've relayed that here...they would never open the fundraising to the masses of $50 donors until they secure some bigger donor commitments from heavy hitters.  They start with the heavy hitters and work their way down.

Again, they don't want to be at the end of year one and have $37,000 committed from 75,000 donors.  Also, when you are fishing for the big bucks, opening it up to the small donors first, sets the bar low. 

Anyway, it's just not how it's done.  It's the big commitments first.  We obviously do not have any or enough of them to move forward yet.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

I hope he saw my invisible sarcasm font.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I hope he saw my invisible sarcasm font.

A lot don't know, or care about, the intricacies and personalities of the board ... I just saw an opening and took the shot.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I would have to think that if the stadium issue were the last of the criteria to hold the school getting into a new conference the school would make the move to get the ball rolling on an on campus stadium. 

I have refrained from chiming in on the entire subject, but since I am on it; at this point, personally, I think we are in pretty good shape.  New basketball stadium, great recruiting grounds, one of the strongest tv markets in the country, growing academic success, etc (all have been discussed ad nauseum).  A couple of things I see in our favor is the overall success of the athletic department in recent years (soccer, softball, golf tennis). Wasn't the school just recognized as having the highest ranking in the Learfield Cup (or whatever that award was) in the conference?  I think that is an important development towards taking the next step.

It is possible that whoever makes the decisions on allowing programs into a new conference would look at recent success or failure on the field. but it would be foolish to make long term decisions on a couple of years of success based on one sport.   Look at the kids that Taggart is bringing in.  That will be a pretty **** god team within two years, whether it is Taggart or someone else at the helm.  Basketball is still a huge question mark, but success on the field in any one sport can be up and down in any given 3 or 4 year period.  Look at where FSU was just 3 or 4 years ago.  On the opposite side of success same can be said of the Gators. 

In my opinion, as objectively as I can, we bring more, across the athletic spectrum bot on and off the field, than just about any program in the country.  Same can be said with the off the field stuff. 

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,278
  • Days Won:  1

Winning will cure everything. Al Davis said it best just win baby win

• Upvote 1