Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Great points here about the Florida cable mkt:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-big-12-should-go-to-14-teams-070115

Second, adding South Florida or Central Florida seems like a no brainer because there are twenty million people in the state of Florida. But the question is, could you get full cable or satellite distribution in Florida with either of these two teams? That is, do fans care enough to demand that their cable or satellite service carry the Big 12 network if you add USF or UCF? (Remember, this has been the Pac 12's problem with its network. Fans just don't care enough.)

That's a roll of the dice. In an ideal scenario you'd figure out which team is likely to be better going forward and which team has the most rabid fan base and then you'd pick that team to add to the Big 12. (Remember, two teams in the same state doesn't make sense in a conference network era). 

But does either school really move the needle by itself?

The state of Florida is worth roughly $80 million a year if you could get a team fully distributed in the Sunshine State. 

Which is why the really interesting play would be adding both schools at once. You get a natural rivalry and double the pressure for cable and satellite companies in the state to carry your network. But if you wanted to maximize revenue, you'd roll the dice on one team.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Neither team will carry the full state.  Hell, both teams wont carry the full state.

That said, both teams would immediately add the Tampa, Orlando, and their surrounding markets pretty easily.  Either team would pull their base market, but neither would get both.  Both schools are big enough to eventually capture the state as a whole.

The only way USF goes into the acc is if FSU or Miami leave for the sec or big 10.

Which is laughable and will never happen.  UF will never allow FSU into the SEC.  The entirety of the SEC would never allow Miami.  

FSU does not have the academic profile of the Big 10 and no one is going to take Miami.

The only chance we had with the ACC was for FSU to go to the Big 12 and Miami to get over themselves.  It's not happening

I wouldn't say never. FSU had the SEC invite in 1990, but they rejected it in favor of ACC. The SEC hates that it lost some of FL to the ACC & BE, so if it could gain a higher market share in the state, it's still possible they'd go back to the well. If they're still butt-hurt about the rejection, then yeah they'll make them rot.

I agree on Miami, I very much doubt that one. Miami's lucky to be where they are right now.

I will say Never for FSU.  The SEC expansion will be about adding new states. Oklahoma makes sense... and last time they also looked at North Carolina and Virginia.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,722
  • Days Won:  53

Neither team will carry the full state.  Hell, both teams wont carry the full state.

That said, both teams would immediately add the Tampa, Orlando, and their surrounding markets pretty easily.  Either team would pull their base market, but neither would get both.  Both schools are big enough to eventually capture the state as a whole.

I agree with you. Grabbing both would be a pretty good combination for subscribers. And I would start watching other college football teams again too if I didn't feel like we were playing in an entirely different division.

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,278
  • Days Won:  1

Neither team will carry the full state. Hell, both teams wont carry the full state.

That said, both teams would immediately add the Tampa, Orlando, and their surrounding markets pretty easily. Either team would pull their base market, but neither would get both. Both schools are big enough to eventually capture the state as a whole.

I agree with you. Grabbing both would be a pretty good combination for subscribers. And I would start watching other college football teams again too if I didn't feel like we were playing in an entirely different division.

More importantly it would give the conference the I-4 corridor as a recruiting ground to get kids to their schools while possibly stealing some from fsu or uf

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

but like I said, no one outside of the American would take Miami.

Realignment started because of Miami.

Realignment has been happening for 100 years, and it will continue for another 100 at least.  Times change, schools change, priorities change, needs change.  It has ever been thus.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  2

Texas pushing Nebraska out started this most recent wave ...

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Realignment has been happening for 100 years, and it will continue for another 100 at least.  Times change, schools change, priorities change, needs change.  It has ever been thus.

Tulane started it all in 1965, according to the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/11/30/football-conferences/

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Tulane started it all in 1965, according to the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/11/30/football-conferences/

And here I thought it started on page 1 of this thread, whoops

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I haven't gone over the previous pages, so I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up. But I think if USF initiated the plans for an OCS, that could really signify that USF athletics is serious about growth. This might get us more interest.

Just get the talk and all of that going at the administration level, even start fundraising. How much can all that cost (to get things rolling)? Then, the papers are going pick it up, and then that's going to add another feather in our cap for expansion.