• Days Won:  21

Get us in at whatever cost Harlan!

YO2PM6TX-P.gif

:huh::blink::wacko:

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,354
  • Days Won:  490

Doing some Sunday reading around Boren's comments and it scares me even more.  Speculation is that among the P5 some energy to see a P4 with 16 teams each.  That pits B12 vs. ACC for that 4th super conference.  But Oklahoma could escape that issue by bolting B12 and watching B12 crumble, forcing Texas to another P4 or Indy I suppose.  This excerpt, sums that possibility up:

"Boren knows that only Texas has more pull in the realignment game than he does, and that he could single-handedly turn the Big 12 into a group-of-five conference over night. Perhaps more importantly, all the other university presidents know that too."

Link

Another Boren quote that should be paid attention to:

"There could be some slight loss of revenue from bowl games and other sources, but if the conference carefully selects additional members, based upon their media markets and fan base support, the amount should increase rather than decrease."   Link

If that is a prerequisite, USF fans that remain should settle into AAC exile. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Who out there does fit both criteria?

The Big 12 could very well go the way of the WAC. At the very least, the Big 12 seems to be going down the same road as the Mountain West. The MWC could have made a serious push to become a power conference if it could have held onto BYU, TCU and Utah along with Boise State. The Big 12 over the last five years has watched team after team run off with other Power 5 conferences.

If one more Big 12 team leaves, particularly if it's Texas or Oklahoma, that conference is done as a power conference.

Think that's far-fetched? Boren seems to think that's a possibility.

"How many years can this go on?” Boren asked The Oklahoman. “Finally, it just gets to be really debilitating. I worry about that. That’s something I just worry about long-term about the conference, not short term."

Link

Boren did not push for immediate expansion. "I think it’s something we should strive for while we have the time, stability, all of that to look and be choosy,” Boren said to The Oklahoman. "(We) can be very selective about who we want to add. It would have to add value to the conference. I think we should."     Link

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,278
  • Days Won:  1

I'm getting a feeling if the big 12 goes back to 12, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, and Texas tech will leave the big 12 and the other 8 will be forced to move to the AAC or mw

Some in B12 seem to think they can attract FSU, Clemson and VT from the ACC....that's desperation or delirium.

• Topic Count:  577
  • Content Count:  8,177
  • Days Won:  6

Probably BYU

Maybe a case can be made for Cinci.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Another Boren quote that should be paid attention to:

"There could be some slight loss of revenue from bowl games and other sources, but if the conference carefully selects additional members, based upon their media markets and fan base support, the amount should increase rather than decrease."   Link

If that is a prerequisite, USF fans that remain should settle into AAC exile. 

Students and fans will return if the team can get going again.  

Students show up whenever there is excitement around the  team or the team is doing well. Ditto for our "fanbase".  I think that there are a lot of USF fans left...but let's be honest there hasn't been a lot to cheer about since 2011. However that is changing. Our new AD seems to "get it" ...and if CWT's team can turn the corner on the field this year matched by the recruiting momentum of the last three years then I like our chances to become relevant again.