Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13153927/proposal-deregulate-conference-title-games-advances-ncaa-council

Proposal to deregulate conference title games moves to NCAA Council

A formal proposal for the deregulation of conference championship games, which would allow the Big 12 to have a championship game as early as 2016, was advanced to the NCAA Council this week and is expected to be approved in January, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN.com.

Bowlsby, who is chairman of the Football Oversight Committee, said the legislation will go out for membership comment over the next 60 days. The FBS representatives on the NCAA Council will have the final vote.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby believes deregulation, which would allow conferences to determine their champion however they wish, eventually will be approved. Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports

"It's officially in the system," Bowlsby said. "We haven't encountered any resistance to it at all. It's really deregulation, is allowing conferences to do what they want to determine their champion. In the end, I expect that it will be approved."

Under current NCAA rules, conferences must have 12 members and two divisions to host a league title game. The Big 12, with only 10 teams, is the only Power 5 conference that doesn't have a title game. Football is the only sport that requires a minimum number of conference members to have a title game.

If the NCAA loosens its restrictions, the Big 12 would have the freedom to host a title game in Year 3 of the College Football Playoff.

"That's up to our athletic directors," Bowlsby said. "We've decided not to deal with it until such time as the rules have actually been changed."

The Big 12 has been at the center of postseason discussions in the new era of the College Football Playoff because of how important the Big Ten championship game was to Ohio State's No. 4 ranking (the top four teams make the playoff). In the final College Football Playoff rankings, TCU dropped from No. 3 to No. 6 despite winning its last regular-season game, while Ohio State jumped from No. 5 to No. 4 after winning the Big Ten title game. TCU and No. 5 Baylor finished as Big 12 co-champs.

If deregulation passes as expected, the Big 12 could have a title game without having to add two more teams to the league -- a drastic measure, but not an impossible one given recent expansion history.

Oklahoma president David Boren reignited the discussion Wednesday when he suggested the Big 12 "should strive for" a 12-team league. In spite of Boren's comments, Bowlsby said there is not enough support within the league for expansion right now.

"I certainly would never say never, but I don't think the votes are there at the present time to move from 10," Bowlsby said. "The significant majority of our presidents and chancellors feel that 10 is the right number, but president Boren is an influential guy in our meetings. If he would advocate for it, I'm sure the other presidents and chancellors would listen."

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

The big 12 talking about expanding now is the the worst possible thing that can happen right now. USF is in none of the expansion talks on major sites, with the teams talked about being ucf, byu, cincy, colorado st, houston and memphis

Yes, because the conferences follow every lunatic on twitter for advice.

I don't recall any "chatter" prior to our surprize selection to the Big East.

What?

There was a ton.

And efforts were made in conjuction with the administration to post pro-South Florida (and Tampa) information here in hopes of influencing.

Widely known I thought.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

The big 12 talking about expanding now is the the worst possible thing that can happen right now. USF is in none of the expansion talks on major sites, with the teams talked about being ucf, byu, cincy, colorado st, houston and memphis

Yes, because the conferences follow every lunatic on twitter for advice.

I don't recall any "chatter" prior to our surprize selection to the Big East.

What?

There was a ton.

And efforts were made in conjuction with the administration to post pro-South Florida (and Tampa) information here in hopes of influencing.

Widely known I thought.

I know I wrote several letters to the editor of this fine place

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN 20h20 hours ago

OU’s Boren “pretty much alone†in wanting expansion among Big 12 presidents sources told @ESPN

Well if it comes from the 'Stache, it must be true!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Which would be a problem if the major sites were the decision makers. They're not.

Keep your head buried deep in the sand dude. Real world is passing us by.

So we are apparently divided into two groups ...

Head-in-sand.jpg   and   chicken-little.jpg

I once thought that Sellular was parodying Bull Daly, and doing a decent job, but now I'm starting to backtrack from that.  I think he's definitely on some serious exclamation point-spiked OCS Koolaid.  

He's good ..... I'm not entirely buying it either but you never know .... at some point the bodily fluids form the duck have to have been absorbed and who knows the effects.

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN 20h20 hours ago

OU’s Boren “pretty much alone†in wanting expansion among Big 12 presidents sources told @ESPN

Well if it comes from the 'Stache, it must be true!

That just means it's not going to happen in the next couple of hours ...

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Get us in at whatever cost Harlan!

YO2PM6TX-P.gif

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

YO2PM6TX-P.gif

You're killing it today!

I think he gets it. Didn't he reply when asked at his presser about getting us there, "That's why I'm here!" ...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

I think he gets it. Didn't he reply when asked at his presser about getting us there, "That's why I'm here!" ...

wasn't that skips response about beating the gators? :baghead: