Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

About USF owning Tubs, ironically, one could argue that 2 of our 3 head coaches had the biggest win of their USF career against Tubs. (Skip's was Notre Dame ... with Miami and Clemson not far behind).

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Silly me, I wandered off topic for a moment, and quoted something that I thought was relevant to USF, ie, a quality coach that knows how to win.

USF owns Tubs ....

So you would rather have our history, as is, over his? I'll give up a couple of wins here and there to be consistently in the hunt.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Not sure this is really the correct thread to put this thought into, but with all the realignment that has occurred and now going to the Championship Playoff System or whatever they are calling it, at this point I am all for just making the college football playoff system the same as the NCAA tourney.  Just put the top 48 or 64 teams or whatever the number is.  It would be so much better for attendance in each of the bowl games and the interest in the games would be so much more because every game is actually being played for a reason that is meaningful.

The people who run these conferences and say they want to maintain the integrity of the traditional major bowls are completely full of crap.  Fine make them the quarter final and semi-final venues, but come on, the Rose Bowl was about the Big ten vs Pac Champions. Until today, I hadn't even heard anything mentioned about the Rose Bowl.  Same thing with all the other bowls.  

I wish these morons would just stop pretending things are about tradition and call it like it.  Just let the championship be decided on the field of play from top to bottom week in week out.   

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

48-64 teams would never happen because of the increased games (more injuries) and the regular season would be meaningless, etc... I'd love to see a 16 team playoff, but I think it will max out at 8 teams.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

Ideal would be 16 teams in 8 "access" bowls, 4 of which are an 8 team playoff. The semifinals and championship would not be from existing bowl games but at 3 sites selected through a bid process like the championship game is now. The 8 access bowls would all occur on 12/30 to 1/1 over 3 days. The semis would be a week to 10 days later and the championship on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday night before the super bowl. Maybe even play at the super bowl site.

48-64 teams would never happen because of the increased games (more injuries) and the regular season would be meaningless, etc... I'd love to see a 16 team playoff, but I think it will max out at 8 teams.

The FCS has 24 teams (8 teams get 1st round byes) ... and a total of 5 rounds... The winner will play 16 or 17 total games (if one of the unseeded teams makes it through).

Not sure why it would be such an issue for the FBS when it's not for the FCS...

Also, the regular season would not be meaningless... winning a conference would still be important for at least 5 of the teams... and strength of schedule would be important for the at large slots as well as the seeding of teams.

Not that I am advocating a large field... I think 8 makes the most sense.  5 P5 champions, the top G5 champion or Notre Dame (whichever is higher), and 2 at large from anywhere... or add 4 more at large slots to have a field of 12 with 4 first round byes... (the same as the NFL)

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have not really thought through all the details of exactly how many teams.  I think it actually makes the regular season more important.  At large teams would be similar to wild card teams in the NFL.  Strength of schedule becomes more important.  Rankings become more important for more than just bragging rights for those teams outside of the top 10 or so.  If a team is "a bubble team"  ranked just outside the top 25.  If they are playing a "tournament" spot late in the year. No doubt their level of play is going to be higher than if they are just playing to finish out the year.

I think a true playoff system involving all bowl games makes the lower tier bowl games more interesting to watch for everyone.  I think the bowl cities and bowl games would benefit more because people would be more interested in attending because something is on the line rather than just being an exhibition, practice game for younger players.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,262
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141210-memphis-byu-cincy-proscons-of-schools-floated-for-big-12-expansion.ece

Shows how far we've fallen. Article from Dallas that discusses schools like Colo st. Marshall, SMU, air force and doesn't even mention us. Ucf talked about as a favorite. How embarrassing would it be if they left us in the dust by getting a big 12 invite?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141210-memphis-byu-cincy-proscons-of-schools-floated-for-big-12-expansion.ece

Shows how far we've fallen. Article from Dallas that discusses schools like Colo st. Marshall, SMU, air force and doesn't even mention us. Ucf talked about as a favorite. How embarrassing would it be if they left us in the dust by getting a big 12 invite?

Not sure that we can be embarrassed more than we have already have the last four seasons. 

Thankfully, conferences and university presidents aren't all about "what have you done for me lately."

USF has a more stable football program, a higher athletic budget, a larger television market, better Olympic sports teams... and academically USF beats UCF everywhere except the size of the student body.  (NOTE: UCF has an agreement with their local community colleges - everyone with an AA gets in, no matter what. USF has never had that kind of policy. HCC students are not guaranteed a spot at USF.)

One major difference: USF has a considerably larger endowment.  Why is that important?  It shows two things: one, USF's donors overall have more $$... and USF is a good steward of it's finances.

Finally, USF has far less debt on the books than UCF does.

When looking at all of the intangibles between the two schools, USF edges out UCF...

However, this ultimately comes down to "who do you know."  We got into the Big East because of Tom Jurich... and I think even the small relationship Harlan and Bowlsby have from their Pac 12 days would be enough.