Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,803
  • Days Won:  8

One thing we should all keep in mind is that when it comes to money (conferences and their business), people do not tell the truth. We can hear all kinds of things and it will not mean very much about expansion or no expansion for the Big 12.

Here are the facts:

(1) The Big 12 has the fewest number of teams of any P5 conference.

(2) The Big 12 has no championship game.

(3) The selection committee said not having a championship game mattered in this year's selection.

Now, the Big 12 can sit on their duff or do something about it. Who really knows? I certainly don't believe anything they say until it's official.

My guess? They are going to expand this summer. Unless they plan on having an undefeated team every year, this problem is going to come up again (no championship game & winner).

It may not come up every summer because other years the conference champion of the other conferences may be 2 or 3 losses, or may lose the championship game. It took a perfect storm to leave them out. FSU, Bama, or oregon lose their conference title game or if any of them are a 2 loss team or if FSU was a 1 loss team then the Big 12 would be in the playoff.

I bet they wait at least another playoff cycle before adding teams. I think they are still 2nd in terms of per schoop payout despite being left out of the playoff, and it is because they have only 10 teams.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

One thing we should all keep in mind is that when it comes to money (conferences and their business), people do not tell the truth. We can hear all kinds of things and it will not mean very much about expansion or no expansion for the Big 12.

Here are the facts:

(3) The selection committee said not having a championship game mattered in this year's selection.

Now, the Big 12 can sit on their duff or do something about it. Who really knows? I certainly don't believe anything they say until it's official.

My guess? They are going to expand this summer. Unless they plan on having an undefeated team every year, this problem is going to come up again (no championship game & winner).

You forgot point (4): The Big12 has petitioned the ncaa to allow a conference with 10 teams to have a playoff game. This is believed to be a minor issue that will be approved immediately.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  2

Here are the facts:

You forgot point (4): The Big12 has petitioned the ncaa to allow a conference with 10 teams to have a playoff game. This is believed to be a minor issue that will be approved immediately.

That would be the end of any expansion talk. I also expanding the playoff to 8 teams would keep them from expanding.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ If it's such a minor issue, why have the rule at all?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Here are the facts:

It may not come up every summer because other years the conference champion of the other conferences may be 2 or 3 losses, or may lose the championship game. It took a perfect storm to leave them out. FSU, Bama, or oregon lose their conference title game or if any of them are a 2 loss team or if FSU was a 1 loss team then the Big 12 would be in the playoff.

I bet they wait at least another playoff cycle before adding teams. I think they are still 2nd in terms of per schoop payout despite being left out of the playoff, and it is because they have only 10 teams.

They are at a decided disadvantage without having the opportunity of a 13th game on the schedule. 12-1 looks better than 11-1 no matter how you slice it and 11-2 looks better than 10-2. The Big 12 basically has to hope that their conference champion has less losses than the other P5 conferences. Sometimes they might, but the tie will go to the conferences that play a championship game.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

More importantly, you have to end the year on a high note.  TCU was the best team for 4th place with the best resume but they didn't have a quality opponent at the end, while everyone else did.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I'm sure the B12 have met up with many teams (USF included) for preliminary talks

I'm sure most have kept it secret

I'm pretty sure someone from Cincy leaked their meeting intentionally in order to get more attention.  Remember, they are the school that gave out Christmas cards and practically begged publicly for admittance.  Hasn't worked yet. (Whether or not it will is TBD)

I take it some Cincy fan got their feelings hurt with my post?

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/108844-Realignment-talk-not-going-away/page813

Update from twittersphere...

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago

Informed by my old BigEast(AAC) contact that several CUSA schools have been contacted regarding possible membership. Marshall included.

Jerry Casser â€@RUJerry 9h9 hours ago

@MH ver3 Is that 2 replace potential defectors?

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago

@RUJerry yes

Marc Ostroff â€@agentmdo 9h9 hours ago

@MH ver3 if big12 doesn't expand AAC not expanding for the sake of expansion correct?

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago

@agentmdo correct. They have enough mouths to feed as it is

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 9h 9 hours ago

Also hearing that FOX will help finance new additions(B12)as long as they meet certain criteria and if B12 will extend contract +GOR

B12 will not make any moves until at least April or May.Wants all options available(deregulation) and sufficient time to work tv deals

However the MWC is also a bit nervous about what the future may hold as well and are also developing contingency plans

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago

UT AD still believes the B1G will raid the ACC again destabilizing it giving B12 better options but they seem to be alone in their thinking

Scott â€@dodgerjazzcougs 8h8 hours ago

@MH ver3 none of this sounds good for BYU

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 8h8 hours ago

@dodgerjazzcougs BYU is the only school out there that actually adds value without pulling strings. If we expand I think they are in

Scott â€@dodgerjazzcougs 8h8 hours ago

@MH ver3 I agree on the value just worried that the conference thinks BYU is to far away and more difficult to handle

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 8h8 hours ago

@dodgerjazzcougs I think that adding both Cincy and Memphis is conference suicide. BYU HAS to be one or it all falls apart.

If the B12 added BYU and Memphis and Memphis didn't take a dime but actually paid to join, plus CCG...that's a lot of added value.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 8h 8 hours ago

To get the best increased footprint for tv and get the best 2 programs available I think it would have to be BYU/Cincy

Marc Ostroff â€@agentmdo 8h8 hours ago

@MH ver3 how can u say provo n natti bring larger footprint than tampa/orlando....do you see media market rankings

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 8h8 hours ago

@agentmdo combination of markets and tradition. BYU is a national brand. Ohio is a big state

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 2h 2 hours ago

clarifying from earlier:Marshall was contacted by AAC not Big12! LOL

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 44m 44 minutes ago

B12 has worked quickly to silence people within on anything related to expansion or a CCG.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 43m 43 minutes ago

The fact that the board for the B1G got info on it so quickly was very disturbing. B12 doesn't want anyone to know what's going down

Daniel Freer â€@DWFreer 34m34 minutes ago

@MH ver3 14 member conferences pose scheduling problems...16 member do not...8 team divisions easier to handle. More expansion will happen

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 33m33 minutes ago

@DWFreer some think the B1G wants 20 or more. We shall see.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 43m 43 minutes ago

AT LEAST NOT FROM A PUBLIC REPUTABLE SOURCE. As for a random twitter account...well...

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 40m 40 minutes ago

B12 only ally in deregulation of CCG is ACC. They know the other conferences will try to block this move.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 40m 40 minutes ago

Deregulation is still important even if they do expand because some(UT especially) don't want a divisional split ever.

TigerJay â€@jay_256 38m38 minutes ago

@MH ver3 To hell with what UT wants. They're selfish arrogance is why the Big 12 is in the situation it's in now.

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 37m37 minutes ago

@jay_256 and their giant fanbase is the main thing keeping this conference together. It is what it is

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 36m 36 minutes ago

B12 is going to spew the same old same old until they act.

Matt Reeder â€@OurLucille_2 36m36 minutes ago

@MH ver3 who is to blame for the louisville debacle?

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 35m35 minutes ago

@OurLucille_2 WVU.

Matt Reeder â€@OurLucille_2 34m34 minutes ago

@MH ver3 thought they wanted reasonable travel?

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 33m33 minutes ago

@OurLucille_2 it was us or them. The Ville and Rutgers were next on deck but flirtations with FSU and Clemson ruined that.

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 32m32 minutes ago

@OurLucille_2 and don't get me started on Notre Dame.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 35m 35 minutes ago

I know for certain the AAC is already lining up the dominos to fall in if they have attrition.

Matt Spellacy â€@MSpellacy 32m32 minutes ago

@MH ver3 can you expound on this statement?

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 31m31 minutes ago

@MSpellacy see earlier tweets. My AAC contact is impeccable. I had all the news first when Catholics split and when SDSu and BSU jumped

@MSpellacy if you only knew how close the old BigEast was to being saved by MD, BC, and ND...

Matt Spellacy â€@MSpellacy 30m30 minutes ago

@MH ver3 so if ACC gets raided they have a contingency plan in place, essentially..?

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 30m30 minutes ago

@MSpellacy AAC

Matt Spellacy â€@MSpellacy 16m16 minutes ago

@MH ver3 sorry, misread. UConn hosed again...sigh

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 35m 35 minutes ago

Just like I promise you that the meetings with Cincy and the others happened as well. Lots of back-tracking going on now.

MH ver3 @MH ver3 · 33m 33 minutes ago

Uconn getting hosed the most. Boston College and distance from the south and Midwest killing them

Carmon Wilson â€@Cdub_99 32m32 minutes ago

@MH ver3 Gun to your head. Who are the two team the Big 12 takes today if a decision were to be made today?

@Cdub_99 I still believe Cincy and BYU

Brad Weiss â€@UConnPittDad 33m33 minutes ago

@MH ver3 it's a shame. Top 20 public University. Great sports on a whole.

MH ver3 â€@MH ver3 33m33 minutes ago

@UConnPittDad the only BlueBlood not in a P5

Brad Weiss â€@UConnPittDad 31m31 minutes ago

@MH ver3 makes no sense. Unbelievable football & basketball practice facilities. They would bring NY & NE to Big 12. Lots of TV sets.

MH ver3â€@MH ver3 29m29 minutes ago

@UConnPittDad agreed. But if Pitt had been patient then Uconn, Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse would all be in the B12 now. Imagine the basketball!!

Cliff notes is:

Big 12 waiting to April/May

AAC contacting Marshall

Big 12 possibly looking at ACC members

Be lives Cincy is most likely addition.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Cliff notes is:

Big 12 waiting to April/May

AAC contacting Marshall

Big 12 possibly looking at ACC members

Be lives Cincy is most likely addition.

You forgot the part about how that guy doesn't know ****.