Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Only problem with expanding the playoffs to 8 teams is that that would add potentially 2 more games to the teams playing for the NC, so you go from maxing at 15 games (win a conference champ game then 2 playoff games) to maxing at 17 games potentially....that's an NFL schedule just about....Not sure what students would think of that.

P5 College football is pretty much going the way of a semi pro-league anyway. If the lower level divisions can have 16 teams then I dont see why the upper level cant do the same. 

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Many of the rumors re:B1G also have to do with WVU being on an island by itself and the travel/expense issues it causes. 

I highly doubt they would create an even bigger issue by just getting UCF.

A team farther away than WVU, with less proven fan base/history/TV rating.

People have seen what USF is able to accomplish, and that all teams go in cycles.

Along with all of the additional benefits: the added large market, non-revenue sport group travel, allowing more FB teams to be able to play in Florida yearly, etc.

Fans may be fickle, but the execs look at the bigger picture

The BIG 12 did go on record years ago that they want to have more exposure in the state of Florida. Not sure if they were talking about getting more bowl game in Florida or expanding their footprint. 

• Topic Count:  421
  • Content Count:  9,780
  • Days Won:  8

TCU played only 12 games... all the others played 13.

Ohio St. Should be in after taking Wisconsin to the woodshed.

Tcu, Baylor, sorry, you only played 12 games, the others played 13 and won actual championship games.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Only problem with expanding the playoffs to 8 teams is that that would add potentially 2 more games to the teams playing for the NC, so you go from maxing at 15 games (win a conference champ game then 2 playoff games) to maxing at 17 games potentially....that's an NFL schedule just about....Not sure what students would think of that.

I HIGHLY doubt the students that would have any negatives about it.

They are probably one of the last groups you would need to be worried about.

It as always been a $$$ issue (thinly veiled with "concerns" about "student"-athletes)

The FCS have managed just fine with this setup (and no academic problems with the student-athletes.)

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,275
  • Days Won:  1

Many of the rumors re:B1G also have to do with WVU being on an island by itself and the travel/expense issues it causes. 

People have seen what USF is able to accomplish, and that all teams go in cycles.

Along with all of the additional benefits: the added large market, non-revenue sport group travel, allowing more FB teams to be able to play in Florida yearly, etc.

The BIG 12 did go on record years ago that they want to have more exposure in the state of Florida. Not sure if they were talking about getting more bowl game in Florida or expanding their footprint. 

The Big 12 would expand their footprint its just the question of would they take both USF and UCF or just one. I personally think they would take both for multiple reasons but its up to the Big 12. If i'm harlan and genshaft I'm doing whatever I have to do to get us into any P5 conference no matter what it takes.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

The Big 12 would expand their footprint its just the question of would they take both USF and UCF or just one. I personally think they would take both for multiple reasons but its up to the Big 12. If i'm harlan and genshaft I'm doing whatever I have to do to get us into any P5 conference no matter what it takes.

I have no doubt about their want to expand to Florida

But are they willing to create an even bigger "island" issue than they are already experiencing by only adding UCF?

Adding one makes no logical sense to take one when you have a readily available 2nd, with an already establishing rivalry, in a prime location of where you're trying to establish a presence.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I think you're going to see the big 12 with no teams in the top four. Right now Ohio State is absolutely blowing out Wisconsin and TCU beat a 2-10 team today.

I just do not see how a non-conference champion can get into the playoffs with this set up.

I will be shocked if TCU is not in. They would slap OSU.

OSU has also made a very good case, destroying Wisconsin. I don't think TCU has a win like that. Personally, I'd take the team that had a CCG all other things being equal.

Can't see the frogs dropping two spaces after a 51 point ( or whatever it was) win. Should be interesting tomorrow. In some ways the old BCS system was easier.

51 point win over a crappy team.  OSU had a 59 point win over what was the #2 defense in the nation.  That HAS to move the Buckeyes up, or the system is a sham.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

The Big 12 will want to expand after Ohio State jumps into the top 4. The Big 12 gets punished because it does not have a championship game.

As well it should.  Why does every other conference have to play a quality opponant at the end of the season, and they don't?

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I was watching some of the OU-OSU game and the Big 12 ran a few spots that made a point about a "true champion." It seems like that matters to them, as they don't want to be left out of the playoffs.

I think they will pull the trigger on expansion this summer.

The only question is how will they do it?

Money is the #1 motivator.

Which option brings them more money?

UCF & UCF vs. Cincinnati & Memphis

As much as I dislike our retarded cousins in Orlando, the UCF & USF combo makes wayy more financial sense to the Big 12 than Cincinnati & Memphis. Yeah, you get geographic ease for WVU, but that's about all. You will never get the power of football and the ratings like you will from Florida.

With our new AD, I like our chances to make our case.