Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Big 12 wants to be in FL badly. Whether that's FSU/Miami, or USF/UCF will not stop them from getting in here.

I don't see the Division 64.

I see the every P5 conference being at 14 teams at some point. 70 total programs.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

Hello old thread

Hello-Old-Friend-Eric-Clapton-500x500.jp

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Hello old thread

Nobody in AAC adds value to TV contract right now thus no expansion.  I think we sit still for 5-7 years when the TV contracts get close and the see how the 2+1 Playoffs work.  Ultimately I see us going to Division 64 (4-16s for TV Contracts) team leagues with a 4 (as Conference champ)-2-1 playoff coming.

This means the Big 12 is done - and is broken up with Pac, B1G getting most and WVU headed ACC or SEC.

The question is who is the 64? and thus the 4-6 teams coming along for the ride.

LOL ... You must be one of the 6 following this thread. Wonder who the other 5 are ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Even in this season, USF is further away from climbing into the AAC.

If USF (over other candidates) can show that they are able to bring in marketing dollars...

Then the BIG12 would want us in the conference. We need control over the Tampa Bay market.

The only way that has even a slim chance of happening is for us to be in a P5 ... but if that's the criteria for getting IN to a P5 .... well, you do the math.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Math is for suckers.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,137
  • Days Won:  1

Is anyone utterly nervous?

Why would we be? Our situation can hardly get worse. The only reason to be nervous is if things could get worse.

The B12 commissioner was saying that they don't want to dilute their membership because they're all getting absurd payouts.

Posturing, negotiation tactics, inability to talk about secret meetings taking place. I wouldn't expect a commissioner to ever say they were looking at adding schools although it has happened once or twice.

So what are they going to do if they make a move? I can't see them taking four schools, I just can't. Why would you go from one of the largest P5 payouts to one of the smallest?  The B12 GOR is already in place,

Adding schools lets them renegotiate TV contracts. Who knows? We certainly don't.

So what are they going to do? We're talking four schools here. UC has been a consistent winner, their only issue is that Nippert is not easily expandable to the 60k that the Big 12 would be hoping for (and that can be offset by holding bigger games at Paul Brown). They've built a quality program at this point. ECU? They've been banging on doors for years and have done nothing but win a lot of football games and win the attendance battle. ECU is a large university (26k) with they've consistently sold out their stadium, especially in recent years and have built up quite the fan base. They also have a quite exciting form of football that would tailor well to TV ratings. I don't think we need to say anymore about what UCF has done. What do we have? Great facilities, sure. the Sun Dome is beautiful and Raymond James still works as a big game venue, though perhaps it's not quite as good in promoting the college football experience (and let's not forget-it's not OURs). Our football attendance is down and the jury is currently out on basketball with a new coach. We don't make the Big 12 money unless UCF is nice enough to ask for us to come along with them.

Making any decision on the current state of the football or basketball team on the field is foolhardy. UCF was down two years ago and we were up. Two years from now that could easily be flipped. UCF looks nothing like the team it was a year ago.

Let's get real. If these rumors are true they might reach out to four schools but most likely they will pick two. And the two will be Cincy and UCF. If it's all four I will be stunned.I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the reality right now.

Let's get real. None of us have any idea what they are going to do or why they might do it. This rumor is as good as any.

It's not just winning, it's attendance and the program itself. 

I have a very good friend who is a former USF student body president He won't attend a game unless we're good. Four to six wins a  year are apparently not enough for him. When we were talking about the Wisconsin game last week he told me he doesn't go to or watch USF games because they do exactly what he expects: to lose, and he doesn't want to watch losing. Never mind that we were a 33 point under dog and half our team is freshmen and sophomores. 

Tampa is a fair weather town and they will only show up for a consistent winner. We don't have that benefit.

Good friend but sounds like a poor former student body President. And yes I stand by that without knowing him. Athletics is a huge part of a school. As such, his attitude should be different than that of a fair weather fan. And UCF is already headed backwards. One year doesn't put them ahead of us on the pecking order.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136

Why would we be? Our situation can hardly get worse. The only reason to be nervous is if things could get worse.

The B12 commissioner was saying that they don't want to dilute their membership because they're all getting absurd payouts.

Posturing, negotiation tactics, inability to talk about secret meetings taking place. I wouldn't expect a commissioner to ever say they were looking at adding schools although it has happened once or twice.

So what are they going to do if they make a move? I can't see them taking four schools, I just can't. Why would you go from one of the largest P5 payouts to one of the smallest?  The B12 GOR is already in place,

Adding schools lets them renegotiate TV contracts. Who knows? We certainly don't.

So what are they going to do? We're talking four schools here. UC has been a consistent winner, their only issue is that Nippert is not easily expandable to the 60k that the Big 12 would be hoping for (and that can be offset by holding bigger games at Paul Brown). They've built a quality program at this point. ECU? They've been banging on doors for years and have done nothing but win a lot of football games and win the attendance battle. ECU is a large university (26k) with they've consistently sold out their stadium, especially in recent years and have built up quite the fan base. They also have a quite exciting form of football that would tailor well to TV ratings. I don't think we need to say anymore about what UCF has done. What do we have? Great facilities, sure. the Sun Dome is beautiful and Raymond James still works as a big game venue, though perhaps it's not quite as good in promoting the college football experience (and let's not forget-it's not OURs). Our football attendance is down and the jury is currently out on basketball with a new coach. We don't make the Big 12 money unless UCF is nice enough to ask for us to come along with them.

Making any decision on the current state of the football or basketball team on the field is foolhardy. UCF was down two years ago and we were up. Two years from now that could easily be flipped. UCF looks nothing like the team it was a year ago.

Let's get real. If these rumors are true they might reach out to four schools but most likely they will pick two. And the two will be Cincy and UCF. If it's all four I will be stunned.I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the reality right now.

Let's get real. None of us have any idea what they are going to do or why they might do it. This rumor is as good as any.

It's not just winning, it's attendance and the program itself. 

I have a very good friend who is a former USF student body president He won't attend a game unless we're good. Four to six wins a  year are apparently not enough for him. When we were talking about the Wisconsin game last week he told me he doesn't go to or watch USF games because they do exactly what he expects: to lose, and he doesn't want to watch losing. Never mind that we were a 33 point under dog and half our team is freshmen and sophomores. 

Tampa is a fair weather town and they will only show up for a consistent winner. We don't have that benefit.

Good friend but sounds like a poor former student body President. And yes I stand by that without knowing him. Athletics is a huge part of a school. As such, his attitude should be different than that of a fair weather fan. And UCF is already headed backwards. One year doesn't put them ahead of us on the pecking order.

I see his reasoning. it doesn't tick me off any less. Thing is he was never much of an "athletics" SBP. His big thing was new events, trying to get political recognition from the state and the country, etc. I know a lot of other former SG members who are very much into the USF thing. He's just one of them who isn't. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the reality  your opinion right now.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the reality  your opinion right now.

It's my opinion that we're pulling in 18k a game and the other three schools are doing far better in attendance? Interesting theory.

• Topic Count:  177
  • Content Count:  8,726
  • Days Won:  28

Saw this on a WVU message board and thought it was interesting in light of the latest round of rumors.

Still think there is no basis to anything of this but who knows.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=13224893