Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Oh, and thanks for the link. It still seems to me that you have to sell all your tix to make your money.

Really surprised to see Baylor had trouble selling their allotment, though.

They're in the B12 through state politics, though, and are not indicative of the typical P5 school.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136
  • Days Won:  7

One thing I will say is that the value of a sold out stadium is highly underrated. You sell it out and you have market power. 

I heard somewhere that we had $1.3M in ticket sales for the 2007 USF-WVU game. That's never going to be as much as some of the power conferences, but for a ten year old program, that sort of ticket sales were huge. 

Now let's pretend that we average 40k a game (given our home schedule over the next several years, it's possible to do that, even if it's not the strongest in the world). If you assume that, we could get 550k or so per game in ticket sales. That's an extra 3.3M a year. For a cash strapped program like ours, that level of contributions would be huge. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

My final point. True or false. Financially...

Starting in 2014, big 5 conference schools, from the Texases to the Iowa States are in a better position financially today, than they were last year.

Starting in 2014, USF is in a worse position financially today, than we were last year.

The numbers say yes. And that was my original point before you starting throwing other factors in.

The end.

what you don't seem to understand is that those schools have always had a financial advantage over us

even the schools that left our own conference had a financial advantage over us.

we will still rank around the same spot revenue wise as we did previously.

we are no better or worse off when compared to our peers as far as our rank.

the amount of the difference really doesn't matter. sure they can niow pay their ADs even more ridiculous amounts. even their coaches. now saban can get $15M per year. it doesn't really matter though because we were never competing with them financially anyway.

them bringing in more money would only matter if we played in a non salary cap free agent market league where we would have to outbid them for free agent players every year.

you see the players don't get paid (and even if they go to a stipend we will be able to afford to pay it) market rates. so it doesn't matter if they have $120M more (current Texas difference) or $150M more. if players got paid a percentage of revenue then yes I would agree but they don't.

we will rank revenue wise right around where we currently sit.

you may care about the money an athletic department brings in because it directly affects the amount you make but as far as competing on the field we will be no worse off than we are now and that's all fans should care about.

Edited by Bull94

Starting in 2014, big 5 conference schools, from the Texases to the Iowa States are in a better position financially today, than they were last year.

Starting in 2014, USF is in a worse position financially today, than we were last year.

The numbers say yes. And that was my original point before you starting throwing other factors in.

The end.

Very true.

122 of 125 schools came out better in realignment

THREE came out worse. USF, UCONN, and Cincinnati

Who can we sue? It's the American Way.

old big east tv payout was $3.7M for football schools. new payout is $1.8M per school

old big est payout was higher for basketball than it was for football.

we still got a fat payout for the split.

I bet total revenue difference is less than 5% not including the fat payout. we can make that up easily with athletic fees

There are 2 current P5 memebrs that rank below us in revenue according to usa today.

assuming that's true then those are the only 2 that will gain any advantage over us as far as this additional revenue is concerned.

those 2 are washington state and utah.

we don't compete with them for players and I don't see us ever competing with them for coaches.

this entire notion that we will be far worse off is ridiculous.

BTW the only way any additional revenue would hurt us is if colleges paid players market rates.

that would allow them to increase their payroll.

that won't be happening anytime soon.

if they go to stipends then we will easily be able to pay the same amount.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I don't see many Colorado or Kansas advertisements... Or Utah? Purdue (rarely?) I never see much of Iowa State. 

Wasn't referring to ads FOR or BY the schools. Was referring to corporate ads sold during the schools' broadcasts.

Half the time, our ESPN3 games have either ESPN ads or dead air during broadcasts. This means no advertisers are interested in reaching our fanbase

Which means, the P5 conferences aren't either. Most of their replays have more and better ads than our live games.

Until we have the consistent eyeballs to pull in advertisers for our games, we will be relegated to the minors.

That I did not know. Having never watched any games besides USF on the Tres I assumed that dead air was the same for everybody, just covering the on air commercial space ...

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136
  • Days Won:  7

The end.

Very true.

old big east tv payout was $3.7M for football schools. new payout is $1.8M per school

I bet total revenue difference is less than 5% not including the fat payout. we can make that up easily with athletic fees

One hand you want to get out of the whole money game. On the flip side you want to charge the students more in fees. Make up your mind.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

All this is pretty interesting but you are forgetting one thing. USF will do what it takes to be included too!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The end.

Very true.

One hand you want to get out of the whole money game. On the flip side you want to charge the students more in fees. Make up your mind.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny, too.

I don't think he's really advocating it, though. Knowing 94, it's more likely to be just in the realm of stating possibilities.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Until USF says it's going in a different direction (I.E. DII or some alternative to that) we are still in this... and yes, our Bowl Games and TV revenue SUCK!!, but if... and I mean IF... we schedule aggressively and actually improve dramatically, we will have a chance to be in BIG BOY football. It will be harder, and far more challenges lie in front of us (some yet unseen) BUT... we have a chance to make it...

p.s. I was once an apocalyptic poster, who thought all was lost... but i have seen the light, (it's dime as heck) but i have come to the realization it ain't over yet...