Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

we were never on their level financially. nothing has changed there.

Yes, but without BCS money and a TV contract that pays us $7 mil a year, we're further back, right?

does iowa state have a better chance competing? no the bottom 2/3rds of the P5 is trash. they aren't any better off than we are just because they are in. sure they may have a few extra dollars but they are no better off.

When did I say we won't compete? This all started over revenue. We can still compete and win games, maybe even make the playoff.

please don't site bowl payoffs. they are way exaggerated. didn't FSU just lose close the $1M playing for national championship? sure they can pay you $40M when you have to guarantee 400 rooms for 7 nights at $300 per night and 15,000 tickets at $200 per. etc etc.

$40mil > $17mil right? New bowl revenue was set at that to prevent those issues. They also cut down ticket allotments, etc.

You got a link for that? I was under the impression that the $40 was just more of the same from the $17. That it's primarily in kind, and the school have to sell out the guarantees - at full price - to see any of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2014/01/05/bowl-ticket-requirement-college-football-playoff-bcs/4331253/

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

what do you mean by commanding lead? what does all this money allow them to do which they haven't already been doing?

pay their coaches more? oh wait they already do that. pay their ADs more? yep. charter nicer planes? check. build nicer facilities? already do it.

Stipends, long term health care...those things the NCAA is going allow those 5 conferences to do.

how many scholarships do they have to offer? now how many scholarships did they have to offer before? the exact same amount. they aren't going to get anymore of the top players than they already do.

they have always had an advantage over us. BTW we can offer stipends as well and healthcare too. nobody is saying we can't.

True, we can DO it, but can we AFFORD to do it?

yes we can. if we can afford to pay coaches and ADs millions of dollars than we can afford to pay stipends and healthcare.

what do you mean by commanding lead? what does all this money allow them to do which they haven't already been doing?

pay their coaches more? oh wait they already do that. pay their ADs more? yep. charter nicer planes? check. build nicer facilities? already do it.

Stipends, long term health care...those things the NCAA is going allow those 5 conferences to do.

how many scholarships do they have to offer? now how many scholarships did they have to offer before? the exact same amount. they aren't going to get anymore of the top players than they already do.

they have always had an advantage over us. BTW we can offer stipends as well and healthcare too. nobody is saying we can't.

I hope we do.

It will probably be a conference wide decision, that will come down to ability to pay. My point in all that before you started saying I was crapping on USF and not the realistic numbers and throwing out arguments that were off point, will we have the ability to pay. The new BCS, TV contracts have given all the top 5 conferences plenty of money to work with.

we were never on their level financially. nothing has changed there.

Yes, but without BCS money and a TV contract that pays us $7 mil a year, we're further back, right?

does iowa state have a better chance competing? no the bottom 2/3rds of the P5 is trash. they aren't any better off than we are just because they are in. sure they may have a few extra dollars but they are no better off.

When did I say we won't compete? This all started over revenue. We can still compete and win games, maybe even make the playoff.

please don't site bowl payoffs. they are way exaggerated. didn't FSU just lose close the $1M playing for national championship? sure they can pay you $40M when you have to guarantee 400 rooms for 7 nights at $300 per night and 15,000 tickets at $200 per. etc etc.

$40mil > $17mil right? New bowl revenue was set at that to prevent those issues. They also cut down ticket allotments, etc.

You got a link for that? I was under the impression that the $40 was just more of the same from the $17. That it's primarily in kind, and the school have to sell out the guarantees - at full price - to see any of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2014/01/05/bowl-ticket-requirement-college-football-playoff-bcs/4331253/

it says they are still required to by tickets. they are also required to stay in participating cities for an extended time. this mythical payout is extremely exaggerated. not to mention it's split 12 ways. it comes to less than $2M per team even at your exaggerated $40M after expenses.

I hope we do.

It will probably be a conference wide decision, that will come down to ability to pay. My point in all that before you started saying I was crapping on USF and not the realistic numbers and throwing out arguments that were off point, will we have the ability to pay. The new BCS, TV contracts have given all the top 5 conferences plenty of money to work with.

they always had more money to work with. I don't get all the chicken littles. the sky isn't falling. we are still in the 6th best conference. we are still financially ranked 6th best. we were before and we are after. oh and we will still get the same level of recruits as a conference and coaches. there are only so many shcolarships and coaching positions to fill.

we were never one of the Big Boys.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We should build an OCS.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

:popcorn: Edited by Skingraft

My final point. True or false. Financially...

Starting in 2014, big 5 conference schools, from the Texases to the Iowa States are in a better position financially today, than they were last year.

Starting in 2014, USF is in a worse position financially today, than we were last year.

The numbers say yes. And that was my original point before you starting throwing other factors in.

The end.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

ESPN's @schadjoe on @CFBLive predicts #USF will be program to gain entry in #CollegeFootballPlayoff in coming years. Replay 9:30 am ESPNU

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

My final point. True or false. Financially...

Starting in 2014, big 5 conference schools, from the Texases to the Iowa States are in a better position financially today, than they were last year.

Starting in 2014, USF is in a worse position financially today, than we were last year.

The numbers say yes. And that was my original point before you starting throwing other factors in.

The end.

Very true.

122 of 125 schools came out better in realignment

THREE came out worse. USF, UCONN, and Cincinnati

Who can we sue? It's the American Way.