Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We'll see about that. Our revenues will be roughly 1/10th the big boys.

Commissioners spin data (lie) to put their conf in the best light

Revenue amounts have been exaggerated or minimized to meet an agenda or preconceived notion. I know this for a fact.

Tv money is only one share of revenue. (AAC actually makes more per school in tournament credit money than some so called power conferences)

Terms are bandied about to create an agenda by so called power players to prop some up and keep others down. Media spins this also.

Many so called power programs total revenues are no where near 10 times usf. Quit listening to certain so called power people and media advocates. They lie/spin to meet an agenda.

There's little difference between usf and lower tier so called power 5 programs but you've been programmed to believe there is and you bought it hook line and sinker.

1/10th was what we call an exaggeration. But you're wrong. Very wrong. The power 5 have effectively separated themselves so much.

Between TV money, large annual guaranteed bowl payouts, stadiums packed with 60,000+ fans, and merchandising deals those conferences will start to take a commanding lead on where we were just last season.

For example, the SEC's new TV deal is projected to pull around $30 mil a year. We're at a little less than $3 mil.

The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are paying out $40 mil to each conference for playing in their games. Our best bowl, Birmingham, is paying us 1.2 mil. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2012/12/11/college-football-bcs-playoff-revenue-money-distribution-payouts/1762709/)

And to claim basketball tourney revenue? That's minimal at best. A couple mil per year per conference as the NCAA controls most of that revenue (unlike football).

USF has to get in a top 5 league...and no, I'm not blaming the powers that be.

we were never on their level financially. nothing has changed there.

does iowa state have a better chance competing? no the bottom 2/3rds of the P5 is trash. they aren't any better off than we are just because they are in. sure they may have a few extra dollars but they are no better off.

please don't site bowl payoffs. they are way exaggerated. didn't FSU just lose close the $1M playing for national championship? sure they can pay you $40M when you have to guarantee 400 rooms for 7 nights at $300 per night and 15,000 tickets at $200 per. etc etc.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Revenue amounts have been exaggerated or minimized to meet an agenda or preconceived notion. I know this for a fact.

Tv money is only one share of revenue. (AAC actually makes more per school in tournament credit money than some so called power conferences)

Terms are bandied about to create an agenda by so called power players to prop some up and keep others down. Media spins this also.

Many so called power programs total revenues are no where near 10 times usf. Quit listening to certain so called power people and media advocates. They lie/spin to meet an agenda.

There's little difference between usf and lower tier so called power 5 programs but you've been programmed to believe there is and you bought it hook line and sinker.

Interesting POV. Can you cite any data which supports it? Would love to research.

the #1 program in the country for athletic expenses is Texas. they spend $138M. USF spends $43M. revenues are less than 4 times at $163M and $43M.

anybody who thinks we would be on Texas' level even if we were in the P5 is insane. and anybody who thinks the only thing holding us back from competing at the their level is inclusion is also insane. we will always be a mid tier (50-75) program whether we are in or out. both financially and competively.

Personally I'm tired off all the corruption and money grubbing of "big time" college football. let the schools who prioritize athletics over academics have their semi-pro leagues. I'd rather drop back to a lower division and get back to the simpler times

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Citing any past revenues is kind of pointless as the new Playoff contract pays a lot more than previous contracts.

Also, we had a lot better TV deal AND that annual BCS payout last year. Outside of the fees of those who have slated we don't have a lot of the revenue we had last year.

Yes, I exaggerated 1/10, and I was just trying to be extreme and cute. USF isn't going to wither and die, the powers that be are committed to building an amazing program and have shown ghat. We can still make a big bowl. This season we're starting down two laps, anyone who denies that future is throwing their head in the sand...

1/10th was what we call an exaggeration. But you're wrong. Very wrong. The power 5 have effectively separated themselves so much.

Between TV money, large annual guaranteed bowl payouts, stadiums packed with 60,000+ fans, and merchandising deals those conferences will start to take a commanding lead on where we were just last season.

For example, the SEC's new TV deal is projected to pull around $30 mil a year. We're at a little less than $3 mil.

The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are paying out $40 mil to each conference for playing in their games. Our best bowl, Birmingham, is paying us 1.2 mil. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2012/12/11/college-football-bcs-playoff-revenue-money-distribution-payouts/1762709/)

And to claim basketball tourney revenue? That's minimal at best. A couple mil per year per conference as the NCAA controls most of that revenue (unlike football).

USF has to get in a top 5 league...and no, I'm not blaming the powers that be.

what do you mean by commanding lead? what does all this money allow them to do which they haven't already been doing?

pay their coaches more? oh wait they already do that. pay their ADs more? yep. charter nicer planes? check. build nicer facilities? already do it.

there are only so many scholarship opportunities and the top 20 programs will always get the top players whether or not we are in.

Yes, but without BCS money and a TV contract that pays us $7 mil a year, we're further back, right?

does iowa state have a better chance competing? no the bottom 2/3rds of the P5 is trash. they aren't any better off than we are just because they are in. sure they may have a few extra dollars but they are no better off.

When did I say we won't compete? This all started over revenue. We can still compete and win games, maybe even make the playoff.

please don't site bowl payoffs. they are way exaggerated. didn't FSU just lose close the $1M playing for national championship? sure they can pay you $40M when you have to guarantee 400 rooms for 7 nights at $300 per night and 15,000 tickets at $200 per. etc etc.

$40mil > $17mil right? New bowl revenue was set at that to prevent those issues. They also cut down ticket allotments, etc.

what do you mean by commanding lead? what does all this money allow them to do which they haven't already been doing?

pay their coaches more? oh wait they already do that. pay their ADs more? yep. charter nicer planes? check. build nicer facilities? already do it.

Stipends, long term health care...those things the NCAA is going allow those 5 conferences to do.

Interesting POV. Can you cite any data which supports it? Would love to research.
Joe exaggerates any negative about USF.

the #1 program in the country for athletic expenses is Texas. they spend $138M. USF spends $43M. revenues are less than 4 times at $163M and $43M.

anybody who thinks we would be on Texas' level even if we were in the P5 is insane. and anybody who thinks the only thing holding us back from competing at the their level is inclusion is also insane. we will always be a mid tier (50-75) program whether we are in or out. both financially and competively.

Personally I'm tired off all the corruption and money grubbing of "big time" college football. let the schools who prioritize athletics over academics have their semi-pro leagues. I'd rather drop back to a lower division and get back to the simpler times

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Citing any past revenues is kind of pointless as the new Playoff contract pays a lot more than previous contracts.

Also, we had a lot better TV deal AND that annual BCS payout last year. Outside of the fees of those who have slated we don't have a lot of the revenue we had last year.

Yes, I exaggerated 1/10, and I was just trying to be extreme and cute. USF isn't going to wither and die, the powers that be are committed to building an amazing program and have shown ghat. We can still make a big bowl. This season we're starting down two laps, anyone who denies that future is throwing their head in the sand...

the people that have their heads in the sand are the ones who thought we were on their level to begin with.we have never been on the same level as those schools financially. not even close.

they have always had bigger crowds, better tv revenue, better bowl payouts, more merchandise sales. nothing has changed.

our annual BCS cut was $1M. not earth shattering. we were in the 6th best football conference both competitively and financially and guess what we are still in the 6th best football conference both athletically and financially.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I don't see many Colorado or Kansas advertisements... Or Utah? Purdue (rarely?) I never see much of Iowa State. 

Wasn't referring to ads FOR or BY the schools. Was referring to corporate ads sold during the schools' broadcasts.

Half the time, our ESPN3 games have either ESPN ads or dead air during broadcasts. This means no advertisers are interested in reaching our fanbase

Which means, the P5 conferences aren't either. Most of their replays have more and better ads than our live games.

Until we have the consistent eyeballs to pull in advertisers for our games, we will be relegated to the minors.

• Upvote 1

Stipends, long term health care...those things the NCAA is going allow those 5 conferences to do.

how many scholarships do they have to offer? now how many scholarships did they have to offer before? the exact same amount. they aren't going to get anymore of the top players than they already do.

they have always had an advantage over us. BTW we can offer stipends as well and healthcare too. nobody is saying we can't.

Yes, but without BCS money and a TV contract that pays us $7 mil a year, we're further back, right?

When did I say we won't compete? This all started over revenue. We can still compete and win games, maybe even make the playoff.

$40mil > $17mil right? New bowl revenue was set at that to prevent those issues. They also cut down ticket allotments, etc.

You got a link for that? I was under the impression that the $40 was just more of the same from the $17. That it's primarily in kind, and the school have to sell out the guarantees - at full price - to see any of it.

how many scholarships do they have to offer? now how many scholarships did they have to offer before? the exact same amount. they aren't going to get anymore of the top players than they already do.

they have always had an advantage over us. BTW we can offer stipends as well and healthcare too. nobody is saying we can't.

True, we can DO it, but can we AFFORD to do it?