Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

The other conference can be miffed all they want by the Big 12.

The Big 12 teams play every team within their league and there should be some credit given to that.

This isn't about "should be". This is about reality, and it is a risk for the best team in your conference to play an additional game against a quality opponent. The other four conferences are taking that risk, they will ensure that the B12 does as well. Why would they want the Big 12 to have an easier path to the playoffs?

Not just that. But to use an example. Say FSU and Oregon go thru undefeated. Alabama is undefeated and loses to a 1 loss SEC opponent that was #5 prior to the win behind #4 Baylor. You think idle Baylor still goes over the 2 one loss SEC teams?

I'm not so sure.

What if Bama loses 36-10?

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

The other conference can be miffed all they want by the Big 12.

The Big 12 teams play every team within their league and there should be some credit given to that.

This isn't about "should be". This is about reality, and it is a risk for the best team in your conference to play an additional game against a quality opponent. The other four conferences are taking that risk, they will ensure that the B12 does as well. Why would they want the Big 12 to have an easier path to the playoffs?
Not just that. But to use an example. Say FSU and Oregon go thru undefeated. Alabama is undefeated and loses to a 1 loss SEC opponent that was #5 prior to the win behind #4 Baylor. You think idle Baylor still goes over the 2 one loss SEC teams?

I'm not so sure.

What if Bama loses 36-10?

As I typed it I thought it was dumb because too many variables. That is one.

But my point, not only is it a disadvantage to avoid a quality opponent. But it also can hurt by being idle and passed up by other opponents.

Example probably works best if all 5 teams had 1 loss.

The Dude of WV on WVU

The Dude abides. Truth seeker, philosopher, sPitt hater, and Mountaineer fan.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Expansion Update

None of what you are hearing on Twitter about Texas or the Big 12 expanding is true. Some of what you are reading has at least a partial basis in fact, but most of the chatter is just recycled rumors recited over and over again until they take on a life of their own.

In early October the Big 12 thought it might be forced to expand in order to have a conference championship game. Their expansion committee reviewed financials submitted by Cincinnati, UCF, USF and UCONN.

Fox and ESPN were part of the appraisal and they decided that none of the candidates offered enough value for consideration without impetus from the playoff committee.

That's not an insult to the programs mentioned. None of them having been playing FBS football for that long and none of them have the track record of success the Big 12's unique requirements demand - at least not now.

The Big 12 decided to table the idea of expansion until they know, for certain, the exact formula the playoff committee will use. They have been told their lack of a conference championship game will not hurt them, but until the exact formula is revealed they can't be sure. They should know sometime over the summer.

Why wait? Isn't money the motivation for everything expansion related?

If the Big XII expands with any AAC school they take a pay cut and none of the Big 12 schools are willing to see their revenues reduced unless they have no other choice.

Again that's not a slight to Cincinnati, UCF or USF. That's the reality of the last ten years of television ratings for each school.

I understand the huge demographic market area of Ohio and Florida. I covet the deep recruiting base of both states for the Big XII but the conference doesn't need untapped television markets.

They don't have a conference-wide network to monetize additions for market share alone. They can't justify expansion with carriage or affiliation fees. They need big time programs with a history of winning. They need marquee match-ups for primetime that generate Nielsen ratings to justify advertising dollars.

Here's the problem for the expansion candidates: without using market size as a factor the value of school's football program is hard to quantify. TV ratings, merchandising, licensing, ticket sales, win-loss percentage and bowl performance become even more important and those factors are quantified over decades not years.

Expansion for the Big XII is only justified if programs with a national reputation that appeal to national television audiences are added. They need name recognition in a program, not demographics, and none of the available candidates has the cachet necessary to punch their ticket into the Big XII.

At least none that are on the East coast. BYU fits the bill on most counts in terms of program prestige, but the Cougars are reluctant to give up their own deal with ESPN especially when it means they can keep Sundays sacred.

The other candidates are all deserving programs but none pass the Big XII's litmus test.

Add BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, UCONN or Boise State and the revenues go down and that's a deal-breaker right now for the Big XII.

Expansion is a dead issue… unless the playoff committee decides a conference championship game is weighted in the formula used to select playoff teams. If that happens the Big XII would expand to at least 12 by adding Cincinnati and BYU or UCF.

How likely is that scenario? Not very, according to those in the Big XII. They have been told they will not be penalized for their lack of a championship game.

Is all hope lost  for Cincinnati, UCF, USF, UCONN and BYU? No. The exact formula the playoff committee will use hasn't been finalized.  If a weighted conference championship game makes it into the formula the Big 12 will move quickly to get to 12.

Remember the review the Big XII did of candidates back in early October I mentioned earlier? A lot of the rumors floating around Twitter and message boards come from those evaluations. People hear that a few schools submitted paperwork and jump to conclusions.

Here's a confession: back when WVU submitted paperwork to the SEC I jumped to conclusions too. I assumed that a school wouldn't submit financial documents to conference unless it had been accepted. 

I didn't have a full understanding of the process then but I know now the submission of financials is just the first step.

The process is officially called "due diligence" and it's not a rubber-stamp. Factors are included in the submissions like budgets for individual sports and projects on facilities upgrades and such. They also contain information like ticket sales, merchandizing and contributions that are vitally important to the appraisal.

These documents are complex and many people within the schools are needed to compile all the information that's needed. The people who help assemble the packets obviously know what they are for and human nature takes over.

The problem is they only know about the submission.

The fact is that when a school is told no or "not now" it's kept very quiet. In many cases only the president and athletic director know the outcome.  And the people who helped prepare the documents -- all they know is their school applied to the Big 12 and everyone knows you don't apply unless you know you will be accepted. So they naturally jump to the conclusion that submission means acceptance and that's how rumors are born. 

The other factor is the real unhappiness at Texas. There is a small, but very vocal faction, of Texas boosters who are jealous of the publicity that Texas A&M is receiving. They blame the Big 12 for the Longhorn's recent woes. Fortunately there are those at Texas who understand the real problem is an aging coach who has lost touch with the kids he must recruit.

Yes Texas had discussions with the Big Ten earlier this season. Both evaluated the grant of rights and decided it could not be circumvented and ended their discussions. 

I'm aware of the rumors that Big Ten lawyers think they have found an out for Texas. The Big Ten may have identified a weakness in the Big 12's grant of rights. That's unlikely. The grant of rights signed individually by all ten members of the conference is a simple legal instrument that relies on case law for its weight.

The very nature of its simplicity leads to divergent theories on circumventing it, but the undeniable fact is the any legal battle over the grant of rights is almost certain to take longer than 12 years.

The other certainty over any potential legal battle: the court would enforce the rights holder's claim until complete adjudication.

The risk is just too high for the Big Ten. They could challenge the grant of rights, incur huge legal fees and lose and all the while the Big 12 would retain the rights to broadcast Texas sports and the money derived  from those rights. 

The Big 12 would not settle. Six current members would be fighting for their conference and their seat at the table. They would not disband for the same reason.  Jim Delany knows it would be a fight to the death.

The other rumor about the Big Ten: the one that says the Delany is still watching the outcome of the Maryland suit very closely - keep on eye on that one. I haven't been able to verify it yet but on the surface that one has teeth.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

What if Saban went to TU?

What if ND gets left out of the playoffs because they don't play in a conf championship game?

• Topic Count:  2,697
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

What does it all mean?

:icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

What if ND gets left out of the playoffs because they don't play in a conf championship game?

Then they join the B1G or the ACC

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

"What if the No. 1 team, the No. 7 team, the No. 11 team and the No. 17 team happened to be conference champions?" Saban asked. "You are not really getting the top four teams. I think what the fans want -- and they've said it loud and clear -- is they want to see the best teams play in some kind of playoff.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/alabama_coach_nick_saban_talks_1.html

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

As soon as the playoffs move to 8 the window closes even more for USF.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

"What if the No. 1 team, the No. 7 team, the No. 11 team and the No. 17 team happened to be conference champions?" Saban asked. "You are not really getting the top four teams. I think what the fans want -- and they've said it loud and clear -- is they want to see the best teams play in some kind of playoff.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/alabama_coach_nick_saban_talks_1.html

No what I want are the 4 highest rated conference champs. PLEASE Nick Satan do no tell me what I want