Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

Mack Brown has done so little with what he has at Texas.  They consistently have the best of facilities, support money, and recruits, but they have been pretty mediocre or even less over the last 5 years or so.  

I don't like Saban, but the man can coach and if he did go to Texas that would be very interesting.

I hope we end up somewhere where we will have the opportunity to win a national championship.  I am hoping that coach Willie T will bring it to us.

Go Bulls!

Say what you want about Mack Brown doing litte, the man won a national championship and then went to another despite losing 3 years ago. Yes his teams should be more competitive the last few seasons, but to say he has done "so little" is an understatement. I agree that maybe it's time for a change there, but has won more than many coaches that have ever coached and still are coaching.

Edited by bulls phanatic

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,382
  • Days Won:  8

Formula? What formula? It's a committee picking participating teams out.

If you think an 11-1 Texas or Oklahoma or even Oklahoma State would be left out of the discussion or playoff merely because try didn't play in a conference championship game, you're nuts.

I don't know what the Big 12 plans to do. They will probably eventually expand, but that decision will be based solely on money, and what makes them the most, not because of this new playoff.

Well having a better shot to get to the National Championship IS about money. Winning NCs creates revenue. It will factor in their decisions.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Mack Brown has done so little with what he has at Texas.  They consistently have the best of facilities, support money, and recruits, but they have been pretty mediocre or even less over the last 5 years or so.  

I don't like Saban, but the man can coach and if he did go to Texas that would be very interesting.

I hope we end up somewhere where we will have the opportunity to win a national championship.  I am hoping that coach Willie T will bring it to us.

Go Bulls!

Say what you want about Mack Brown doing litte, the man won a national championship and then went to another despite losing 3 years ago. Yes his teams should be more competitive the last few seasons, but to say he has done "so little" is an understatement. I agree that maybe it's time for a change there, but has won more than many coaches that have ever coached and still are coaching.

bulls phanatic, it's the same mentality that someone else posted, let Saban lose two games in a season and watch the wheels fall off.

What have you done for me lately?

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

thank you

Sorry for the snark. Nothing definitive.

ha, not snark IMO

after 260 pages I cannot imagine there is much use of this thread

twas more of a joke inquiry than anything

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

If you think an 11-1 Texas or Oklahoma or even Oklahoma State would be left out of the discussion or playoff merely because try didn't play in a conference championship game, you're nuts.

I don't know what the Big 12 plans to do. They will probably eventually expand, but that decision will be based solely on money, and what makes them the most, not because of this new playoff.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/04/college-football-playoff-selection-committee-members-set-archie-manning-condi-rice/2924187/

Gone after this season is the BCS' formula, but the criteria by which the selection committee will make its decision – and the tools it might use as aids – remain fluid. The factors the committee is expected to be charged with weighing include: head-to-head competition, comparable opponents, conference championships and how key injuries might have affected a team's performance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131016/college-football-playoff-selection-committee/

Remember the hubbub last year over whether the four-team playoff field should be limited solely to teams that win their conference? The commissioners ultimately nixed that idea, but came up with a list of five principles the committee will use to "distinguish among otherwise comparable teams." That list includes conference championships, strength of schedule, head-to-head competition, comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory) and "other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team's performance during the season or likely would affect its postseason performance."

---

Each P5 conference will have at least 1 AD present in the committee.  I would almost bet a lot of money that the other conferences will NOT give the B12 a free ride to the playoffs  ...which includes the additional TV time, $$$, and reputation (including the chance of winning it all.)

They made sure to also include that teams who didn't win the conference can be voted in.  Provides lots of leverage against the B12.

I think that's mainly there becuase of lobbying by the self proclaimed God's gift to college football, SEC ... and it's total bull****. If you've only got 4 teams playing for the MNC, you don't exclude the champions of 2 of the top 5 conferences, no matter how they became champion.

I have been joking that once it goes to 4 (and maybe later 6 or 8?) teams that ESECPN will lobby for an all SEC final 4 (or 6 or 8).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/04/college-football-playoff-selection-committee-members-set-archie-manning-condi-rice/2924187/

Gone after this season is the BCS' formula, but the criteria by which the selection committee will make its decision – and the tools it might use as aids – remain fluid. The factors the committee is expected to be charged with weighing include: head-to-head competition, comparable opponents, conference championships and how key injuries might have affected a team's performance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131016/college-football-playoff-selection-committee/

Remember the hubbub last year over whether the four-team playoff field should be limited solely to teams that win their conference? The commissioners ultimately nixed that idea, but came up with a list of five principles the committee will use to "distinguish among otherwise comparable teams." That list includes conference championships, strength of schedule, head-to-head competition, comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory) and "other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team's performance during the season or likely would affect its postseason performance."

---

Each P5 conference will have at least 1 AD present in the committee.  I would almost bet a lot of money that the other conferences will NOT give the B12 a free ride to the playoffs  ...which includes the additional TV time, $$$, and reputation (including the chance of winning it all.)

They made sure to also include that teams who didn't win the conference can be voted in.  Provides lots of leverage against the B12.

I think that's mainly there becuase of lobbying by the self proclaimed God's gift to college football, SEC ... and it's total bull****. If you've only got 4 teams playing for the MNC, you don't exclude the champions of 2 of the top 5 conferences, no matter how they became champion.

I have been joking that once it goes to 4 (and maybe later 6 or 8?) teams that ESECPN will lobby for an all SEC final 4 (or 6 or 8).

I wish it was a joke ...

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

USF, Cincy, and UCONN still need to collect all that money from exit and entrance fees before all this conference realignment happens again. Let's hope nothing happens for another 5 years or so. By that time, we will escape with all the MONEY!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

USF, Cincy, and UCONN still need to collect all that money from exit and entrance fees before all this conference realignment happens again. Let's hope nothing happens for another 5 years or so. By that time, we will escape with all the MONEY!!!!! 

If we can leave for the Big 12 tomorrow, they can keep the money.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Exactly. We'd be in a lot more money if we left and took a half payout for 5 years from big12

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Exactly. We'd be in a lot more money if we left and took a half payout for 5 years from big12

Lets be honest there. I dont think anything will happen anytime soon. I would think the earliest that moves will be heard are after 2016 as we get closer to GOR and new TV negotiations. Also, it will take a few years of the BIG 12 getting shut out of the playoff for not have a CCG before they react. If you have learned anything from the BIG 12 is that they have made moves by being reactive not proactive. They brought in TCU after Texas A&M let to get to 10. They are so much of Texas' ***** that they cant be proactive towards bringing in new members. They love to splite their money 10 ways instead of 12. They will say they love their round robin format to appease everyone but in reality is that they want more money. If a network advised them they they will get more per team if they added 2 more then they might consider it. Untill all that happens, we all better enjoy the AAC and collect the exit and entrance fees.