Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574
  • Days Won:  0

The Big 12 has schools located in some impossible to get to places. Road trip to Manhattan, Kansas anyone?

Beggers can't be choosers, if I had a choice with all things being equal, I would rather stay in a conf. that is BE/ACC mix assuming at least some decent schools remain.

I am just ready for all this mess to be over with. Lets find out where we are going to end up and move on.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

The Big 12 has schools located in some impossible to get to places. Road trip to Manhattan, Kansas anyone?

Beggers can't be choosers, if I had a choice with all things being equal, I would rather stay in a conf. that is BE/ACC mix assuming at least some decent schools remain.

I am just ready for all this mess to be over with. Lets find out where we are going to end up and move on.

My brother lives in Manhattan and I will be going to that away game next year, it's bigger and easier to get to on a chartered flight than Morgantown, because Morgantown normally for football means you fly into Pittsburgh and drive 90 miles south. Now for fans Mahattan has about a 2 hour dive from the nearest large commercial airport. Once you have to fly there is not much difference in a 3 hour versus 4 hour flight, (especially when chartered)

In order for USF to get in a Big 5 conference immediately is the BE/ACC hybrid.

If 2 Fl teams are in Big 12 it will be FSU & Miami.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I still think the biggest hurdle is the splitting of the VA and NC schools. Once the state legislatures can assure UVA/UNC in the B10 and VT/NCSt in the SEC, I think the rest of the pieces fall into place with the B12 taking at least 2 from the ACC (FSU/Clem most likely) and not the BE. At this point, the ACC would swallow up the rest of the BE schools to get to 12 (assuming Temple in as well, but could be UCF instead).

Interestingly, they would still have the ND thing to deal with. Either the Irish pull out completely (and join the land of uneven revenues in the B12, maybe with BYU to get that league to 14) or perhaps this paves the way for, yes, another hybrid BBall/FBall league, with GTown/SJU/Nova coming in as well. Twleve for football, 16 for hoops, and they keep Duke happy, who will no doubt be kicking and screaming for being left behind by their ACC blueblood brethren. Would be the strongest BBall league without question and Duke already plays GTown and SJU on a regular basis.

Of course, I have nothing to back this up and it's all just speculation. Probably have to wait for UMD to settle their buyout before the others decide to jump ship.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,056
  • Days Won:  20

Am I the only one worried that if the ACC/B12 look to take another FL team they offer to UCF instead? Orlando is by no means a small television market (#19 vs #14) they have been more successful in Football and Basketball the last few years, and the gameday atmosphere is better. In the national consciousness what's the difference between South Florida and Central Florida anyways?

Since they've been invited to the new BE already, I'd think they'd look like a very attractive prospect. Is there anything preventing this from happening?

Edited by TheUpperHand

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Probably have to wait for UMD to settle their buyout before the others decide to jump ship.

Exactly.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

Am I the only one worried that if the ACC/B12 look to take another FL team they offer to UCF instead? Orlando is by no means a small television market (#19 vs #14) they have been more successful in Football and Basketball the last few years, and the gameday atmosphere is better. In the national consciousness what's the difference between South Florida and Central Florida anyways?

Since they've been invited to the new BE already, I'd think they'd look like a very attractive prospect. Is there anything preventing this from happening?

I didn't realize the TV markets were that close .... bottom line, the only real thing separating us at this point is that we've already been in a BCS conference for 8 years where they haven't ... and I'm not sure how much weight that would carry.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

The one issue with UCF is if Disney/ESPN uses UCF/Football to push the Mouse or and bigger bowl games there. The HP Field house is hosting the basketball invitational/tournament right now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

The one issue with UCF is if Disney/ESPN uses UCF/Football to push the Mouse or and bigger bowl games there. The HP Field house is hosting the basketball invitational/tournament right now.

That's not really an issue. Orlando's been hosting that tournament for a while now. What does UCF's conference affiliation have to do with bigger bowl games there ... and use UCF football to push the Mouse ... seriously?? :lol:

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Don't see it. Stadium is on campus but small. USF has almost a decade of BCS competition under its belt and several signature wins. USF has beaten UCF all four times they've met. I could see UCF paired with USF under certain circumstances but I'm not concerned that a power conference would reach over a long-time Big East team to what is basically still a C-USA team. Is it impossible? No, but highly unlikely IMO.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I don't know that they have been more successful in either sport, other than getting more wins against weaker competition. C-USA isn't bad in basketball, but the Big East has been brutal.

Anyway, everything I've read has USF being considered much more than UCF.

• Upvote 1