Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Days Won:  14

@MHver3: Both Espn and fox are encouraging B12 to think about 14 or even 16. Will keep payouts same! Any current MWC or AAC team. IF D4 or split.

@mitchbalhorn: @MHver3 Where does BYU lie in expansion lineup? BYU and Cincy are the frontrunners, right?

@MHver3: @mitchbalhorn correct. But I believe USF to be the next in.

Does he mean

1. usf

2. byu

3. cincy

or 

1. byu

2.cincy

3. usf

My interpretation is USF ahead of BYU and Cincy based on the question. 

USF the next in?

I gave up on this guy long ago. Quick question - does anyone have a rough idea how often this guy has proven to be correct? 40%? 50%?

It's hard to say, but I'd say these rumor spreaders have a degree of truth to them. I posted a while ago and don't have time to dig this up, but this person nailed the Maryland/Rutgers to Big Ten months before it happened. It's The Dude and Tuxedo Yoda I'm less convinced about. 

What has been consistently true is that when these rumors flare up, something is usually afoot. 

Both Dennis Dodds and Oklahoma's AD have recently gone ON RECORD saying expansion is not done and stay tuned. Linked earlier in this thread.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

@MHver3: Both Espn and fox are encouraging B12 to think about 14 or even 16. Will keep payouts same! Any current MWC or AAC team. IF D4 or split.

@mitchbalhorn: @MHver3 Where does BYU lie in expansion lineup? BYU and Cincy are the frontrunners, right?

@MHver3: @mitchbalhorn correct. But I believe USF to be the next in.

Does he mean

1. usf

2. byu

3. cincy

or 

1. byu

2.cincy

3. usf

My interpretation is USF ahead of BYU and Cincy based on the question. 

USF the next in?

I gave up on this guy long ago. Quick question - does anyone have a rough idea how often this guy has proven to be correct? 40%? 50%?

The thing is, he hasn't really been wrong.  He hasn't ever said, "Conference X will expand by this date".  He also hasn't ever said, "this school is definitely going here".  But he's been ahead of the curve on many things, including the new D4.  I'm convinced he has inside sources.  None of these guys can ever be 100% because they are talking about discussions that are happening, not contracts that have been signed

If you want to hear "this is definitely going to happen", don't read this thread and just watch ESPN.  But lots of discussions are happening behind the scenes, lots of scenarios tossed about.  If you want to know what's being talked about, read MHVer3, tuxedoyoda, and a few others.  But just because they bring up a scenario, doesn't mean that scenario is the one that will occur after all the negotiations are done.

From everything I've read the last week, I am 80-90% certain USF will be with the big boys within the next three or four years.  That could be B12, ACC, or even a newly redefined AAC.  But pretty much every different version of events mentions USF now, ahead of most other schools.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,814
  • Days Won:  3

These guys are all full of it. The person that said, "where there's smoke there's fire" is wrong too. These guys *always* have the rumor mill going. It's hard to be wrong when you NEVER shut up. Greg Swaim (who hasn't been mentioned lately) was proclaiming everywhere he could after the MD/Slutgers poaches that some colossal deal was being announced imminently. I forget the details... but, errr... it never happened (maybe he championed it too hard and died off?).

The weird thing about it - and I do follow them - is that they are mentioning USF a lot more than they EVER used to. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

The Great 8, Are you making the statement that nothing Is going to happen regarding conference realignment?

Where there's smoke there's fire definition

The very presence of a rumor means that something is afoot, even if not exactly what is rumored.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,814

The Great 8, Are you making the statement that nothing Is going to happen regarding conference realignment?

The very presence of a rumor means that something is afoot, even if not exactly what is rumored.

I'm making the claim that they're making smoke. Continually. Any fire that may occur is an unrelated consequence.

That is, there is no causality between the two. It's purely coincidental when something happens. They're using your exact statement as a means to generate interest, because for some reason people believe that their rumor mongering is the result of anything but them wanting 15 minutes of fame.

I could do the exact same thing with NFL expansion. We *know* it'll happen someday, somewhere. If I suggest a new scenario constantly, someone might eventually think "where there's smoke there's fire" because eventually my "smoke" will be said around the same time as a "fire". It just turns out that NCAA realignment happens a lot more than NFL expansion.

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  425
  • Days Won:  0

Just win baby! If we win, we get in.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Just win baby! If we win, we get in.

Winning is Irrelevant.  Colorado joined the PAC12 and Syracuse and Rutgers both got out of the AAC

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I'm making the claim that they're making smoke. Continually. Any fire that may occur is an unrelated consequence.

Actually, if you have been following them for some time you would know this isn't true.  There was lots of smoke before each of the conference moves.  But all of them have been pretty quiet the last few months.  Sure, the occasional tidbit about one school or another possibly moving to a conference.  But nothing like what we've seen for the last week or so.  We've gone from the smoke of a Bic lighter to a smoldering forest fire.  There were a few months of a collective deep breath, and now more changes seem imminent.  

And by imminent I mean the next few months, not next week.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

All we can do is keep praying for more realignment.

Databull is right, everything was quiet for a couple months there. Many of these "insiders" said it was over and they wouldn't be commenting on realignment anymore.

Now? All of the sudden It's crazy. There's something going on, something big, and it's going to be announced this season. By 2014 the CFB landscape will be changed.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

All we can do is keep praying for more realignment.

Databull is right, everything was quiet for a couple months there. Many of these "insiders" said it was over and they wouldn't be commenting on realignment anymore.

Now? All of the sudden It's crazy. There's something going on, something big, and it's going to be announced this season. By 2014 the CFB landscape will be changed.

We need to pray the B12 falls apart, because we DON'T want to be in it.

The best of all scenarios for USF is if UT and OU bolt for the PAC, taking TT and OSU with them