Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

I think the term "auto bid" is used interchangeably with the design layout of each P4 conference champion in the playoffs, and the "highest ranked conference champion" from the G5 (which would include PACx). It's just a question of vocabulary. 

ACC/B1G/SEC/BigXII - will all have one single, solitary conference champion - regardless of overall ranking out of 133 teams - represented in the playoffs.

The PACx/MAC/AAC/CUSA/Sun Belt/Mountain West conference champion - which is ranked higher than any other conference champion from this collection - will be included in the playoffs, while the remainder of the twelve-team bracket will consist of highest ranked teams. So yes, it is a true statement that 

in that their champion COULD be in the playoffs. Do I think an additional G5 team conference champion is going to be in the playoff by virtue of being higher ranked than any other P4 team? No.  I think the term "auto bid" is a euphemism for P4-inclusion. 

Definitely a distinction without a difference, it gives an appearance of equity but with none of its nasty repercussions 

2 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

No Conf has an autobid.  Not the SEC

Sure

• Haha 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

gives an appearance of equity but with none of its nasty repercussions

As we discussed in this week's HR meeting, as long as the box is checked we are in compliance. Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Just now, WoolyBully said:

As we discussed in this week's HR meeting, as long as the box is checked we are in compliance. Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

I just hard code them to checked if required, problem solved

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  4,185
  • Days Won:  5

WWW.FORBES.COM

Days after the Pac-12 poached four Mountain programs, let's take a look at what's next in the...

Who Will The Pac-12 Target?

All eyes should be looking toward the AAC because that’s where a lot of opportunity lies for the Pac-12. Top options include Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, North Texas and USF. Texas State might also be worth a look from the Sun Belt. It’s unlikely the Pac-12 takes more from the Mountain West and if it does, that clearly wasn’t plan A because that would’ve happened already. The only exception would be if UNLV is hesitant due to its desire to stick with Nevada. That could end up being a package deal unless UNLV goes in solo.

****Ironic that this was put out by Forbes.  That's where I get all my sports news LOL.  

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  4,185
  • Days Won:  5

FLYWAREAGLE.COM

Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, and USF have all received Pac-12 invites according to Stream On's Jim Williams; who confirmed the report with USA Today on September 21.

Memphis can join the ACC, according to reporter

CBS Sports' Gary Parrish, a Memphis alum and resident, believes the ACC is a legitimate option for the Tigers; meaning at least Tulane, but potentially USF and UTSA as well.

1 minute ago, Cat941 said:

All eyes should be looking toward the AAC because that’s where a lot of opportunity lies for the Pac-12. Top options include Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, North Texas and USF. Texas State might also be worth a look from the Sun Belt. It’s unlikely the Pac-12 takes more from the Mountain West and if it does, that clearly wasn’t plan A because that would’ve happened already. The only exception would be if UNLV is hesitant due to its desire to stick with Nevada. That could end up being a package deal unless UNLV goes in solo.

I am fascinated with what constitutes "news" in 2024 college football. Would anyone in their right mind make a lateral move? What phenomenal, incredible, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is there for any AAC school to think that joining the P-Nebulous is the way to go? Or is it a case of just doing something for the sake of doing something? And by that, I mean just sitting at the keyboard and hoping that your million-monkey keystrokes become Shakespeare. Yes, UNLV going solo. That has brilliance written all over it. Hey, if Notre Dame can succeed - why not the Runnin' Rebels, since people already confuse the two schools for one another all the time, as is?! 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,806
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

I am fascinated with what constitutes "news" in 2024 college football. Would anyone in their right mind make a lateral move? What phenomenal, incredible, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is there for any AAC school to think that joining the P-Nebulous is the way to go? Or is it a case of just doing something for the sake of doing something? And by that, I mean just sitting at the keyboard and hoping that your million-monkey keystrokes become Shakespeare. Yes, UNLV going solo. That has brilliance written all over it. Hey, if Notre Dame can succeed - why not the Runnin' Rebels, since people already confuse the two schools for one another all the time, as is?! 

It would be to increase the schedule strength and increase the odds of getting 1 of the 5 conference championship bids. 

would also maybe be more money, but I’m not convinced of that yet. The PAC schools aren’t that in demand and the west coast time zone sucks for viewership.

• Upvote 1

My sources are telling me that no one from the sec and the B1G are expressing any interest in joining the PAC, this story is still developing 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  633
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

The premise is that it isn’t a lateral move.

4 minutes ago, Gismo said:

increase the odds of getting 1 of the 5 conference championship bids.

There are two components to this objective:

1 - you MUST be a conference champion

2 - having completed step (1), you must be ranked higher than the other G(x) teams who are also conference champions (generally a SOS function).

So, what you need is a tougher schedule (improved rankings) while playing lesser competition in-conference (greasing the rails to a championship).  It would seem to me that any conference that is considering adding a team would factor that into the equation. Do we necessarily want this FNG to come in here and dominate? We always say stuff about "our" conference, but we're really in it for ourselves. If I stand a better chance of making the cut, as is, why bring in someone who might leapfrog me? I think it cuts both ways. Nein, danke. 

Now if you're adding warm bodies to meet a contractual obligation (e.g., broadcast agreements), that's different. That's why we invited Lonnie, Jugdish & Mohammed.