Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,732
  • Days Won:  30

27 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

That’s a very USF-centric perspective. If I’m Memphis or Tulane, travel isn’t as big of issue based on their locations, neither are in the EST time zone, and USF has their own plans (which likely don’t include either school) to move a bigger conference. If the media deal is even marginally better, I’m leaving because I also know my next AAC deal won’t be as good as the last one. 

If I am the PAC sure I’d like USF in my conference as it effectively destroys the AAC but it’s also another 75 minutes away in the EST. Since the PAC would be the top G5 conference with the additions of Memphis and Tulane, perhaps they don’t really need to add USF. And since USF would still presumably be trying to leave the AAC, the AAC would still get destroyed in due time, cementing the PAC as a P4 1/2.

I’m afraid we are playing with a weak hand in the current situation, mainly because of geography. If the aforementioned teams go, I think USF has to go. Sometimes you have to take the job you don’t love to get the one you do.

I don't think the playoff committee recognizes a power 4.5 conference just like they laughed at the power6 conference. The goal is to get out of g5 .

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,771
  • Days Won:  8

28 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

That’s a very USF-centric perspective. If I’m Memphis or Tulane, travel isn’t as big of issue based on their locations, neither are in the EST time zone, and USF has their own plans (which likely don’t include either school) to move a bigger conference. If the media deal is even marginally better, I’m leaving because I also know my next AAC deal won’t be as good as the last one. 

If I am the PAC sure I’d like USF in my conference as it effectively destroys the AAC but it’s also another 75 minutes away in the EST. Since the PAC would be the top G5 conference with the additions of Memphis and Tulane, perhaps they don’t really need to add USF. And since USF would still presumably be trying to leave the AAC, the AAC would still get destroyed in due time, cementing the PAC as a P4 1/2.

I’m afraid we are playing with a weak hand in the current situation, mainly because of geography. If the aforementioned teams go, I think USF has to go. Sometimes you have to take the job you don’t love to get the one you do.

Exactly like I said. 

Being in the PAC or AAC with Memphis and Tulane, is better than being in either the PAC or ACC solo or with only 1 of them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,048
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Brad said:

"They may not want to go, but they don’t want the other guy to go without them."

There, once again, is one of the things we all know.  

Screenshot_20240920-113019.png

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,482
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

As someone said before, if those teams leave, the AAC contract renewal will not be worth what it is now.  So it may be better from a future perspective.  That being said, playing all west coast teams would not be the ideal situation for us as fans.  😞

It is already going to be worse than it is now. We still have the same deal we did with UCF, Cincy, etc.. were in the conference.

If Tulane and Memphis leave it will be significantly worse.

Edited by USFBULL_08
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,777
  • Days Won:  7

Why would we ever want to be in a conference with schools from across the country on/ near the West coast? Our 7 pm West coast start times become 10 pm East coast start times. Frequent cross country travel can give unpredictable outcomes in games due to jet lag and fatigue. Even if they mustered up a 6 team Eastern division within the PAC-12 and had the 6 West coasts teams, that still wouldn't be enough for a full season of 12 games to play on just one side of the divide to avoid long travel. Additionally, it's called the PAC-12 (aka PACIFIC-12), USF is located in an Atlantic/ Gulf Coast state on the opposite side of the map -- dumb. If PAC-12 was a Power Conference, I'd be more willing to hold my nose and go for it but the current/ future make-up of the conference + USF, Memphis, Tulane and maybe 3 others in the East will not make this a Power Conference. It's would be a diagonal move at best, but not a huge step up. It'll lock us into another new conference that still isn't where we want to be for another 5-10+ years, at least.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Plus, how will the Pac-12's raid of the Mountain West affect conference realignment throughout the landscape?

Some highlights:

Industry sources weren't sure which way forward the Pac-12 would take. They were sure almost unanimously that the new Pac-12 won't get much more than the current Mountain West deal, which is $45 million per year from current rights holders Fox and CBS. (TNT has a smaller deal for a handful of lower-echelon games.) 

The current deal with Fox and CBS has netted MWC members an average of between $4 million to $5 million per year. Boise State has a long-standing weighted share of $7 million annually because it was the flagship program for the conference. CBS Sports has learned that will no longer be the case with the new Pac-12. All six members, so far, have agreed to equal shares.

"Everyone is equal in the Pac-12," Parsons said. 

Those industry sources all wondered how the reconstituted Pac-12 is going to make much more than the current MWC. There was a collective shoulder shrug. 

usf needs to see the bottom line guaranteed (in writing) before considering any move.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,778
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

The goal is to win and get out the aac to a power conference.  I  think a possible 12 or 14 team pac would be an upgrade for football, but the tv contract,gor, and travel cost won't be worth it. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Now If the cfpc acknowledged to be a power conference and paid like one so then yes obviously,  but it wont.

Pac12/14

West

Cstate

Fresno

Boise 

Wazzaou

Oregon State 

Unless

Nevada ( state laws)

Central/east

Memphis

Tulane

Utsa

Usf

I would add Liberty

Then two more teams like ecu or uconn.

I just don't think juice is worth the squeeze for slightly better football. Golesh has been telling recruits we are going to a power conference and dear God I hope that is true.

I would say all of that, but App State or CCU over Liberty.

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

perfect loops GIF

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,082
  • Days Won:  5

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  52

53 minutes ago, gibbsak said:

Screenshot_20240920-113019.png

That's a perfect summary. 

3 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

This will eventually cause the ACC to fail like the PAC or B12.  This is just delaying the failure.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  52

59 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

As someone said before, if those teams leave, the AAC contract renewal will not be worth what it is now.  So it may be better from a future perspective.  That being said, playing all west coast teams would not be the ideal situation for us as fans.  😞

Yeah fans would ultimately lose, but that's the name of the game when the corpos ruin everything they touch.  

The preserving future money argument to stay comparable is a good one.