Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

I hate to say it, but I think the Athletic Department really put a lot of eggs in the FSU/Clemson basket. That may still play out with their departure in the next year or so, but I it seems more likely there is a negotiated settlement and the ACC GOR is reduced to 2030 timeframe.

With the calculus changing for USF, taking a lifeboat to the PAC12, even if in the interim, is not a bad move. If that league acquires Memphis and Tulane, it would almost be guaranteed that the conference champ is the G5 rep for playoff every year. PAC12 will have a new media rights deal somewhere between $10-20million per school per year. A few years of this will help cover USF's exit fee. MWC and CUSA will be on life support along with any of their media rights.

If MWC conference loses Airforce to AAC then they will be below the minimum conference member threshold of 8. There isn't really any inventory to backfill besides raiding CUSA members like New Mexico State and UTEP. Can't call up FCS teams like you used too because the application fee is prohibitively high at $5mil now. That would kill CUSA and water down the remaining MWC. Also, what do you do with Hawaii if you are the MWC because the league certainly won't be making the same without its four best brands (and potentially UNLV). It becomes cost-prohibitive to continue to subsidize Hawaii travel at that point. 

All that is to say, if USF has an opportunity to stay afloat in the revamped PAC12, and make a few more dollars a year until the next round of realignment (2030ish), then so be it.  Also, lets enjoy the ride until we get there 🤘

• Content Count:  5

2 minutes ago, MMW said:

They do say it is always darkest before the dawn.   

Yeah but are we even at the darkest yet? Maybe if Memphis and Tulane leave. That would be so close to Pitch Black I'd expect Vin Diesel to show up at games in costume

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,211
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Uncrustabull said:

I hate to say it, but I think the Athletic Department really put a lot of eggs in the FSU/Clemson basket. That may still play out with their departure in the next year or so, but I it seems more likely there is a negotiated settlement and the ACC GOR is reduced to 2030 timeframe.

With the calculus changing for USF, taking a lifeboat to the PAC12, even if in the interim, is not a bad move. If that league acquires Memphis and Tulane, it would almost be guaranteed that the conference champ is the G5 rep for playoff every year. PAC12 will have a new media rights deal somewhere between $10-20million per school per year. A few years of this will help cover USF's exit fee. MWC and CUSA will be on life support along with any of their media rights.

If MWC conference loses Airforce to AAC then they will be below the minimum conference member threshold of 8. There isn't really any inventory to backfill besides raiding CUSA members like New Mexico State and UTEP. Can't call up FCS teams like you used too because the application fee is prohibitively high at $5mil now. That would kill CUSA and water down the remaining MWC. Also, what do you do with Hawaii if you are the MWC because the league certainly won't be making the same without its four best brands (and potentially UNLV). It becomes cost-prohibitive to continue to subsidize Hawaii travel at that point. 

All that is to say, if USF has an opportunity to stay afloat in the revamped PAC12, and make a few more dollars a year until the next round of realignment (2030ish), then so be it.  Also, lets enjoy the ride until we get there 🤘

Nothing was happening today, or tomorrow, or the next day, with FSU/Clemson. That was always a 1-2 year thing at minimum. USF has almost always been 3-5 years from making any sort of move, to line up with the next round of tv contracts (not including the ACC). If something comes sooner than that, great. But none of the decisions made were made with some short-term window. The administration should 100% make the same decisions whether conference realignment was active or not. Build us a better athletics department, better teams, better OOC schedules at home, etc. Now it's our turn to show up, support, donate, and be the best supporters that we can be. The rest will take care of itself. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,223
  • Days Won:  68

13 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Has anyone looked into what is involved in flying and then driving to Washington State University? It's in the middle of nowhere. 

This isn't flying to Dallas or San Antonio from Tampa with big international airports. 

For a football team, once every maybe 4 years, probably not a big deal. But men's basketball and baseball every year? 

Where Is Washington State University?

I got a direct flight from Dallas to Spokane, easy peasy 

• Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

19 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Has anyone looked into what is involved in flying and then driving to Washington State University? It's in the middle of nowhere. 

This isn't flying to Dallas or San Antonio from Tampa with big international airports. 

For a football team, once every maybe 4 years, probably not a big deal. But men's basketball and baseball every year? 

Where Is Washington State University?

In the 2021-2022 season we played Hawaii and Wyoming in men's basketball. If we were able to play these teams there is some way to work out us playing OSU and WSU as well, whether travelling there, playing at home, or playing it on a neutral court.

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,060
  • Days Won:  5

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,060
  • Days Won:  5

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  596

From a Tulane-supporting X account yesterday….

IMG_8175.jpeg

Edited by 00Bull

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,648
  • Days Won:  52

31 minutes ago, Uncrustabull said:

I hate to say it, but I think the Athletic Department really put a lot of eggs in the FSU/Clemson basket.

I think we were as fans but we don't know that the actual athletic department was.  There was no indicator how that legal case was going to go, so one would have to put that in the "nice to have" category.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,648
  • Days Won:  52

7 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

From a Tulane-supporting X account yesterday….

IMG_8175.jpeg

That's funny.  Consultant: Yo get out of this conference, bro!