Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Days Won:  5

WWW.ACTIONNETWORK.COM

Read Brett McMurphy's column on why conference realignment in...

Ugh!  

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,586
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This is the appropriate thread for all crazy talk.  You should have seen Puc last night.

I think I’ll have to get my own thread for popular opinion divergent people people that know thinking we are going to the B1G when all we do is get passed by everyone that would kill to join them is too nuts. I guess to keep pretending VPMK isn’t the biggest continual loser in college athletics you need to hold on to some kind of fairy tale and ignore the world everyone else is living in, where he is the one person you want to be going up against in any negotiation, presentation or anything else of value you could be competing to try to come out ahead. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,008
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I also think USF is a legitimately on the list for the B1G. What they don't need more of: wins and programs giving OSU/PennSt/Michigan fits. They need programs to compete against other conferences and hold their own, while expanding their conference's structure to a nation-wide conference in major markets, with large programs and alumni bases (think Wisco/Minn/Illinois/Indiana, not every program can be an Ohio St). USF will be more than competitive in the B1G while giving the B1G what they need for their conference expansion plans. Would a bigger name that provides the same tangibles also be welcome? Of course. UNC/Georgia Tech/ASU fit those metrics. Miami does too but with a smaller alumni base and school. Assuming SEC schools are off the table for the B1G, then have to think there is a fairly small list of schools who provide the value they are looking for (not to mention, AAU status). I think by 2037 the B1G will be at 24 schools, so 6 more in the next 11 years. Non-SEC schools on the B1G's board for 5-7 years from now I think looks like this, place them in any order you want: 

UNC/UVA/GaTech/ASU/Zona/Stanford/Cal/Utah/Colorado/USF/Miami/Notre Dame/BC

And ultimately I think their next and final 6 are: Notre Dame, Stanford, USF, Miami, UVA, and GaTech. 

It’s weird, if you take the “USF” name off the school and list the schools credentials, USF really does fit the BIG profile to a tee. BUT, I just can’t visualize USF in the BIG; as much as I want it and it would make sense (easily compete with Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, etc). If the BIG wanted Stanford, they would have taken them with USC, so I don’t think that’ll happen. 

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,058
  • Days Won:  45

23 minutes ago, Triple B said:

LOL ..... no, it doesn't.

Exactly lol. I’m like where have these people been living under a rock or something while USF mens hoops & football bounced back last season & has had sell outs. MK can’t control what other conferences do but he sure is doing a great job with the tasks that he can control 

14 minutes ago, Cat941 said:
WWW.ACTIONNETWORK.COM

Read Brett McMurphy's column on why conference realignment in...

Ugh!  

PAC should grab Nebraska 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,925
  • Days Won:  436

5 minutes ago, michibull said:

It’s weird, if you take the “USF” name off the school and list the schools credentials, USF really does fit the BIG profile to a tee. BUT, I just can’t visualize USF in the BIG; as much as I want it and it would make sense (easily compete with Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, etc). If the BIG wanted Stanford, they would have taken them with USC, so I don’t think that’ll happen. 

Yeah, but this is where geography could come into play to help instead of harm us. And before the attack dogs jump in, I think the chance of it happening is infinitesimal, though ...

Edited by Triple B

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,211

I think Stanford is the last bargaining chip to lure Notre Dame. The B1G didn't *need* Stanford, so no reason to take them at that time. I also think they will want another school or two out west. If they don't get Notre Dame, I can see ASU/Zone or ASU/Utah instead of Stanford/ND, or maybe even Calford, but that combo is less likely. I think the next round is the SE expansion, with ~10 years from now the full court press on ND with Stanford as a bargaining chip. If not, two other western schools. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  3,182

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I also think USF is a legitimately on the list for the B1G. What they don't need more of: wins and programs giving OSU/PennSt/Michigan fits. They need programs to compete against other conferences and hold their own, while expanding their conference's structure to a nation-wide conference in major markets, with large programs and alumni bases (think Wisco/Minn/Illinois/Indiana, not every program can be an Ohio St). USF will be more than competitive in the B1G while giving the B1G what they need for their conference expansion plans. Would a bigger name that provides the same tangibles also be welcome? Of course. UNC/Georgia Tech/ASU fit those metrics. Miami does too but with a smaller alumni base and school. Assuming SEC schools are off the table for the B1G, then have to think there is a fairly small list of schools who provide the value they are looking for (not to mention, AAU status). I think by 2037 the B1G will be at 24 schools, so 6 more in the next 11 years. Non-SEC schools on the B1G's board for 5-7 years from now I think looks like this, place them in any order you want: 

UNC/UVA/GaTech/ASU/Zona/Stanford/Cal/Utah/Colorado/USF/Miami/Notre Dame/BC

And ultimately I think their next and final 6 are: Notre Dame, Stanford, USF, Miami, UVA, and GaTech. 

If SEC teams are on the board because of a certain footprint, Texas A&M is an intriguing consideration to the list as well.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  596
  • Days Won:  0

41 minutes ago, Triple B said:

LOL ..... no, it doesn't.

“I don’t get to caught up with the specifics of a conference, but I know we’re on the radar of the current P4, and we’re focused on making the American the strongest it can be as well.” 

Good to know he doesn’t get caught up in exactly what he’s paid to. Time to go.

@puc86 Some red meat for ya.

IMG_8168.png

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,223
  • Days Won:  68

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, but this is where geography could come into play to help instead of harm us. And before the attack dogs jump in, I think the chance of it happening is infinitesimal, though ...

Dammit, I was licking my chops until you dropped in that last disclaimer, until next time.  I actually agree with you 100%.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,925
  • Days Won:  436

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Dammit, I was licking my chops until you dropped in that last disclaimer, until next time.  I actually agree with you 100%.

I'm dumb but not an idiot ...