Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,868
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

Are GoR deals even a good idea for the conferences? Seems like you just get sued when a team wants out. If college football is to be saved (ie remains interesting for everyone and not just ~30 teams) we need promotion/relegation regional conferences.

Either the relegation format will become an eventuality or college football will cease to exist as a non-amateur sport. They money people will have to decide if they want to keep college sports as part of the collegiate experience and in line with the collegiate spirit, or if they just want to try to create another bastardized cash cow. Private equity trying to get involved in college sports doesn’t bode well for the collegiate spirit

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,878
  • Days Won:  6

4 minutes ago, sparkybull said:

well. we're cooked.

I thought we already have a silent invite to the ACC so what's the worry????? 😉 Contact the PAC2 now and say we want in.  Contact Tulane and Memphis and beg for their help recommending us in this go round.  We need a home the next couple years that will pay us double what we get now.  I think the PAC (Pacific Atlantic Conference) will get that.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,776
  • Days Won:  3

Honestly, is anyone truly stressed about not getting an invite to the big table? Or is it more the disappointment that something we enjoy will be relegated to an “inferior” or “lower tier” product?

• Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

4 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

I thought we already have a silent invite to the ACC so what's the worry????? 😉 Contact the PAC2 now and say we want in.  Contact Tulane and Memphis and beg for their help recommending us in this go round.  We need a home the next couple years that will pay us double what we get now.  I think the PAC (Pacific Atlantic Conference) will get that.

The PAC won't get double what we currently get $8 to $10 million. The question is, will the PAC get substantially more than the AAC is left under a new contract if they lose Memphis and Tulane. USF *MIGHT* be better off financially just feasting on the exit fees from UCONN, UCF, Cincy, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and Tulane. We are talking over $100 million with a lot still left to be paid out. While being better off financially would be nice, the future conference slate is looking bleak. Memphis and Tulane are literally the only two conference games where the opponent would drive any appreciable amount of interest. 

1 minute ago, Peatearpan said:

Honestly, is anyone truly stressed about not getting an invite to the big table? Or is it more the disappointment that something we enjoy will be relegated to an “inferior” or “lower tier” product?

It's that we have gone from looking forward to conference games against Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and WVU to

UCF, Cincy, Houston, and SMU to

Memphis, Tulane, ECU, and UTSA to

Rice, Tulsa, FAU, and North Texas......I think the disappointment lies somewhere in there. 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The PAC won't get double what we currently get $8 to $10 million. The question is, will the PAC get substantially more than the AAC is left under a new contract if they lose Memphis and Tulane. USF *MIGHT* be better off financially just feasting on the exit fees from UCONN, UCF, Cincy, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and Tulane. We are talking over $100 million with a lot still left to be paid out. While being better off financially would be nice, the future conference slate is looking bleak. Memphis and Tulane are literally the only two conference games where the opponent would drive any appreciable amount of interest. 

Is feasting on exit fees the goal, or are we interested in going to playoffs, playing meaningful games, being ranked, and being a respected program nationally?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

17 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

according to our fanbase the Big 10 has an invite for us any minute. They'll swoop in I swear!

• Haha 1
  • ???? 1

10 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Is feasting on exit fees the goal, or are we interested in going to playoffs, playing meaningful games, being ranked, and being a respected program nationally?

As a stopgap to an ACC invite it would be ok, financially, for a short period of time. Anything longer than 3 years would be pretty disastrous. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

As a stopgap to an ACC invite it would be ok, financially, for a short period of time. Anything longer than 3 years would be pretty disastrous. 

would there be an opportunity cost to not playing games with better teams over that period of time? i have to think it would hurt us even for ACC expansion later on

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  845
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Yes it's both stressful and disappointing. We got a taste of the good **** during the Big East so it's tough to let go especially considering that we were being competitive and in the mix of things. 

So being relegated to an inferior product will lead us to continue having issues competing with even the lowest of P4 teams. Makes for a tough sell on a Saturday afternoon in Florida. I still go to the Bama, Miami, etc games bc we aren't there just yet so the idea of being able to win is there. But if the best of the rest leave us behind then it just makes the battle that much tougher and less likely for us to have an enjoyable competitive product.

7 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

It's that we have gone from looking forward to conference games against Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and WVU to

UCF, Cincy, Houston, and SMU to

Memphis, Tulane, ECU, and UTSA to

Rice, Tulsa, FAU, and North Texas......I think the disappointment lies somewhere in there. 

This 100 percent. Also makes it more difficult to justify opening the wallet. I'm currently spending thousands on FB tix alone (not including MBB) and I'm ok with it now bc I am hopeful that we will be playing better competition continuously in the near future.

However if we end up in a conference worse than CUSA then they better start charging Cusa prices bc I'm not going to pay $100+ per ticket any longer to watch us forever play vs CLT, Tulsa, etc...

Couple that with the emotional loathe of it as well.

• Crying 1