Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,586
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

PAC can’t get $15-20 million per team.  No chance. 

I mean that’s only $10 million in last contract negotiation dollars …

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

My thoughts on USF and the PAC...

Consider this ... the AAC has a better media deal than the MWC. The four MWC teams moving to the PAC will have to pay $10M in exit fees (no GOR since the TV deal expires the year they are departing).  The PAC 2 have to pay $17 million each for poaching the MWC because of the scheduling agreement they reached for 2024.  The PAC will pay most of that out of the $245M war chest they have from the exiting teams.

Now, we know Apple was offering the Pac 10 aorund $15-20M per year before the conference fell apart.  This new conference will not get that much money.  Maybe $10M per year per team.  Memphis, Tuilane, and USF get around $8M per year.  The $2M more would not be worth the sacrifice of playing games on the left coast for any of the eastern AAC teams.

However, if this PAC can get $15-$20M... USF should accept an invite.  It would be a short term deal - doubling the revenue for five-six years would be worth it.

Personally which conference will make the most money is secondary.  To me its would I rather be in a conference with Boise State, San Diego State, and OSU, or would I rather have a closer flight, but play Rice, North Texas, Charlotte, and Tulsa?

I believe if we join the new PAC our attendance will skyrocket, and  we will improve our chances of making the playoffs. The AAC last year would have lost a playoff bid to Liberty, and right now a Northern Illinois and potentially a Boise State would be better positioned than the AAC champion for a bid this year. If we get the chance to get out of the AAC and join the PAC to me the choice is clear cut.

I have no doubt that UTSA and Memphis will bolt as soon as they get an invite. USF should consult with other AAC teams as how to proceed, but it should not  act cautiously. Fortune favors the brave.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  596
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Consider this ... the AAC has a better media deal than the MWC. The four MWC teams moving to the PAC will have to pay $10M in exit fees (no GOR since the TV deal expires the year they are departing).  The PAC 2 have to pay $17 million each for poaching the MWC because of the scheduling agreement they reached for 2024.  The PAC will pay most of that out of the $245M war chest they have from the exiting teams.

Now, we know Apple was offering the Pac 10 aorund $15-20M per year before the conference fell apart.  This new conference will not get that much money.  Maybe $10M per year per team.  Memphis, Tuilane, and USF get around $8M per year.  The $2M more would not be worth the sacrifice of playing games on the left coast for any of the eastern AAC teams.

However, if this PAC can get $15-$20M... USF should accept an invite.  It would be a short term deal - doubling the revenue for five-six years would be worth it.

Anyone know how long the current AAC payouts are guaranteed for? Presuming upon renegotiation we would be in for a haircut based on the AAC losing its former top teams.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  846
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Personally which conference will make the most money is secondary.  To me its would I rather be in a conference with Boise State, San Diego State, and OSU, or would I rather have a closer flight, but play Rice, North Texas, Charlotte, and Tulsa?

I believe if we join the new PAC our attendance will skyrocket, and  we will improve our chances of making the playoffs. The AAC last year would have lost a playoff bid to Liberty, and right now a Northern Illinois and potentially a Boise State would be better positioned than the AAC champion for a bid this year. If we get the chance to get out of the AAC and join the PAC to me the choice is clear cut.

I have no doubt that UTSA and Memphis will bolt as soon as they get an invite. USF should consult with other AAC teams as how to proceed, but it should not  act cautiously. Fortune favors the brave.

Yeah we're in a bad place right now.

We really screwed ourselves following the prestigious AAU status.

Man it's frustrating fighting for relevancy when it feels that everyone around us is on their A game.

P.S. don't sleep on the SBC, Tx State and J McCloud are looking good.

• Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

22 minutes ago, michibull said:

If the ACC lost FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami; this still looks way better than the B12

ACC Football

Boston College              Pittsburgh

California                        SMU

Duke                                South Florida

Georgia Tech                  Stanford

Louisville                         Syracuse

UCONN                           Virginia

NC State                         Virginia Tech

Memphis                         Wake Forrest

And I don’t see these “leftover” schools leaving in a haste for the B12, I think the media deal would be really good for this, enough for everyone to stay. 

I disagree. I think if this is the situation the Big 12 would invite Louisville, Pitt, and Georgia Tech, and they would fall over each other accepting. But even so it would be still a decent conference for USF. Also I still think Stanford at some point will be Big 10 bound

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,422
  • Content Count:  98,280
  • Days Won:  490

23 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I believe if we join the new PAC our attendance will skyrocket…

Why?  What brand in that cabal would attract Tampans?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4

41 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I mean, I can't believe this is even a question if the PAC extends an invitation. A Pac-10/12/whatever is probably going to be in the $15M/year range, especially with CW wanting to get some sports inventory and play ball. 

And an AAC without Memphis/UTSA/Tulane is far less of a conference than whatever the Pac-Whatever ends up being. Winning this conference in the regular season would certainly get you a ticket to the Big Dance, at least.

As long as there isn't a handcuffing Grant of Rights, you take the deal, the more attractive collection of opponents -- I mean, Boise State or Charlotte, how is this even a question? -- and leave this pathetic excuse for a conference in the dust, even if it's just a way station. Standing around waiting for a life preserver hasn't done a lick of good; this school needs to be proactive and make its own luck.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,072
  • Days Won:  5

45 minutes ago, michibull said:

If the ACC lost FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami; this still looks way better than the B12

ACC Football

Boston College              Pittsburgh

California                        SMU

Duke                                South Florida

Georgia Tech                  Stanford

Louisville                         Syracuse

UCONN                           Virginia

NC State                         Virginia Tech

Memphis                         Wake Forrest

And I don’t see these “leftover” schools leaving in a haste for the B12, I think the media deal would be really good for this, enough for everyone to stay. 

Where do we sign?   Looks good to me (minus Calford).   I admit to  having an east coast bias.  Shrugs.

Edited by Cat941

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,422
  • Content Count:  98,280
  • Days Won:  490

4 minutes ago, MST Bull said:

I mean, I can't believe this is even a question if the PAC extends an invitation. A Pac-10/12/whatever is probably going to be in the $15M/year range, especially with CW wanting to get some sports inventory and play ball. 

And an AAC without Memphis/UTSA/Tulane is far less of a conference than whatever the Pac-Whatever ends up being. Winning this conference in the regular season would certainly get you a ticket to the Big Dance, at least.

As long as there isn't a handcuffing Grant of Rights, you take the deal, the more attractive collection of opponents -- I mean, Boise State or Charlotte, how is this even a question? -- and leave this pathetic excuse for a conference in the dust, even if it's just a way station. Standing around waiting for a life preserver hasn't done a lick of good; this school needs to be proactive and make its own luck.

I don’t think anybody is disagreeing that we take an offer that meets everyone of our requirements and needs, but the question is is that what we’ll get and for how much?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  596

26 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Why?  What brand in that cabal would attract Tampans?

Beat me to it. I don’t know if attendance would skyrocket, but I do know what is going to happen to attendance if we don’t get out of AAC (or god forbid it does lose more teams). And unfortunately our schedule of OOC opponents isn’t looking quite as strong as it has been recently in the post-OCS years. But I still agree, anything but the AAC.