Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,776
  • Days Won:  3

Already announcing a spinoff of a spinoff? I wonder what 32 teams make the cut? Obviously not USF, which is fine.

I welcome this change, and a return to slightly normal college football. (Bring back the BCS!)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,722
  • Days Won:  30

8 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

So with the news that the Rays were almost sold for an astronomical number, now I just read the someone approached the Bucs and offered over 6 Billion and now the very sad news of Vinik selling and the Bolts value over 2 Billion.  What does this tell the ACC (or dare I say the Big 10)  that the value of sports in the Tampa Bay market is one of the best in the country? 

I think Vinnik is selling while the team has an all time high value. Now it would be amazing if he invested around USF and built it up like he did with the areas surrounding Amalie Arena.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,010
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

So with the news that the Rays were almost sold for an astronomical number, now I just read the someone approached the Bucs and offered over 6 Billion and now the very sad news of Vinik selling and the Bolts value over 2 Billion.  What does this tell the ACC (or dare I say the Big 10)  that the value of sports in the Tampa Bay market is one of the best in the country? 

Sadly, it’s not that clear cut. The Rays, Bucs and Lightning own Tampa sports fans for their sports. USF does not own Tampa for college football, that goes to UF and FSU. This CAN change (getting more people interested) if we get into a big conference, but those UF and FSU fans won’t jump ship just because USF gets into the ACC or B1G. It would take a solid 10-15 years to shift this and that comes from the younger generation growing up a USF fan (being in a power conference) rather than adopting the default UF/FSU. From a B1G standpoint, Miami would be an instant and permanent Miami market gain, USF would be an investment with payoff coming later. Tampa is rated 13 and Miami 18, from a business standpoint, the sure thing at 18 is better than a gamble at 13. This is just me trying to be objective. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,722
  • Days Won:  30

247SPORTS.COM

The Virginia Tech football coach slammed his conference's...

I like this coach and his attitude towards realignment. I always wanted to go to VT home game. I have seen them on the road but not in their stadium. 

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

34 minutes ago, michibull said:

Sadly, it’s not that clear cut. The Rays, Bucs and Lightning own Tampa sports fans for their sports. USF does not own Tampa for college football, that goes to UF and FSU. This CAN change (getting more people interested) if we get into a big conference, but those UF and FSU fans won’t jump ship just because USF gets into the ACC or B1G. It would take a solid 10-15 years to shift this and that comes from the younger generation growing up a USF fan (being in a power conference) rather than adopting the default UF/FSU. From a B1G standpoint, Miami would be an instant and permanent Miami market gain, USF would be an investment with payoff coming later. Tampa is rated 13 and Miami 18, from a business standpoint, the sure thing at 18 is better than a gamble at 13. This is just me trying to be objective. 

Indeed! There is a very small and finite number of NFL franchises, and to own one, guarantees membership in a very exclusive club. It would be a mistake to think that Bucs & Bolts value automatically equates to USF value based on proximity. The great point above is that the existing UF/FSU fans are probably not as fair-weather as we see with professional sports and won't necessarily jump ship and become Bulls fans, regardless of whatever conference U of SF finally lands in. We are, after all, fans of our alma mater, not fans of our conference. 

Edited by WoolyBully
text
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  565

41 minutes ago, michibull said:

I realize we don't own the Tampa market, but if we are in a major conference we would take a big step towards that.Not only we have a huge market in Tampa, we have a huge living alumni base in which a very high percentage is in the Tampa Bay market

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,010

7 minutes ago, goingbackbull said:

I realize we don't own the Tampa market, but if we are in a major conference we would take a big step towards that.Not only we have a huge market in Tampa, we have a huge living alumni base in which a very high percentage is in the Tampa Bay market

I completely agree with you, that’s why we are looked at as an investment. I believe in the right situation, we could be more valuable than Miami and UCF and over time, on par with FSU. All we can do is hope that we get into the ACC (as long as it doesn’t blow up, just lose 2-4 teams) or B12. If that happens, we keep Golesh, it wouldn’t take long for us to be viewed with the Florida 3. 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

Indeed! There is a very small and finite number of NFL franchises, and to own one, guarantees membership in a very exclusive club. It would be a mistake to think that Bucs & Bolts value automatically equates to USF value based on proximity. The great point above is that the existing UF/FSU fans are probably not as fair-weather as we see with professional sports and won't necessarily jump ship and become Bulls fans, regardless of whatever conference U of SF finally lands in. We are, after all, fans of our alma mater, not fans of our conference. 

But many of our alma mater are fans of those other two schools. They could come back, possibly, maybe, hopefully.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  565

18 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

But many of our alma mater are fans of those other two schools. They could come back, possibly, maybe, hopefully.

I think alot would, too many feel we are not "big time".    I went to St.Leo (got my AA) before I transferred to USF. My mom always asks me, why don't you care about St.Leo sports like you do USF.   Because they are not "big Time" mom :) 

Edited by goingbackbull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,625
  • Days Won:  10

Just now, goingbackbull said:

I think alot would, too many feel we are not "big time". 

We've seen it happen once with this team.  Get into a conference that people are not embarrassed to be associated with and they will return.

• Upvote 2