Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

5 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

It will probably default to a Sunday print only for a while before even that is scrapped. If you can read it online for five days a week, no reason you can't do the same for seven days.

You CAN read it online all seven days but there is just something comforting about reading an actual paper on Sunday morning to this old guy. And my wife would have a fit if all her puzzles (they put the whole weeks worth in the Sunday paper) were to disappear.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

You CAN read it online all seven days but there is just something comforting about reading an actual paper on Sunday morning to this old guy. And my wife would have a fit if all her puzzles (they put the whole weeks' worth in the Sunday paper) were to disappear.

Yes, you have digital access for seven days, but I still like having the Sunday paper by the pool during breakfast. Too many decades of that behavior to embrace hitting page-down, page-down, page-down.  However, there is the benefit of digital archiving, which is a welcome change from plowing through the recycle bin yelling: "I can't remember, was it Tuesday or Thursday? Are you sure it was this week?"

• Haha 1

Mediations are often a waste of time, but sometimes not:

The advantage of mediation is that it is often a cost-effective, time saving opportunity to avoid the more expensive (and yes, the clock is always ticking if you have the title "esquire" after your name) and time-consuming cost of a trial. I used to mediate small claims & county court or the Sixth Judicial Circuit (Pinellas & Pasco - location of myriad episodes of "Live PD") which is far removed from the $ for this discussion - but the benefits are still the same.

How-ev-ah, mediation is no guarantee that a settlement will be reached, and you won't wind up in front of the judge. Both sides have to realize that the objective of mediation is that neither side is going to get all they want, and compromise is the end game. If you're not willing to compromise, here's the dice, your roll. One of life's simple pleasures, and this isn't a case of schadenfreude, is to see someone who thought they had a slam-dunk position, standing there, slack-jawed, after the judge has ruled against them. Seen it happen more than once. If you opt for mediation, your motto should be Semper Gumby, always flexible. 

Edited by WoolyBully
text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

3 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

If you opt for mediation, your motto should be Semper Gumby, always flexible. 

In this case, it is forced mediation... so I don't expect either side to be flexible.  Both want to go to trial... especially the ACC.  Trials take years with appeals.

And since we're currently talking about FOUR different lawsuits, there is almost zero chance this doesn't eventually get to a federal court.

Edited by Jim Johnson
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

In this case, it is forced mediation... so I don't expect either side to be flexible.  Both want to go to trial... especially the ACC.  Trials take years with appeals.

And since we're currently talking about FOUR different lawsuits, there is almost zero chance this doesn't eventually get to a federal court.

"Forced Mediation" is a euphemism for "formality". Check the box so we can say we did this (hmmm...that sounds odd, I could swear I've run across something like this before in the HR office 😉). If both sides are 'spoilin' for a fight' it is, indeed, of zero productive value whatsoever. But we can always say, truthfully, "Hey man, we went to mediation! Not our fault!"

The line used to be "a successful mediation is one where both parties leave with an agreement they don't like - but can live with". 

Edited by WoolyBully
text

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

Yes, you have digital access for seven days, but I still like having the Sunday paper by the pool during breakfast. Too many decades of that behavior to embrace hitting page-down, page-down, page-down.  However, there is the benefit of digital archiving, which is a welcome change from plowing through the recycle bin yelling: "I can't remember, was it Tuesday or Thursday? Are you sure it was this week?"

:roflmao:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,066
  • Days Won:  45

Looks the Whataburger is going to be ready in Tampa by the time the OCS opens!!

IMG_7137.png

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Days Won:  30

2 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Looks the Whataburger is going to be ready in Tampa by the time the OCS opens!!

IMG_7137.png

The whataburger rumor  was the dominoes we needed to fall. 

• Haha 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  228
  • Days Won:  1

Mediation in Florida is pretty effective for most cases. From the defense perspective it’s nice to be able to directly confront a Plaintiff with some of their bs. It’s probably less effective with sophisticated clients like FSU and the ACC who likely already know the strengths and weaknesses of their case.

After moving to and getting licensed in WA I miss that process as there’s typically no openings in mediation here. 

• Like 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,422
  • Content Count:  98,282
  • Days Won:  490

On 8/9/2024 at 6:00 AM, SilverBull said:

It likely won't be for too long.  I used to work as a reporter and editor back in the days when there were five significant daily newspapers and lots of strong community newspapers in the Tampa Bay area.  I got out of the newspaper business going on 36 years ago when I saw the race to the bottom occurring simultaneously with sea change in technology and media.  It's been a long sad decline since.

WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

Layoffs will occur later this month if targeted savings aren’t met.

And it’s funny that you can’t read the story of their impending demise, you have to pay for it on the spot. Obviously that model doesn’t work. Why have they stuck with that?