Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,648
  • Days Won:  52

3 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I’d wager analytics would show that many more of us check this thread instead of Twitter, etc and would appreciate you guys staying on the topic of college football realignment.

Agreed - This is way more fun that Twitter.  I would rather not.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,648
  • Days Won:  52

9 hours ago, Cat941 said:

Going back to this, is that what was on the secret media scrolls that the FSU legal team requested to see?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,925
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, The Great 8 said:

I know there’s like 10 people enjoying the burger debates in this thread, but I’d wager analytics would show that many more of us check this thread instead of Twitter, etc and would appreciate you guys staying on the topic of college football realignment. Just start a new thread for that topic…

While I understand your pain, by nature threads go off topic, which would only be magnified by the vastness of this one. To be perfectly honest though, the vast majority of the Tweets posted here and the burger posts have about the same amount of really pertinent information in regards to conference realignment and should be for entertainment purposes only ........ but I for one will try to refrain from contributing to the OT stuff, unless it's something really juicy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  174
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

If that's true can they just wait until 2027 and avoid all the legal wrangling or does this just make a settlement nice and easy?

If I'm the ACC, I'm trying to get a settlement. At least get some money from the malcontents before they leave for free. It's like selling a player the year before they hit free agency.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,211
  • Days Won:  1

48 minutes ago, Bull Gooner said:

If I'm the ACC, I'm trying to get a settlement. At least get some money from the malcontents before they leave for free. It's like selling a player the year before they hit free agency.

When do you expect them to leave for free? 2036? 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,673
  • Days Won:  4

Still would need a judge (and likely an appeal judge or 2) to rule on how ESPN being able to leave the deal in 2027 relates to the Grant of Rights which expire in 2036. 

As this article says, its about copyrights. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

In the ACC, a grant-of-rights agreement appears to hold the key to future realignment. It has been highly secretive and much argued over. What exactly is it, and where did...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Days Won:  37

13 hours ago, Brad said:

John.  5000. John.

I’m doing what I can to get is there

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  174
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Cat941 said:

22 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

When do you expect them to leave for free? 2036? 

Potentially 2027 if ESPN decides to scrap the deal. I guess the ACC has to weigh the probability of ESPN ending the deal in '27.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,673
  • Days Won:  4

In reality, "the deal" is ESPN has to pick up the option for 2027 which carries it thru 2036 and they have to exercise that option by the end of February 2025. 

That doesn't free Clemson and FSU from the grant of rights. Clemson and FSU are claiming them leaving does no harm to the grant of rights and that the grant of rights are inherently  connected with the TV contract. That logically makes sense but hasn't been proven in court. As of yet, no one has beaten a grant of rights in court, not even Texas and OU. 

I tend to doubt ESPN will pick up the option which would let the ACC go to market for the 2027 season. Problem is, how much will ESPN/FOX/CBS/Apple/Amazon offer if you know Clemson/FSU and possibly others are likely out the door.  Things may start falling apart after February when you know the money runs out in 2 years. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,223
  • Days Won:  68

3 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Agreed - This is way more fun that Twitter.  I would rather not.

You really don’t need to follow twitter, everyone simply pulls the content out of twitter and posts it here.  I go to twitter to get it faster but you are in essence on twitter.