Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

Football only must be because of travel costs. 

UCF isn't being considered? Seems odd, I would think Big12 would want to bring us both to scoop up the i-4 corridor. 

ok Pac12 + BYU + Boise =14.... Big12 +Uconn, Cincy , USF =13  (and UCF =14)  that would make better sense. 

All P5 has 14 + Notre Dame.  

Pac 12 would not have to deal with BYU religious issues.    

Where would Uconn, Cincy, USF play Olympics sports?

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

UCF isn't being considered? Seems odd, I would think Big12 would want to bring us both to scoop up the i-4 corridor. 

ok Pac12 + BYU + Boise =14.... Big12 +Uconn, Cincy , USF =13  (and UCF =14)  that would make better sense. 

If The Dude is correct, there would be some teams like Duke and Pitt looking for a non-P5 home for football.  They could possible do a swaperoo with the AAC.

And let's not forget the New Big East as a possible home for Olympic sports.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

These guys have never been correct. They're throwing their usual **** against the wall because it's conference media days.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  7,006
  • Days Won:  4

These guys have never been correct. They're throwing their usual **** against the wall because it's conference media days.

Now, now...it's not nice to stomp on those fingers clinging oh-so-desperately to the window ledge! 

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

If The Dude is correct, there would be some teams like Duke and Pitt looking for a non-P5 home for football.  They could possible do a swaperoo with the AAC.

And let's not forget the New Big East as a possible home for Olympic sports.

Maybe Coach K would give Duke a grant ...

This has nothing to do with 'football only' membership, but is a good article that reinforces the forthcoming DMZ / Division Four fortification. 

"If the BCS commissioners survived the anti-trust concerns that went with establishing that college football playoff, building a new luxury home in Division 4 to house it is going to be easy."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22847993/life-to-the-bcs-look-for-division-4-to-revolutionize-college-athletics

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22875447/the-american-likely-to-push-for-ncaa-subdivision-inclusion

The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion July 24, 2013 7:38 pm ET

The American Athletic Conference will likely push for inclusion if the power conferences break into a subdivision or so-called "Division 4," commissioner Mike Aresco told CBSSports.com.

Aresco said he will expound on this topic at the conference's media days in Newport, R.I. early next week, and he wants to know the parameters of a subdivision before discussing further with his presidents.

But on the surface, Aresco believes the American would fit certain criteria such as market size and long-term viability on the field.

“We want to compete at the highest level,†Aresco said.

Once a BCS automatic qualifier as the Big East, the American was ravaged by conference realignment and now sits well below the power five conferences in revenue – a difference of more than $100 million per school over the next seven years.

National sentiment is growing for high-resource schools – namely, those from the Pac-12, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, the ACC and Notre Dame –to have flexibility to spend their money in certain ways.

Paying a player stipend is one, along with increased meals for players or paying expenses for a recruit's parents on official visits. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany at Wednesday's Big Ten Media Day highlighted the need to revisit the 20-hour-a-week time demand on players and a greater commitment to educational trust as part of the restructuring.

Passing meaningful legislature is currently difficult, Bowlsby said, because the entire Division-I body of more than 340 schools plays a part in the governance process.

Though nothing is imminent, Delany expects a structural change within the next year. The issue is complex and could take several turns in the next 12 months. NCAA president Mark Emmert was open about the possibility when addressing Big 12 presidents and athletic directors during the conference's spring meetings in late May.

If a separate governance agreement could be subject to anti-trust lawsuits, perhaps the subdivision will include a membership threshold that any school can meet assuming they are willing to spend the necessary money for inclusion. In that case, the American, the Mountain West and others might have a chance to join, and the big schools still get what they want – the ability to spend their money as they choose.

But the power conferences could up the ante until the smaller conferences can't afford it.

What was telling from Delany's press conference: he referred to “among the five of us (commissioners)†when discussing a subdivision. Not six, but five.

While I am happy that Aresco will be asking about the criteria, part of me keeps seeing the scene from "Revenge of the Nerds 2" when Booger asks the all important question "And who decides the standards?"

This would be the best option, IMO. If there is a breakaway, if the AAC can get in, I'll be very very happy. Glad Aresco is making an effort.

Thought y'all might like to hear Mike Aresco on the governance of college football (no in depth detail, but he does touch on talks w/Bowlsby and the thinking that the AAC needs to be part of the 'higher tier' conference configuration. Aresco says the AAC is closer to the P(5) than the G(5) )

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/collegefootball/38622275848/0/mike-aresco-on-governance-of-college-football

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Thought y'all might like to hear Mike Aresco on the governance of college football (no in depth detail, but he does touch on talks w/Bowlsby and the thinking that the AAC needs to be part of the 'higher tier' conference configuration. Aresco says the AAC is closer to the P(5) than the G(5) )

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/collegefootball/38622275848/0/mike-aresco-on-governance-of-college-football

In other words all of his detractors should note he has jumped on this topic and trying to get the AAC in the door if this happens.

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkV8eLOUrAc

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

In other words all of his detractors should note he has jumped on this topic and trying to get the AAC in the door if this happens.

Here's the video.

So, rightfully so in many ways, I was skewered for asking to know what they were doing about our crappy conference issue...

I'm glad to hear them engaging

Edited by Skingraft