Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,787
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Yeah, I worked at Nielsen Media Research (Audience Data Warehouse) or five years, as did (or still does?) our good friend @MaltLiquorBull.  My point being that when we start putting things on the scale, national name recognition might play more of a part than DMA placement. That complex decision-making process...

I'm sure national name recognition is the main factor, still. I just see a lot of people in this thread not understanding that it's not just about people watching TV. There have been a lot of good points made in this thread and all the many factors add up to being just as important as recent historical success (national name recognition can change in a single season: see FAU in MBB). I thought the point about airport size and ease of long distance travel was an interesting point and it just reminded me of all the B1G fans that live from Sarasota to Spring Hill that would be able to drive to games in Tampa.

If USF was in the B1G, we'd likely host sell out games every week, regardless of if our team was contending for conference championships at the time.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  6,998
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

If USF was in the B1G, we'd likely host sell out games every week,

Yes, because as Granny often said, 'you are judged by the company you keep, young man!' 😆  And  it would behoove you to spend less time with the likes of UAB & Temple! 

• Upvote 3
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,787

15 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Yes, because as Granny often said, 'you are judged by the company you keep, young man!' 😆  And  it would behoove you to spend less time with the likes of UAB & Temple! 

It sounds like we agree! That said, national name recognition can change in a single season, but DMAs don't move up and down the rankings as quickly as the Top 25. I hope the team shows up this year! Possibly the most pivotal season we've had since 2013 (that didn't turn out too great for us).

Edited by BULLSHTR
*2012, not 2013

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  4,011

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

The ACC Adds Teams to Replace Departures
The ACC reportedly needs to stay at 15 teams to keep its television deal intact with ESPN. If Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Miami leave, four teams - Memphis, South Florida, East Carolina, and Tulane (and maybe UTSA?) - are invited to join the ACC.

Two wild-card scenarios: UConn joins as a football-only member. And the ACC also considers Army and Navy for expansion. 

However, staying at 15 teams won't be easy because...

Once the plates start shifting again in realignment, Yormark shows interest in Louisville, Virginia Tech, and NC State from the ACC and Boise State, South Florida, Tulane, Fresno State, San Diego State, UConn, and Memphis from the Group of 5 ranks for a few spots in expansion.

Edited by Cat941
  • Like 1

WWW.ON3.COM

Wake Forest football coach Dave Clawson explained how the ACC's expansion benefits in-state games on the Tobacco Road.

The Tobacco Road games are against the Wolfpack, Duke and North Carolina. NC State, Duke and UNC are all located within 25 miles of each other while Wake Forest is a bit father down the road in Winston-Salem. The Demon Deacons will play all three schools during the 2024 regular season.

Still, the addition of the three new schools means that Wake Forest is going to have to travel more than ever this season. In fact, they travel to Stanford and Cal in consecutive weeks in late October and early November.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,666
  • Days Won:  19

30 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

The ACC Adds Teams to Replace Departures
The ACC reportedly needs to stay at 15 teams to keep its television deal intact with ESPN. If Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Miami leave, four teams - Memphis, South Florida, East Carolina, and Tulane (and maybe UTSA?) - are invited to join the ACC.

Two wild-card scenarios: UConn joins as a football-only member. And the ACC also considers Army and Navy for expansion. 

However, staying at 15 teams won't be easy because...

Once the plates start shifting again in realignment, Yormark shows interest in Louisville, Virginia Tech, and NC State from the ACC and Boise State, South Florida, Tulane, Fresno State, San Diego State, UConn, and Memphis from the Group of 5 ranks for a few spots in expansion.

Ladies, ladies, please! don't fight over me!

girl fight fighting GIF

• Haha 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  6,998
  • Days Won:  4

East Carolina? East Carolina?? Where did that come from? And if they want Army & Navy, is that preferable to U of SF? Wait...never mind, completely forget the underlying philosophy of the thread. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,666
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

East Carolina? East Carolina?? Where did that come from? And if they want Army & Navy, is that preferable to U of SF? Wait...never mind, completely forget the underlying philosophy of the thread. 

Courting colleges is apparently not necessarily logical nor an exact science.   For example, my daughter is a rising North Carolina high school senior who, after touring Tobacco Road, seems to have fallen in love with the Wolfpack.  When we were back in Florida, although she basically grew up on the USF campus and the Bulls athletic department, she used to be enamored with UF.  So, it could be worse.

48 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Fran Healy What GIF by Travis

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,861
  • Days Won:  436

56 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

East Carolina? East Carolina?? Where did that come from?

Let's just hope that one their most prominant alumni doesn't get involved ....

image.thumb.jpeg.433c014938ebd4571cc5e721d06048a9.jpeg

• Haha 1