Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,066
  • Days Won:  5

“But I think, ultimately, they’re going to get out. There’s too much legal maneuvering and too much shrapnel flying,” Finebaum said. “But I still don’t think they’re any closer to a home. I think a lot of people thought the Big 12 was a good place for them, but it’s really not. That’s not what they want. They want the SEC or the Big Ten, and I don’t think you can say that just because the SEC and the Big Ten don’t seem to want them right now, they won’t end up. I think the SEC and the Big Ten look at is as if, okay, maybe we really don’t want them collectively but if the other guy wants them then suddenly do we have to play defense?”

The legal battle between Florida State and the ACC is ongoing. However, many people do expect the two sides to settle and find a buyout number for Florida State to pay and leave the conference. To do that, however, the Seminoles would need a home to go to. As of now, Florida State doesn’t have that home.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TallyBull said:

Don't you think that when a settlement is reached, the withdrawl date will be a part of that settlement?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  4

Here's how the wagering community sees the G5 odds of making the playoff. Bear in mind that this is not a 'best to worst' ranking, considering that ease of schedule can grease the skids to participation...

Rank… School DraftKings FanDuel BetMGM Caesars
1 Liberty (C-USA) 400 470 unlisted 210
2 Boise State (Mt. West) 400 490 500 400
3 Memphis (AAC) 700 550 600 650
4 Tulane (AAC) 1000 1100 1100 1200
5 Appalachian State (Sun Belt) 1000 1400 1400 1100
6 UTSA (AAC) 1200 1300 1300 1200
7 Texas State (Sun Belt) 1200 1600 1600 1300
8 Fresno State (Mt. West) 1500 2000 unlisted 1400
Edited by WoolyBully
text

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  360
  • Days Won:  0

17 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Here's how the wagering community sees the G5 odds of making the playoff. Bear in mind that this is not a 'best to worst' ranking, considering that ease of schedule can grease the skids to participation...

Rank… School DraftKings FanDuel BetMGM Caesars
1 Liberty (C-USA) 400 470 unlisted 210
2 Boise State (Mt. West) 400 490 500 400
3 Memphis (AAC) 700 550 600 650
4 Tulane (AAC) 1000 1100 1100 1200
5 Appalachian State (Sun Belt) 1000 1400 1400 1100
6 UTSA (AAC) 1200 1300 1300 1200
7 Texas State (Sun Belt) 1200 1600 1600 1300
8 Fresno State (Mt. West) 1500 2000 unlisted 1400

I'm not much of a betting man, can somebody let me know what this means?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,646
  • Days Won:  51

7 minutes ago, Bullsaficianado said:

Means nobody like us

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Crying 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,625
  • Days Won:  10

57 minutes ago, Bullsaficianado said:

Me, too.  It is the one vice I managed to miss.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Miller led the charge in raising funds to ensure the SMU football program would be among the elite once again

All it took was $270 million. That's the cumulative amount SMU is raising to fund its athletic program for the next nine years in the ACC. Last year, the school agreed to join the conference for … nothing; no media rights revenue will be distributed to SMU. 

That's a first in the realignment era but was probably inevitable at some point. Desperate times call for desperate measures as the doors quickly close on Power Four membership. This one involved SMU buying its way into the big time. 

"There's been a lot written about how we gave up $30 million [per year] for nine years," Miller said. "I will tell you it's hard to take the position that you gave up something that you didn't have and furthermore -- this is key -- that we were never going to get."

SMU was an academic fit anywhere with small, private enrollment (7,000 undergrad) and an elite business school. But in a state with 13 FBS programs, it had languished below the line until it found that welcome mat on Tobacco Road.

"I don't want to make this too much about me, but it became obvious to me four, five, six months into [SMU's push] that no conference was going to do anything that was dilutive," Miller said. "My strong sense was SMU was attractive, Dallas was attractive, but the financial piece of it was going to be a big challenge because no one was going to give up a dollar." 

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,553
  • Days Won:  19

15 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Miller led the charge in raising funds to ensure the SMU football program would be among the elite once again

All it took was $270 million. That's the cumulative amount SMU is raising to fund its athletic program for the next nine years in the ACC. Last year, the school agreed to join the conference for … nothing; no media rights revenue will be distributed to SMU. 

That's a first in the realignment era but was probably inevitable at some point. Desperate times call for desperate measures as the doors quickly close on Power Four membership. This one involved SMU buying its way into the big time. 

"There's been a lot written about how we gave up $30 million [per year] for nine years," Miller said. "I will tell you it's hard to take the position that you gave up something that you didn't have and furthermore -- this is key -- that we were never going to get."

SMU was an academic fit anywhere with small, private enrollment (7,000 undergrad) and an elite business school. But in a state with 13 FBS programs, it had languished below the line until it found that welcome mat on Tobacco Road.

"I don't want to make this too much about me, but it became obvious to me four, five, six months into [SMU's push] that no conference was going to do anything that was dilutive," Miller said. "My strong sense was SMU was attractive, Dallas was attractive, but the financial piece of it was going to be a big challenge because no one was going to give up a dollar." 

Wouldn't going independent have been better?

Since they can fund raise so much; all they would need to do was schedule tough opponents AND they could sign media rights deals with networks independently (like UCONN and Notre Dame did). 

4 minutes ago, Bear said:

Since they can fund raise so much; all they would need to do was schedule tough opponents AND they could sign media rights deals with networks independently (like UCONN and Notre Dame did). 

It's about being relevant.  See this from the article:

The entire school's image was at stake, too. FBS is the highest division of major college football with 134 members. But the Power Four is a designation of conferences defined by the leagues themselves and the networks who pay them. They are worth the most because of brand recognition. To that select group goes special access to the postseason -- bowls, College Football Playoff -- because of perceived market value and historic relevancy.  Miller said. "No four-star or five-star football or basketball player coming straight out of high school is going to go to a non-power school. No matter how fast you talk or how much you smile, it just ain't going to happen."

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

Likely not, because while the deep pocketed donors were always there, AAC or independence wasn't going to motivate them to drop that level of cash. They wanted P4/5. This energizes the fanbase with a P4 conference slate of games at home. There's also a light at the end of tunnel because they eventually will get a full share of ACC money at some point. Foots in the door. Independence gets you none of that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2