Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,967
  • Days Won:  436

And it's no mystery who wants to be able to pay players. It's probably only the universities that are actually operating at a profit already paying them.

Edited for even more accuracy.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

With the new TV contracts the majority of the Power 5 schools are on MUCH better footing than they were 5 years ago

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I'm just imagining this same group of posters arguing in favor of this plan if USF was already in the ACC.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm just imagining this same group of posters arguing in favor of this plan if USF was already in the ACC.

This entire board would be swinging 180 degrees if we were in the p5. More people are feeling burned about being semi demoted than they really are about the p5 trying to separate themselves.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If USF wants to play with the big boys again, we will adhere to P5 standards in the new division when the 4-6 ACC schools refuse and take their spot. If Judy and Doug are serious, it would then be time to put up or shut up.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22875447/the-american-likely-to-push-for-ncaa-subdivision-inclusion

The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion July 24, 2013 7:38 pm ET

The American Athletic Conference will likely push for inclusion if the power conferences break into a subdivision or so-called "Division 4," commissioner Mike Aresco told CBSSports.com.

Aresco said he will expound on this topic at the conference's media days in Newport, R.I. early next week, and he wants to know the parameters of a subdivision before discussing further with his presidents.

But on the surface, Aresco believes the American would fit certain criteria such as market size and long-term viability on the field.

“We want to compete at the highest level,†Aresco said.

Once a BCS automatic qualifier as the Big East, the American was ravaged by conference realignment and now sits well below the power five conferences in revenue – a difference of more than $100 million per school over the next seven years.

National sentiment is growing for high-resource schools – namely, those from the Pac-12, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, the ACC and Notre Dame –to have flexibility to spend their money in certain ways.

Paying a player stipend is one, along with increased meals for players or paying expenses for a recruit's parents on official visits. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany at Wednesday's Big Ten Media Day highlighted the need to revisit the 20-hour-a-week time demand on players and a greater commitment to educational trust as part of the restructuring.

Passing meaningful legislature is currently difficult, Bowlsby said, because the entire Division-I body of more than 340 schools plays a part in the governance process.

Though nothing is imminent, Delany expects a structural change within the next year. The issue is complex and could take several turns in the next 12 months. NCAA president Mark Emmert was open about the possibility when addressing Big 12 presidents and athletic directors during the conference's spring meetings in late May.

If a separate governance agreement could be subject to anti-trust lawsuits, perhaps the subdivision will include a membership threshold that any school can meet assuming they are willing to spend the necessary money for inclusion. In that case, the American, the Mountain West and others might have a chance to join, and the big schools still get what they want – the ability to spend their money as they choose.

But the power conferences could up the ante until the smaller conferences can't afford it.

What was telling from Delany's press conference: he referred to “among the five of us (commissioners)†when discussing a subdivision. Not six, but five.

While I am happy that Aresco will be asking about the criteria, part of me keeps seeing the scene from "Revenge of the Nerds 2" when Booger asks the all important question "And who decides the standards?"

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

If USF wants to play with the big boys again, we will adhere to P5 standards in the new division when the 4-6 ACC schools refuse and take their spot. If Judy and Doug are serious, it would then be time to put up or shut up.

If the rumors are true, it D4 would be set up the way FBS/FCS is now.  If you want to be an FBS school, you must provide a certain number of scholarships, have a stadium that holds a certain number of fans, have certain attendence figures, etc.  

So what would happen is that the requirements would cost more money.  In return, you receive more money.  But any school that can meet the requirements could join.  That helps keep the anti-trust people at bay.
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

If the P5 relegated some schools it's natural to think that most of those schools would be "basketball" schools. Which would then make it even more effective if the Non P5 football teams were to say that they wouldn't play any P5 teams in basketball. This stuff, or the rumors about this stuff changes moment by moment.

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,567
  • Days Won:  10

Not going to happen, this thread should just die.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  7,011
  • Days Won:  4

I think the correct sentence structure is:

This thread should just die, but that's not going to happen.

• Upvote 1