Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

No. If the B12 ends up the only game in town(which i doubt) they will join.  They would want $$ and playoff access. Scheduling is incredibly difficult as an independent too. ND is the only one to pull it off and with all the changes i think next round they will join a P2. 

ND has publicly commented about their difficulties even with five games per year with the ACC.

It's a reason why UMass is rejoining the MAC... and why Army agreed to join the AAC.

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,553
  • Days Won:  19

31 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I think so too and it is also why I don't get the reasoning behind only having one team in FL in CFB. NFL has 3 teams NHL\MLB\NBA have 2 teams.

I'd rather have two teams in FL vs NC or Virginia.

Exactly... FL is the 3rd most populated state.

The Big12 has how many Texas schools?

Florida can support 3 teams in the same Power Conference. 

Or, heck, put FSU in the SEC with UF. And we can rival Miami (and make fun of them for not having an OCS -- like everyone did to us). 

Big12 can take ucf... and if they ever lose their Power status, they can bring in FAU. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Days Won:  1

I think the ACC is in its look-in with ESPN now. With ESPN's option expiring in February. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

41 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Before anything else can happen, FSU and Clemson have to resolve their lawsuits with the ACC. That could take years, if they go to trial, or months, if the sides reach a settlement.

Meanwhile, an important date is looming for the entire ACC: February 2025. That’s when ESPN has a “look-in” to decide whether it wants to continue with its ACC contract for another 10 years (2027-2036). Were things completely stable, it would be a no-brainer for the network to keep things as is, given the locked-in price, especially with the revenue it makes from the ACC Network. But if the network opts out … chaos in the streets.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Welcome to Until Saturday, the five-star college football newsletter: More on the ACC's legal drama and Ewers.

If ESPN opts out in February, does that immediately open the floodgates? In other words is the Grant of Rights dead in the water and teams can leave without legal consequences?

Edited by Bob Loblaw

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If ESPN opts out in February, does that immediately open the floodgates? In other words is the Grant of Rights dead in the water and teams can leave without legal consequences?

I think so. The GoR is tied to the media deal - no media deal means nothing to hold the members to. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

No but I think it greatly diminishes any calculation of damages for the breach.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

There would still be exit fees to leave the conference.   The FSU and Clemson lawsuits are basically: "GOR is irrelevant and the exit fees are too high".

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,649
  • Days Won:  52

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Meanwhile, an important date is looming for the entire ACC: February 2025. That’s when ESPN has a “look-in” to decide whether it wants to continue with its ACC contract for another 10 years (2027-2036). Were things completely stable,

I feel like that's an interesting statement given that ESPN tends to be driving the instability to consolidate.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I feel like that's an interesting statement given that ESPN tends to be driving the instability to consolidate.

Well... not entirely.  ESPN offered Pac 10 a $30 million per team offer and the Pac 10 leadership were too arrogant to accept that (in part because Oregon and Washington DESPERATELY wanted to get into the Big 10 - a la Pitt with the ESPN offer for the Big East).

ESPN wants to pay as little as possible for content, right.  The hard part is when a team or conference feels that number is too low.  FSU wants more than what ESPN feels the ACC is worth... but ESPN doesn't feel they would be worth what they are paying for an SEC team.    Fox might for FSU to go to the B1G.

Plus they want the ACC to exist going forward... so they will not pay for Louisville and Pitt to move to the Big 12.  Fox (which is also a Big 12 partner) might, but that's very doubtful as well - considering Fox did not pay more for the 4 Corners schools to join the Big 12 (and Fox declined to bid for the Pac 10).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,649
  • Days Won:  52

22 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Plus they want the ACC to exist going forward.

I am hoping you are right on this!  If ACC goes away I would actually be pretty sad about it.  Probably how people on the west coast feel right now.