Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  518
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, SilverBull said:

There was talk earlier this year when ESPN, Fox and Warner announced the Venu streaming app, that the joint effort could be a precursor to something bigger.  However, some (including, as I recall, a Forbes article) questioned if that might actually complicate future merger or joint venture opportunities.

Just feels so anti-competitive and monopolistic. A few companies (ESPN, Fox) collude with a few schools (P2) to prevent others from competing. You can't get TV ratings if you can't get on the big TV channels. There a lot more schools on the outside than on the inside. At some point those left out are going to get Congress or the FTC to investigate. Interestingly though, The P2 currently is in 26 states. Coincidence?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

The BM has spoken:

BTW, I view "inside dope" reports like this about as valuable as "team sources" reports in advance of the NFL draft.  They are at best speculative and probably outright smokescreens.   While the B1G and SEC may say that, as of now, the risk/reward analysis does not tilt in favor of adding FSU and/or Clemson, it is patently absurd to think that they would not add value, particularly to the B1G, which has to go head to head against the SEC for fan eyeballs and recruits in the football-crazed South.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

I think FSU and Clemson to the SEC does make financial sense for the SEC, AND, but lesser so, for ESPN. TV valuations are based on how many people watch the games (increased ad revenue), and a lot of people will watch FSU/SEC matchups - same with FSU to the B1G and Clemson for both as well. That said, they are MORE valuable to the B1G directly as they are new markets, blah blah blah. ESPN currently has FSU for cheap, so why would they willingly let FSU go to the SEC where they have to pay them more, and on top of that potentially aid in the transition, plus make amends with the ACC? ESPN hasn't been aggressive because they've had a lot of their own restructuring/strategy adjustments over the last few years since TOU. 

At the end of the day, FSU/Clemson to the SEC I think is still the most likely outcome, and quite frankly would be shocked if they went to the B1G. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

23 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I think FSU and Clemson to the SEC does make financial sense for the SEC, AND, but lesser so, for ESPN.

46 minutes ago, USFDan said:

Just feels so anti-competitive and monopolistic. A few companies (ESPN, Fox) collude with a few schools (P2) to prevent others from competing. 

I think adding FSU to the SEC or B10 actually lessens the product ESPN/Fox want to promote.

Hear me out.  Aren't cross league games more interesting that the league games?  If FSU was embedded in the SEC it would much less interesting watching them play UF.  

IDK, just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  270
  • Days Won:  1

55 minutes ago, USFDan said:

Just feels so anti-competitive and monopolistic. A few companies (ESPN, Fox) collude with a few schools (P2) to prevent others from competing. You can't get TV ratings if you can't get on the big TV channels. There a lot more schools on the outside than on the inside. At some point those left out are going to get Congress or the FTC to investigate. Interestingly though, The P2 currently is in 26 states. Coincidence?

The “source” is probably a Clemson source or a source from the B12. In this climate anything they post must be taken with a grain of salt. 

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,067
  • Days Won:  46

The disruptive partner quote could be very damaging. I just don’t see the Big Ten inviting them after what went down last season regarding the CFP selections. Won’t be surprised if they end up independent trying to prove a point and continue on with that Notre Dame mindset.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,067
  • Days Won:  46

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

BTW, I view "inside dope" reports like this about as valuable as "team sources" reports in advance of the NFL draft.  They are at best speculative and probably outright smokescreens.   While the B1G and SEC may say that, as of now, the risk/reward analysis does not tilt in favor of adding FSU and/or Clemson, it is patently absurd to think that they would not add value, particularly to the B1G, which has to go head to head against the SEC for fan eyeballs and recruits in the football-crazed South.

Been hearing that the big ten may not be interested in inviting schools in the Southeast but may look Southwest to help bridge the travel gap from adding USC, UCLA, UW, and Oregon. Won’t be shocked to see Kansas end up there 

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,553
  • Days Won:  19

50 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I think FSU and Clemson to the SEC does make financial sense for the SEC, AND, but lesser so, for ESPN. TV valuations are based on how many people watch the games (increased ad revenue), and a lot of people will watch FSU/SEC matchups - same with FSU to the B1G and Clemson for both as well. That said, they are MORE valuable to the B1G directly as they are new markets, blah blah blah. ESPN currently has FSU for cheap, so why would they willingly let FSU go to the SEC where they have to pay them more, and on top of that potentially aid in the transition, plus make amends with the ACC? ESPN hasn't been aggressive because they've had a lot of their own restructuring/strategy adjustments over the last few years since TOU. 

At the end of the day, FSU/Clemson to the SEC I think is still the most likely outcome, and quite frankly would be shocked if they went to the B1G. 

This makes sense... FSU and Clemson to the SEC is a no brainer. 

Those two are worth more than half of the SEC schools. 

Also, Florida is the second most populated stated in the SEC. Why not control a larger market area!? There are already rival schools in the same state -- Texas A&M and Texas, Ole' Miss and Miss State, Vanderbilt and Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn. 

UF and USC are immune to in-state & in-conference rivarly?! Nah...

Not only would the SEC dominate these state markets; but you also make an argument where the SEC would be far more valuable than the B1G. 

Would you rather watch Rutgers play Northwestern OR Clemson against USC every year. USC is boring right now. 

Edited by Bear

• Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,763
  • Days Won:  8

FSU might end up in a worse situation in the Big12 because of their emotional temper tantrum over the playoff snub. 

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,651
  • Days Won:  52

19 minutes ago, Gismo said:

FSU might end up in a worse situation in the Big12 because of their emotional temper tantrum over the playoff snub. 

Yeah have to be more strategic and try to tamp down the emotions.  Then they looked very bad after the bowl game.