Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  3,655
  • Days Won:  3

I can't imagine what they spent on lawyers at this point. I'm sure that has something to do with how the ACC feels about FSU and vice versa. That bridge is scorched. 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,666
  • Days Won:  52

18 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

I can't imagine what they spent on lawyers at this point. I'm sure that has something to do with how the ACC feels about FSU and vice versa. That bridge is scorched. 

Frenemies at best, enemies at worst.  🤣

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,217
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This was proven to be just a stall tactic to stall your own demise in past similar events.  Just saying.  They shouldn't be placating these guys since they threaten the existence of the org.  Unless they are placating them temporarily to get the upper hand.

41 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Going back a few weeks, IIRC, the ACC was discussing a change in the payouts trying to appease FSU and Clemson. Any word on what happened with that?

The ACC is initiating a performance incentive reward, made up of the 8/3rd's of T1 revenue the conference is retaining from Calford/SMU. This is estimated at $55MM this year. What the total amount is, how they'll determine what "success" is and calculate the payouts, is still unknown. For example

Split it into 55 "units" and reward based on national success, this is a guess as to how it could play out

Football success = 25 units

Basketball success = 15 units

All other sports success = 10 units

1 team makes CFP (+25 points, split if multiple teams, team A), 6 teams make March Madness (+2 points, A,B,C,D,E,F), 3 of those teams make Elite Eight (+1 point, B,C,D), 1 team makes Omaha (A), 1 team wins men's golf championship (D), 1 team wins softball (E), 1 team wins soccer (C) (these will be split by # of national champions and total pool of 10 points, 2.5 each in this example)

Team A units: 25 + 2 = $27MM bonus

Team B units: 2 + 1 = $3MM bonus

Team C units: 2 + 1 + 2.5 = $5.5MM bonus

Team D units: 2 + 1 + 2.5 = $5.5MM bonus

Team E units: 2 + 2.5 = $4.5MM bonus

Team F units: 2 = $2MM bonus

If their "normal" conference distribution is ~$45MM (TV, ACCN, other revenues including NCAAT units, CFP payout, bowl payouts, etc.), then Team A will have a full distribution of $72MM, Team B $48MM, Team C $50.5MM... all the way down the list until the "non-performers" make only the "regular" payout of $45MM. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,666
  • Days Won:  52

10 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

The ACC is initiating a performance incentive reward, made up of the 8/3rd's of T1 revenue the conference is retaining from Calford/SMU. This is estimated at $55MM this year. What the total amount is, how they'll determine what "success" is and calculate the payouts, is still unknown. For example

Split it into 55 "units" and reward based on national success, this is a guess as to how it could play out

Football success = 25 units

Basketball success = 15 units

All other sports success = 10 units

1 team makes CFP (+25 points, split if multiple teams, team A), 6 teams make March Madness (+2 points, A,B,C,D,E,F), 3 of those teams make Elite Eight (+1 point, B,C,D), 1 team makes Omaha (A), 1 team wins men's golf championship (D), 1 team wins softball (E), 1 team wins soccer (C) (these will be split by # of national champions and total pool of 10 points, 2.5 each in this example)

Team A units: 25 + 2 = $27MM bonus

Team B units: 2 + 1 = $3MM bonus

Team C units: 2 + 1 + 2.5 = $5.5MM bonus

Team D units: 2 + 1 + 2.5 = $5.5MM bonus

Team E units: 2 + 2.5 = $4.5MM bonus

Team F units: 2 = $2MM bonus

If their "normal" conference distribution is ~$45MM (TV, ACCN, other revenues including NCAAT units, CFP payout, bowl payouts, etc.), then Team A will have a full distribution of $72MM, Team B $48MM, Team C $50.5MM... all the way down the list until the "non-performers" make only the "regular" payout of $45MM. 

So it is based on performance, not just throwing more money at their top 2 schools? 

Do we think those top 2 schools are okay "earning" more money or just going into a P2?  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

18 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

So it is based on performance, not just throwing more money at their top 2 schools? 

Do we think those top 2 schools are okay "earning" more money or just going into a P2?  

That was the only way to get the other schools to buy into a differential pool of money.

The Big 12, however, are willing to pay specific schools.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I think the SEC and B1G will still be paying out closer to $100MM per school, with near equal revenue sharing across their memberships regardless of performance, by the end of the decade. So, if you HAVE to outperform the rest of the conference heads up, to "earn" up to, say $75-80MM in revenue by 2030ish, or just go to the SEC/B1G where it's essentially guaranteed... which one do you choose? 

EDIT: That said, USF received $8.1MM in conference distributions for 22/23 FY. If those two schools left and USF joined the ACC and had the potential to earn even $50MM in distributions, we'd be over the moon. Not to mention, I think we have the potential to be far more competitive than some of the schools in the B1G/SEC even with a $50MM conference distribution headwind. 

Reality is that there isn’t anything money wise that the B12 nor ACC can do for a school wanted by SEC/ACC. But with the performance pay the ACC is instituting it will make less likely schools would leave for Big12, specially if they also most pay a hefty exit fee, which most likely would be added to those performance bonuses.

Im surprised if any of that Performance Money goes to any sports outside of football and basketball though.

FSU/ Clemson are out the door is only a matter of how much their exit fee will be. But if what we keep hearing about North Carolina/ACC financial ties are true is more than likely that no one else bails now.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,625
  • Days Won:  10

SEC staying at 16

BAYNEWS9.COM

College sports must find solutions from within while also recognizing external pressures from lawsuits, Greg Sankey said as SEC Media Days began.

“Sixteen is our today, and 16 is our tomorrow,” he said, referring to the size of the newly expanded conference...“As I said, we’re focused on our 16. I’ve said before at Media Days, I’m not a recruiter,” he said. “Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion. So I pay attention, but I’m not engaged in those conversations.”

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  5

I'm going to laugh so hard if FSU ends up paired with central.

shameless GIF by Showtime

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,555
  • Days Won:  19

23 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

I'm going to laugh so hard if FSU ends up paired with central.

shameless GIF by Showtime

central wants that though...