Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

Conferences don't want winners, they want eyeballs. It just happens that winning increases the eyeballs. Either way, the ceiling with USF is much higher than any other current G5. USF has been down because of bad coaches... that's done changed.

This

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,081
  • Days Won:  5

FLYWAREAGLE.COM

The Big 12 is aiming to get its funds up -- seeking the use of private equity firms for funding and selling the conference's naming rights to the highest bidder

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,935
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, Brad said:

It doesn’t really matter, that dude can be gone before he gets here

giphy.gif.35956acc1fa1c04dc712f5e7aa6a7be4.gif

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, Cat941 said:
FLYWAREAGLE.COM

The Big 12 is aiming to get its funds up -- seeking the use of private equity firms for funding and selling the conference's naming rights to the highest bidder

If this is even possible of being true, what is stopping the ACC from doing the same and keeping FSU and Clemson? If it's all about making B1G/SEC money, and the Big 12/ACC could both increase their payouts by selling out their conference name.. Why would FSU and Clemson make a lateral move? Wouldn't the B1G/SEC then also do the same and still be making more than the Middle 2?

That's obviously the direction this is headed. Hope you like ads with your ads.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Yep, that's something that is easily overlooked. The thing about fan boards, and it's not a bad thing - just the nature of the environment - is that any single tidbit of positive pub for the home team gets amplified. Especially with programs that have been down for a period of time, it's easy, and comforting, to hang onto anything that lifts the mood. But more importantly, it fills the idle hours between the end of bowl season and the start of regular season play. If the Exalted & Almighty Hands Upon the Tiller aren't forthcoming with realignment facts and figures, I doubt Ricky the Runnin' Recruit is privileged to ultra-classified, need-to-know, read-after-burning information leaked to cement his decision. There's a Grand Canyon sized gulf between "You know, we might be going to Conference X" and "We're going to Conference X". Brides left at the altar and all that...😏

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,935
  • Days Won:  436

15 hours ago, Brad said:

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

Yep, that's something that is easily overlooked. The thing about fan boards, and it's not a bad thing - just the nature of the environment - is that any single tidbit of positive pub for the home team gets amplified.

Okay, I think I get it now. Brad was just ******* on the parade of those who may have gotten a little excited about the "going to a power conference" thing because the recruiter who told him that may not even be here when Garnett gets to campus so he may just be blowing a little smoke at the kid to get him here ......?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

38 minutes ago, Triple B said:

blowing a little smoke at the kid to get him here ......?

And is there anything wrong with that? 'Cause when I was seventeen years old, I stopped by the U.S. Military Recruiting Station, Monroe, North Carolina. Lemme tell you 'bout 'blowing smoke'.  And then there was the job fair in Orlando, and ...

Lying Jon Lovitz GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

I think it’s commonplace for coaches to sell the future  (as they see it) more than the past. I certainly believe that Jim Leavitt had a vision far beyond being a I-AA independent and shared that with the players that he brought to South Florida in the beginning.  We have no recent past to sell. We must sell the future now, too.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,668
  • Days Won:  52

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think it’s commonplace for coaches to sell the future  (as they see it) more than the past. I certainly believe that Jim Leavitt had a vision far beyond being a I-AA independent and shared that with the players that he brought to South Florida in the beginning.  We have no recent past to sell. We must sell the future now, too.

Smart and actually an exciting selling point to get the right kind of mentality in.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,218
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

I could see the ACC grabbing WVU, Cinci, and ucf, + USF.

We all know that WVU, Cinci, and ucf would prefer to be in the ACC.

I agree with this point, although I am not sure c would "prefer" to be in the ACC, as the B12 gave them their first shot - I think there is some precedent/emotional attachment there now. I am not sure if c fans would "prefer" to be aligned with schools like Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, etc. like USF would. I think those four additions to the ACC make a lot of sense, but there is still an elephant in the room - Calford. For Calford to be sustainable long term, they either have to go to the B1G, or the ACC will need to add some neighbors. That's why I think the ACC will target Utah + Arizona St. first, and those two schools may "prefer" to be in the ACC more than Cinci/c. I do think the ACC made a mistake not adding WVU when it had the chance. 

If I were drawing the puppet strings - a settlement is finalized next summer for 2026 exit for FSU/Clemson. SEC adds them both. USF wins the conference either this year (I'd say <25% chance rn, but definitely non-zero), or next year (25%+ chance) and we make the playoff next season. Coincidentally, c potentially wins the B12 next season as well and we face them in the CFP playoff first round... and win 64-12.