Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,807
  • Days Won:  8

It would do USF a lot of good to finish a season ranked.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

I hate the P5 Conferences!

If USF gets invited to join the Big 12 then,

I LOVE the P5 conferences.......

it is all prespective

Absolutely. I wonder if we'd be this sensitive had we never been a place-holder in the Big East?

Of course not. I just don't like inequity. The have's keep getting more and the have not's keep getting less.

That is life in general in the USA

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

a promotion / relegation model would work VERY well in college football.

The kings will always be kings and it gives opportunities to EVERYONE.

say 5 conferences in P51... each aligned to a conference in G5... each aligned to whatever else etc. Top three from each division move up... bottom three move down.

Yeah, a relegation model would work very well.  I'm quite sure that Alabama would be very happy to be relagated after having one bad year.  Or Michigan, or Oklahoma.  They would readily agree to such a system.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

say 5 conferences in P51... each aligned to a conference in G5... each aligned to whatever else etc. Top three from each division move up... bottom three move down.

I really like this idea. Hope we get to it someday.

Will play hell with regional rivalries though. Need to preserve these somehow.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, a relegation model would work very well.  I'm quite sure that Alabama would be very happy to be relagated after having one bad year.  Or Michigan, or Oklahoma.  They would readily agree to such a system.

I don't think that you quite understand the relegation model. In England for example 3 out 20 get relegated. So if you were to scale it down a maximum of 2 teams would be relegated from each conference. Even in their worst year Bama would not finish in the bottom 2 of the entire SEC. Even if they did they would deserve to be relegated. No one is saying that they would agree, but it would be better for CFB as a whole. At least for those of us on the outside looking in.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

Ain't no way, ain't no how. This is just dreamin' and spitballin'. If the P(5) are doing everything they can to ensure a line of demarcation, there is absolutely no incentive to open a door this huge. Way too much downside risk and very little reward. If this had been in place back in 2000, with an SEC/MAC alignment the SEC would have dropped 'bama & Vandy  and added Toledo & Western Michigan.  

How is relegation substantially different - reward wise - than the P(5)/Playoff? If any G(5) is good enough (across the board, ranked highly enough, etc.) they could - in theory - get into the playoff bracket. And if not ranked quite high enough, they would at minimum occupy the reserved 'access bowl' slot. I don't think the relegation model is so much of an equalizer as it is a punishment device. If Toledo or Western Michigan had to play the SEC schedule, how long would they last?

We inch ever closer to a bright yellow line...we stay on our side, they (and you know who THEY are) stay on their side. We'll do whatever mandatory mingling we have to during bowl season, but that's it. 

I don't think that you quite understand the relegation model. In England for example 3 out 20 get relegated. So if you were to scale it down a maximum of 2 teams would be relegated from each conference. Even in their worst year Bama would not finish in the bottom 2 of the entire SEC. Even if they did they would deserve to be relegated. No one is saying that they would agree, but it would be better for CFB as a whole. At least for those of us on the outside looking in.

This part is absolutely true.

When the NFL went to equal sharing of television revenue, the idea was to generate parity and make "on any given Sunday" the catchphrase of the century.

It worked, and made the NFL the most popular and profitable pro sports league in the country. But at the time, the current "power" teams were shirley opposed.

It worked for them, it could work for CFB too. IF ... they can see past their own short-term horizons to envisage the big picture

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

I would love to see a relagation model in place.

To add the model to the reality of the current situation it could be something scaled to football only in a way where the bottom 5 teams in the P5 are relegated to the G5 and the top 5 G5 teams head to the P5.

Conference makeup could become a little difficult based on geography; but I am sure with some thought there could be a workable solution.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

...To add the model to the reality of the current situation it could be something scaled to football only in a way where the bottom 5 teams in the P5 are relegated to the G5 and the top 5 G5 teams head to the P5.

Again, I think there's more to conference realignment than wins and losses in football. With the NFL - the sole product was football on Sunday. With CFL, well it is a business, but tied to college none the less. 

As of today*, the top G(5) would be Boise State, Miami Ohio, Southern Miss, BYU &  Fresno State (with USF not far behind).

The bottom five P(5) would be Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Indiana, Wake Forest & Kansas State (with Duke not far behind).

* simply based on lifetime winning percentage, not last season. For illustration and thought provoking purposes only.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1a.htm

...To add the model to the reality of the current situation it could be something scaled to football only in a way where the bottom 5 teams in the P5 are relegated to the G5 and the top 5 G5 teams head to the P5.

Again, I think there's more to conference realignment than wins and losses in football. With the NFL - the sole product was football on Sunday. With CFL, well it is a business, but tied to college none the less. 

As of today*, the top G(5) would be Boise State, Miami Ohio, Southern Miss, BYU &  Fresno State (with USF not far behind).

The bottom five P(5) would be Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Indiana, Wake Forest & Kansas State (with Duke not far behind).

* simply based on lifetime winning percentage, not last season. For illustration and thought provoking purposes only.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1a.htm

Rather than lifetime (which adds irrelevant 18th century data) or simply the previous year (which could have been an anomaly), a rolling 5-year average would be interesting to see.