Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Bizarre.  Isn’t that how things go, rivalries grow?  I’d never take a shot at the Bulls because someone else took a shot at the Tinmen.  Whoops. 

image.gif.ea955d50b2d523350c97fb50ac871350.gif

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Days Won:  0

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There have been several quotes from Yormak sprinkled in that may or may not have anything to do with the ACC ...

I guess I can never tell and I have not seen his speech.  I read too much on X.   Did he indicate that B12 was interested in expansion outside of ACC teams?  

Edited by CF is NFL Jr

3 hours ago, Bear said:

In the Big East, USF and Rutgers never won the conference... 

But, USF never even came close.

3 hours ago, John Lewis said:

We did come close 1 time. 2005.

Had we won at UConn we would have been playing WVU for the Championship.

I think a lot of people forget we were in the Big East before 2007 ....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

I guess I can never tell and I have not seen his speech.  I read too much on X.   Did he indicate that B12 was interested in expansion outside of ACC teams? 

If I recall the remarks correctly, there were no specific conferences mentioned from where they might pull from ...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  474

1 hour ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

Marketing and Culture.   UCF had a vision of what they wanted their program to be and marketed their size, youth and location in "America's Vacation Land" or something like that.  They had UCFast.  The B12 does not give hoot about academics and they never worried about that. We floundered in Big East memories and Judy's shortsightedness (athletically, facilities and branding) while they won conference championships.     

Their budget stadium created a new football culture for them.  Students tailgating, Alumni on campus.  Hate it or not the term bounce house has gotten them recognition which while not always flattering, is a form of identity.   Their identity reeks of truck stop conference and they don't care, I think they even embrace it. They are a fit for the B12.   Would USF even fit that conference? 

Here is my worry.  What is USF's identity? What makes USF attractive to a new conference? Yeah, yeah, Florida, AAU, new stadium coming online.    How are we being marketed to stand out?  What makes USF exciting?  I am not so sure that USF has the luxury of sitting back on an AAU designation hoping that another conference will see that as a deciding factor for realignment. USF has to win the conference and show excitement for the program whether that is a against Alabama or Rice or Charlotte. 

Was “We were #2 once” not a good enough marketing strategy? Dang. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

Their budget stadium created a new football culture for them.  Students tailgating, Alumni on campus.  Hate it or not the term bounce house has gotten them recognition

This is so true. I am not sure how much kids love the name "Bounce House".  It is the Action Park of stadiums but ya' know what?  Action Park was a blast.

Just now, MMW said:

This is so true. I am not sure how much kids love the name "Bounce House".  It is the Action Park of stadiums but ya' know what?  Action Park was a blast.

They call it the Bounce House in the **** NCAA football games.  Online I see it called that rather than whoever sponsors it.  I have seen the Action Park documentary.  I never went there but it look s a lot like a bunch of stupid stuff I did as a kid.  Fun and danger all wrapped into one 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

9 minutes ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

They call it the Bounce House in the **** NCAA football games.  Online I see it called that rather than whoever sponsors it.  I have seen the Action Park documentary.  I never went there but it look s a lot like a bunch of stupid stuff I did as a kid.  Fun and danger all wrapped into one 

It was a very realistic documentary and I went there many times in the 80's.  None of us realized just how dangerous it was or if we did we thought our parents or someone in authority would put a stop to it.

It wasn't until visited Adventure Island that I understood.  Adv Island rides felt "safe" where I was used to rides that felt "unsafe".  To be clear, we always thought that feeling of "unsafe" was an illusion like the zombies at Halloscream.

As it turns out those were real zombies.

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,697
  • Days Won:  52

28 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think a lot of people forget we were in the Big East before 2007 ....

2005 was a pretty memorable year for me.  Maybe top 2.  2005 was the first time when I went to every game.  Seeing Penn State on TV was wild.  I specifically remember the 3 games after that.  I also vividly remember the cold game against WVU.  Like whoa, cold at a football game?

I wish I could magically transport back to that time.  Oh well.

10 minutes ago, MMW said:

It was a very realistic documentary and I went there many times in the 80's.  None of us realized just how dangerous it was or if we did we thought our parents or someone in authority would put a stop to it.

It wasn't until visited Adventure Island that I understood.  Adv Island rides felt "safe" where I was used to rides that felt "unsafe".  To be clear, we always thought that feeling of "unsafe" was an illusion like the zombies at Halloscream.

As it turns out those were real zombies.

The documentary reminds me of that scene in Pinocchio  where they are on Pleasure Island and its all kids and it is fun but with a very dark underbelly